OMG....A SNAKE in my house

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kathleen12, May 11, 2008.

1. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

Last night, on my way into my kitchen, I saw about 3 feet of the tail end of a snake! The other half of him was up under the bookcase!

I waited until he exposed his head so I could determine if he was poisonous or not and decided he was non-venomous. I think it was a chicken snake.

So I called my neighbor and asked for his assistance and told him NOT to bring a gun as I didn't want him or my house shot up. So here he comes with a 2x4. I told him I didn't want him killed, I just needed his help in catching the thing.

My neighbor was of little help in that respect and was deathly afraid, but I told him just to put the blunt end of the board on the snake's head so I could pick him up behind the head, which he did and I did. It was about 4 1/2 to 5 feet long!

I had to carry the thing about 60 yards in order to thorw him into the woods where he belonged. The thing was wrapping itself around my hand and arm and almost managed to contort itself out of my fingers! So when I finally got to the edge of the woods, I flung him as far as I could!

I think this is the same snake that my late father kept getting "visited" by. I just am now wondering if he had been hibernating in my house all winter! I'm still kind of jittery over this!

[This Message was Edited on 05/12/2008]
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

OMG is RIGHT! Um...I'd have to move!!!!
    I do not like snakes, I do not like big snakes, I would not like snakes in my house!!!!!!!!!

I remember when I was growing up we lived in a beautiful house on 6 acres. Thankfully we had a storm door on the front door because when my Mom went to open the door she saw a 6 foot rattlesnake laying up against the door. Can you imagine opening the door to that???

Dad had also found 7 baby rattlesnakes on a bail of hay. My job was to feed the horses everyday - THAT day Dad fed them (someone was watching over me!!) He cut the heads off and when he finally told me about them they were in a bucket still rattling. YUCK!

You're so brave - I would not have picked it up. I would've screamed and left. Snakes aren't like mice are they - like when there's one, there's two? Ewwwwwwww.
    Jittery? I'd be shaking..(or moving like I said LOL!!!!!!!)
  3. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

I actually woke up with a nightmare last night about there being a bunch of snakes in my house. Couldn't go back to sleep after that!

If you're concerned about the snake (or other critters) getting back in, it might be a good idea to have a handyman go around the house to seal up any places they might find an opening. Around pipes, etc.

I once had to deal with a 4 ft. long snake in our garage. My husband was away on business. I tried sweeping him out and across the driveway, but the darned thing got back to the garage before I could run over and close the garage door! And then it started acting like it wanted to bite. So I ended up having to kill it with a shovel. I hated to do it, but I could not let that snake keep living in the garage. For a week after, I'd jump anytime I saw a long stick or an electric cord or anything else that looked the least bit snakelike!

And you actually picked it up! You're much braver than I am!

Best wishes,
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

Kathleen,,,What a Brave Gal you are!,We have to be when there is no choice right!,(Kind of like me having to fight fire),,,Lolol,,

I'm Glad your safe and that your Neighbor was able to help you get the Snake out of your house!!,,,,,,,Take care!,,,Sis
  5. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

Yeah, Sis, Gotta do what ya gotta do! I don't think bravery had much to do with it, it just had to be done and my neighbor was having NO part of picking it up! But at least he held it's head down for me.

Janelle,,,this house is so old and too many places to patch, that by the time the handyman finishes, I'd practically have a new house....LOL. Gosh, what a way to have to wake up....nightmares about snakes and then reading a post like this! You poor dear, you think you'll be able to sleep at all tonight?

Janalynn,,,,I've had to deal with a few rattlers myself before. Fortunately there was always someone here to shoot them for me. Seems like every year, I have to deal with those creatures!

6. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

And I thought a Spider was bad!

7. stick2013

stick2013 Member

I work for some people that have 2 houses JOINED together by a pool that is fully enclosed. It is a huge outdoor pool but enclosed and joined by the two houses. Weird but actually very cool. Last year I was running the vac on in the pool area and out slithered a snake....

Let me tell you...I screamed and the homeowner came running. I was in the house by then and shaking. He then mentioned that there is actually 2 snakes that hide underneath the slate floor and they do come out at times......UGH!!!!!!

Several weeks later he killed one of them, I haven't seen the second one, but I am ALWAYS on the look out when I am in the pool area cleaning.....
  8. caffey

caffey New Member

Now I know why I live in a condo. If I saw that you wouldn't see me for dust. I have the shivers just thinking about it. You are one brave lady. I don't like anything smaller than a cat or dog.
  9. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Snakes love water and any property near it is a potential snake den. We have an area around here that has underground water springs. Every property in that sector is full of snakes. They are in the walls, ceilings, basements. You can't get rid of them because they've been breeding over there for like a thousand years.

