Old to FMS.... New to Fatigue...... What works????????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by backporchrags, Feb 18, 2006.

1. backporchrags

backporchrags New Member

I have had FMS for many years. Only recently have I started to feel fatigued. It has hit me like a bag of quarters, boom, I'm tired all of the time.
    I am falling asleep at the drop of a hat. I can't sit for too long or I will doze off. My kids are feeling hurt because I am not as active as I once was. They are tired of seeing me so tired!
    Has anyone found a good remedy for fatigue?? What works for you???
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    A
  2. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I have noticed a difference in my energy level when I don't eat sugar and when I eat protien snacks.

Also, short naps during the day get me to the evening easier.

Of course, going to bed early helps but it may not matter if the night sleep doen't go well. Do you take a sleep aid?

Sofi
  3. SueSnyder

SueSnyder New Member

My fatigue has increased in recent years, and starting a year or two ago I also began to actually fall asleep whenever I sat down. Most afternoons I was so groggy by 1 or 2 pm I simply couldn't function. My neurologist, who's a great FM doc (his wife has fibromyalgia), said that some FM patients develop mild narcolepsy, and he prescribed Provigil for me. He said the "sleep-sickness" effect would likely run in cycles of weeks or months, so to take the Provigil daily for a few weeks, then try going without it for a day or two. I've been doing that for the last couple years, and it makes a big difference. And he's right; it DOES run in cycles. Sometimes I'll have to continue on Provigil for 6 weeks or 2 months in a row before the inconvenient grogginess lifts and I can go off of it again. Then I'll be as normal as I ever am for a few months before it hits again.
  4. ive had fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome for over 11 years now.the tiredness and bouts of nodding off in the sitting position anytime of day were the beginings of me realising something was wrong with me,thats when i went to the doctor.
    all i can say as regards my own case is..
    it will get better in time,mine started to get better i think after the first year.the reason it got better was,i think.
    i slept,when ever the fatigue attacked me,i just gave into it.i listened to my body.i think you have to do that in the begining of this illness.you just cant fight it.im not quite sure what i did right in order for the sudden bouts of tiredness to recover so quickly.but i do think our body gives us certain signs and we are usually too busy living life to notice these things.so when this syndrome first starts up,it totally takes over our body.makes us sleep for hours on end.keeps us awake,then the sudden bouts of sleep kick in again.its like a pattern.dont fight it.try to give in to the sleep and eventually if you start to listen to your bodies needs,you will recover.
    even now i might get a day when the sudden bout of sleep attack me.but as ive gotten older and learned to relax more these bouts are very few now,it might happen twice a month,then i can go for quite a few months and the tiredness wont attack me at all.eat regular,and drink water often.dont tire your body,if you dont want to do a chore,then dont do it.just be kind to yourself and let your body heal.i think its part of a body maintenance system,our bodies get totally run down and need to be re charged.

all the best
    fran xx
  5. BuMom

BuMom New Member

I also recommend Provigil for fatigue.
  6. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

might be helpful. My son has been doing injections of it (his dad gives the injection) and I think it helps.
  7. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Hi A,
    I ordered some B-12 sublinguals from Pro Health Store as they seem good about having supplements in suglingual form.

I'll let you know when I get them and try them.

To be frank, A, this weather isn't helping either. In the 40's today and I feel if they would let that groundhog stay in his hole, we may have spring a little faster than yanking him out every year. I can't wait until one attacks the guy who is holding him. I notice the man has gloves on. lol

I'll let you know about the sublingual B-12.

Hugs,
    Faye
  8. backporchrags

backporchrags New Member

I have had FMS from early childhood and am now 36. I have been on a sleep aid for 17 years or so. I do not go into non REM sleep naturally and the Elavil allows me to sleep deeply.
    I am still active. I exercize regularly and enjoy working in my yard/garden. I am also renevating my 1786 farm house.
    All of these things were getting done as well as being active in both of my children's schools. That was until 4 months ago. Now I am having to slow way down and I am irritated.
    The chronic pain I have learned to work around but the fatigue has caught me by surprise. People understand pain more than they do fatigue. I am appearing lazy, selfish, a slacker or a dolt to teachers and people I work around. Not all of these people I wish to know that I have FMS. We all know how hard it is to simply explain, in a brief manner, what FMS is.
    Believe me, I know how lucky I am to still be so active, but just when I thought I had a handle on my symptoms, boom.
    Thank you all for taking the time to respond to me!
    A

[This Message was Edited on 02/20/2006]
  9. julieboo

julieboo New Member

Make sure that you do not have sleep Apnea or low thyroid. If you havent had your thyroid checked in awhile, because things can change.
    We do not need any extra things added on to what we are already struggling with, and these problems have solutions.

Take care,
    Julie
  10. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

Have you been checked for viruses -- especially Epstein-Barr? I believe its the same as mono.

I have it and I'm very tired all the time. It's either that causing it or lyme for me.

Sorry you're having to deal with it.

Sandy
  11. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

Get your hormone levels checked and optimize them...this has worked wonders for me.

You'll probably end up in range for all of them but what you want to do is get them up to the upper 1/3 to 1/4 of the reference range. Look at:

DHEA-S
    Pregnenalone
    Estradiol
    Free Testosterone
    Progesterone
    Cortisol
    IGF-1

Thyroid is the tough one and requires a bit of analysis. At a minimum you need to look at:

TSH
    Free T4
    Free T3
    Reverse T3

Even if all your Thyroid tests come back normal you may still need to supplement or at least try a supplement for a while. I go to an FFC and they say that almost 100% of CFS/FM patients have a low thyroid and which sometimes doesn't reveal itself on tests.

do better - feel better.

Good luck to you...
  12. forfink

forfink New Member

Just started taking a small amount of Provigil in the a.m. and I feel a lot less faigued. It took away that feeling that I just wanted to crawl back in bed after breakfast. I'm really sensitive to medicine so I broke the 200mg tablet into a 1/4. I got a free 7 day trial from my doctor that you fill at the pharmacy.