Omeeomy and Lindyl39

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by alaska3355, Aug 22, 2007.

1. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

We hadn't started a new post, so I thought I'd get the ball rolling...
    I am drying more apricots today. The friends with the loaded tree said they took 200 pounds to the dump and I couldn't bear the thought, so I picked some more. I'll send some to my mother in law and give some to my daughter that just got back from her trip overseas. She is still staying with us and looking for a job, but I think something will happen for her.

Our weather here has been beautiful. Our apple trees are 3 years old now, and they have a lot of pretty apples on them. I tasted one and they are not quite ready to pick yet, but soon. We have jonagold and gala apples.

I hope the two of you are having a tolerable week and are taking care of yourselves......

Hugs,
    Terri
  2. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Hi Linda,
    I hear you haven't been feeling too good- sorry to hear that. Are you able to get up now?
    I picked about 12 pounds of galas last night....they looked pretty good. From the looks of our trees, we may get close to 100 pounds of apples. I may take them and have apple cider made from some of them. I never thought we'd get so many apples! I'll have to figure out where to keep them all......
    We are getting ready for 7th grade....I have all my materials, now I just need to get motivated! I'm as bad as the kids. Plus I think I will have 25 piano students- a new record. I may have bitten off more than I can chew....
    Well, take care (you too, Shirley) and write when you can.
    Terri
  3. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I have only about a week left of summer break, then I start in again. Luckily, it doesn't ALL start the first week....a few students wait until the second week. In answer to your question, Linda, I teach them all individually, so it's about 3 or 4 hours four days a week. It's a nice home-based parttime job and I've always done it. I just need to get back into my routine and I'll be fine.

Linda, I'm praying for your husband's tests to go well....

My dad is having his first hyperbaric chamber treatment today. It's the treatment used for "the bends" for divers and is a chamber you go into, lie down and receive pressurized oxygen for two hours. For him, it will hopefully help his wounds (from diabetes) to heal. He's tried everything else and they haven't healed, so we hope this makes a difference. He'll have to have the treatments five days a week for a month or more, so the chunk out of their day will be tiring. But you do what you have to do.

Take care and write when you can-
    Hugs from Terri
  4. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

All 5 of my kids can play piano but none of them has really worked at it. They also play other instruments- oboe, violin, trumpet and clarinet. We could have a regular band here!

I'm sorry to hear that both of your sisters have been in the hospital. Hospitals are no fun, but sometimes they are necessary. I think you have a point with black lung.....what do you think, Linda?

No job yet for my daughter, but she has some serious leads to follow up on today, so she may have one soon!

Take care,
    Terri
  5. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Chili dogs, onion rings and snow cones......mm mmm, not a good diet! The closest thing to a veggie was the onion rings, and they had lots of nice batter on them. Oh well, it's only once a year....

Today it has cooled off considerably- I think it's in the 80's. We should have gone to the fair today instead! I have some piano students that raise goats, and they were so excited to show me the ribbons they had won! One of their goats sold for $2000! I had no idea goats were so valuable. Now my husband thinks we should raise some.....no thanks!

My dad seems to be benefitting from his hyperbaric treatments. He takes a nap while he's laying there or watches the news. Someone saw him lying in there so peacefully, they wondered if he had passed away. He said he was laying there with his arms folded across his chest and his eyes closed, so he could see why the man thought that. Kinda funny....

Well, girls, have a nice weekend!
    Hugs, Terri
  6. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

and sort of my official last day of summer. Tomorrow I start teaching again. I hope my attitude improves....I want more summer!

I hope you are both feeling better. Linda, perhaps you'll be able to set up the V.F. test for your husband. I hope everything isn't closed for the holiday.

Shirley, in my daughter's area (Fairbanks area) they have had a really nice summer. Usually August is cool and rainy, already well into an autumn feel. But this year, she said it has been so nice and warm. She also had access to a greenhouse this year (her neighbors') and planted tomatoes and cukes. She has tried making dills and has had some tomatoes ripen. Sometimes, ours wouldn't ripen until fall, when we pulled the plants and hung them upside down in our garage. So we would be harvesting our tomatoes in October and November!

I was given a nice box of peaches from our neighbors....so I'll probably freeze most of those today.

Take care, friends!
    Terri
  7. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

What is your favorite piano music to play? I am mostly classical- I go for a lot of Bach and Debussy. I also play for church occasionally, so I look for music for that and enjoy pretty arrangements of hymns.

I think I'll play some today, so I don't sound too rusty for my students tomorrow!
    Terri
  8. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Linda, I remember wishing for storms too- two of our kids were born in the Las Vegas area, so I recall the never ending sunshine and wishing for rain! Or even clouds to cover up the sun! There can be too much of a good thing.....

We had a little Labor Day picnic at a local recreation site here. It was a beautiful day and all went well except for when it was time to eat.....bees everywhere. They were aggressively seeking our food, so I wound up sitting in the car with one of the twins, eating our hot dog there! But after we cleaned up, we walked along a creek and sat on a huge boulder....I could have stayed there for an hour. The creek was so clear and cold. I had to wade a little to remember how cold it was! It was a nice family time.

Good luck with the doctor's office, Linda. And Shirley, I hope all is well with you.
    Hugs, Terri
  9. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

for a few days. My husband is taking a course in home safety this weekend, so we are leaving the kids (our older two will be in charge of the younger two!) and I'll see what the area has to offer. I'll probably shop and take in a movie, if there's anything worth watching. Maybe I'll just watch some old movies on the hotel cable....anyway, you both have a good weekend.

Terri
  10. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

We got back from our trip last night- we both had a great time, doing our own things! I shopped till I dropped and found great deals on school clothes for the twins. Got myself a few things too! There were still blackberries growing wild everywhere, so I picked a couple of quarts for our freezer. Not that I needed them....I still have some from last year!

Linda, how was the game? Were you awfully worn out from the walking? I hope it was a fun experience for you.

Shirley, how are you doing? We didn't hear from you much last week- is your garden all done now? I have some catching up to do since I was gone.

Have a good day-
    Hugs,
    Terri
  11. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Linda, I know you were hoping more for a VF diagnosis- more treatable. Well, nothing is for sure yet and I'll pray that it is something benign. I'm sure he is not looking forward to the needle biopsy but it's better to know than to put your head in the sand. My husband has had a short bout with cancer- he had a kidney removed in '01. He has been just fine since, although he gets cold more easily. Weird- I didn't know kidneys kept you warm!

I'm glad you had a great time at the game! Fun to do something totally different! Like me and my shopping- I had a good time not being on a schedule. I just went where the wind took me.

Shirley, I hope you'll be able to check in soon. We miss you.
    Hugs, Terri
  12. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Linda- yes, we lived in Alaska for 14 years. My eldest daughter still lives there. She helped us with the move to WA. state but went back there to live. Of course, now she is married and has a little girl. She told us this week she is expecting again! So I'm praying that this one makes it.

My other daughter got home a month ago and has been job hunting ever since. Now I think she is set....she has two jobs. She wants to be on her own again- she's been living at home and going crazy. She'll probably live with some girls from her Christian group and she'll even get reduced rent. So things are falling into place for her.

My son loves his new job at the grocery. He talks to a lot of people he knows and I know he is a hard worker. So things are going well for him too. He always comes home with a smile on his face.

Shirley- I will look up your state park....I'm sure it is a beautiful area.
    Take care and have a good weekend.
    Hugs,
    Terri