I'm very grateful I never had them. I've had mice. I'd rather have the mice.
  10. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Wow Kathleen, you sound like a "snake whisperer"! I'm glad you're ok. What a crazy situation.

This reminds me of my own snake story. (And I'm sure you want to hear all about it right?) ;-) Several years ago when I lived in an apartment complex, a neighbor that lived across the breezeway called me and said that she had a long snake "hanging out" on her porch.

We lived on the third story, so the snake had nowhere to go. (I bet if my neighbor waited long enough the snake might have slithered back down to the first floor, but who knows??!) Anyway, she called me to come over and help her out---as if I knew ANYTHING about snakes! I looked the snake over for a long time through the sliding glass door to try to get a gauge of if he was poisonous and long story short, I didn't think he was (good thing he wasn't!).

After that, I took the plunge and ended up tossing him over the porch over three stories onto the parking lot. I of course made sure no one was in the parking lot first! Looking back, this all seems rather risky. I don't know why we didn't call our apartment's maintenance men for help. It makes for a funny story now though!

Glad this is all behind you now. I say have a glass of wine and relax!

All the best,

11. sisland

sisland New Member

It's fun to read everyones adventures with Snakes!,,,lol,some scarey ones!,,,,Where i grew up we just had the little water snakes like what tea~~ talked about,,,

they were plentiful in the summer,,but mostly just near the springs and the creek,,,,,not near the house,,,at least i don't think they were!

how do you tell if they are poisonous??,,,,sis
  12. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Good on ya!

13. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

The poisonous snakes have a broad head and a definate "break" between the head and body....kind of arrowhead shaped. the non poisonous ones have heads that are narrow and the same width as his body. And around here, those little "water" snakes that you speak of are water moccasins and are very aggresive and can be deadly.
  14. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

Erika...Isn't it funny how you only think of a better alternative after the fact???LOL

Rafiki....Yeah, I guess I can give myself a little pat on the

Twinofdar....I'm a bit stunned myself and I hope I don't have to do THAT again!

Tea...I think those snakes you speak of are Moccasins. We have those around here too.

Caffey.....I'll tell ya what, I wanted to run too, but was afraid the blasted thing would get behind my fridge and scare me again the next day!

Stick...That sounds like such a cool pool! Except for the Snakes!

Delores...I don't like spiders in my house either, but I think I'd rather have a spider than a snake any day. And I do have lots of spiders!
  15. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Snakes are not my one of my favorite animals. We rarely see snakes here in WI but when we do they are usually only little grass snakes or those big bull snakes. YUCK!

I understand you did what you had to but I think I would have let the neighbor shoot holes into my floor. LOL.
  16. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Kathleen - - - -

In my younger years in nursing school not sure who put or how this dumb snake got into the housemothers room. Somehow, I went in picked it up and threw it outside in the grass someplace. I think I must have dumped it our the window. There were lots of woods in the area. It was in upstate NY. I don't think it was two big but it was big enough and not sure if it was poisonous or not either. Personally, now I think it was a pretty dumb move on my part !!

I tell you I would NEVER do it aain. They are to scary and I can't move as fast as I used to in my late teens or early twenties for sure (-: !!

Thanks for all the crazy snake stories !! They are not my favorite animals either. Don't ask me why I picked up the stupid thing anyway.

17. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

you girls are just silly. It is a well-known fact that snakes do not harm people unless:
    1) they are poisonous, and they bite you, or
    2) they are large constrictors and they constrict you.

My mother tells the story of the time she and grandma went to the cemetery. Grannie saw a garter snake, jumped over two tombstones, and set a record for the 50 yard hurdles. Livened up the place considerable.

18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

But I divorced him!

Love, Mikie
  19. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

We had a rat snake that was about 6ft long on our lawn in NJ but I guess they are harmless we carried him away on a forked branch. But you were brave and thanks for not killing him.

Love Annie
  20. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

I hope you are feeling a little less jittery today! I think we must get in the "fight or flight mode". Seeing a snake is just not an everyday occurrence for most people, certainly not for me!

Rock, at the time the incident happened, I for one had no clue if the snake was poisonous since I didn't know jack squat about snakes. Now, all I know about snakes is that there is one type that I can throw out of a three story window and be lucky enough to tell the tale. Which brings me to the question that others here already asked: how DO you know if a snake is poisonous? (Besides hanging around to find out?!) ;-)

Mikie, cute joke!

Warm wishes, Erika