OMEGA 3 FIsh/salmon oils?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by quanked, Aug 4, 2010.

1. quanked

quanked Member

Anyone know if this oil stuff is good for cholersterol? I googled this product but there are so many choices--fish oil/salmon oil, other kinds of omega 3's, etc.

I read that it helps prevent heart disease (I think).

All input will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  2. Tizz

Tizz New Member

on this one. If you look closely you can even find fish oil that has been purified so it doesn't contain mercury. Or, docs can prescribe it for you...

I take one triple omega per day (omega 3-6-9) containing fish, flaxeed, safflower & olive oils. I also take a purified fish oil (my body has enough problems without mercury poisoning!) I recall the results of a study a couple of yrs ago that showed the ideal combination was 3 times as much fish as flaxseed as safflower/flax oil, and twice as much olive oil, per day. But I use olive oil in cooking... And I do eat fish - usually salmon - a couple of times a wk.

There is also borage oil (or evening primrose), which MAY be helpful in regulating cholesterol and blood sugar.

3. quanked

quanked Member

sounds like you both enjoy fish. That must make getting omega 3’s easy. My son loves fishing so maybe he can catch me a couple (the limit is 2).

I eat some fish now and then. When I see wild salmon on sale I sometimes pick up a couple of pounds. I think of trying some others kinds of fish but never sure how to cook them. Years ago I use to fry up red snapper dredged in cornmeal. I do not do much fried meat or anything anymore.

What kind of dosing is normal on the fish oil and is salmon oil better than fish oil as some websites claim? How does one tell if the omega 3’s improve anything?

This supplement issue is hard work. So many choices.
  4. quanked

quanked Member

So then you are saying that it is better to have more than one source of omega 3's?

I will google borage/primrose oil. I am curious to know what borage oil is. I am often amazed at the new things I learn on this board.

5. Tizz

Tizz New Member

Fish is Omega-3. If I remember correctly, olive oil is Omega-6, and flaxseed is Omega-9.

My doctor suggested I use supplements of these oils. There is scientific evidence to suggest that Omega oils, especially Omega-3 (fish) and olive oil, can reduce the risk of coronary heart disease. Omega oils may also help to control cholesterol levels.

However, the FDA says the evidence is "not conclusive".

As for the borage oil/evening primrose oil -- Barry Sears (the "Zone" books) is the main advocate for these. Sears is/was a researcher by profession (before he started writing books) and if you read his original book, "The Zone," he discusses borage oil at great length.

6. Tizz

Tizz New Member

There are other healthy oils found in certain foods that can (probably) help with cholesterol.

For example, avocados -- they're a tasty source of HELPFUL oils. Nuts, too, especially almonds, contain healthy oils and other substances that are believed to be useful in controlling cholesterol.

And everyone here has heard of grapeseed extract. Grapeseed oil is healthy, too, and doesn't add a strong taste to whatever you're cooking.

Of course, if you eat lots of fries cooked in lard, your cholesterol is likely to be a problem no matter what healthy things you eat, or what supplements you take.