OMG Has anyone tried to get off CYMBALTA????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fieldmouse, May 1, 2007.

1. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I am thinking that Cymbalta is worse than any prescription drug or elligal drug ever to try to get off of. I didn't realize the side effects of this drug while taking except that I gained 30 lbs. I was told that my PB was a little high and I need to loose weight so I thought well, I will wein off the cymbalta, it don't seem to be helping after all these months anyway. I cut to half a dose for one day and forgot to take it the next. No big deal for most meds. Not enough to cause side effects. I have forgotten to take meds or ran out for a couple days before and didn't notice much. Anyway, after one day of not taking this stuff, I have horrible side effects( withdrawawls I guess)....By las night I was throwing up, dizzy, and feeling like I had little zapping feeling in my brain or behind my eyes or something. I starting looking up info about cymbalta and I found a site of posts that scared the S*** out of me. I don't know what to think. Is anyone else on this horrible stuff that has any advice or experiences like I have had???? Please help!!!! Thanks, Mickie
  2. mebonlybecky

mebonlybecky New Member

I have been on cymbalta now for about 3 months, I was on Efexor RX 200mg for years. The dr. wing me off it step by step, mg wise. I had alot of the things you said you are having now. Plus one min i would cry, all day, or in outbrust, then in a dazy and couldnt think. And all the kids and hubby took alot during this time. There were times they didnt do nothing and I seamed to go looking for a fuss. I was very hard for all of us. But they understood.

First did your dr give you packs to bring you down? Hope you are not doing it by just cutting them in 1/2. I picked a time alot of things were not going on, like things at school or when the kids where home on spring break. that way not as much stress.

When I was coming off of the effexor i use to take it at 530 sharp am. But when I went to come off of it, everyday, I waited an hr more to take it. So when I was down to the last form of it, I was taking it about 12/1. It seamed to help, and I made it threw the afternoon, and it helped because my kids got to see another day.. lol

Hope you can make it, sorry I could not help any more. talk to your dr. I myself have lost with it. But all meds effect people dirrent.
  3. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I took lexapro before cymbalta and ad good luck with it at first but then, like everything, it stopped working. I didn't have any withdrawals like this from it. I am guessing it is alot safer than cymbalta. Good luck on your decision. I think there is good and bad with all antidepressents. Hugs, mick
  4. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

This drug is the hardest of the AD's to get off -- it is not just you. Some people never get off it. You might ask your doctor to give you a little Prozac to "fill in" -- just a tiny bit. I wouldn't suggest some of the others as they are hard to get off too.

I often think people may be imagining that these drugs are doing so much for them because they feel so awful when they try to go off them but it's actually just the withdrawal.

Also, do get the lower dose rather than cutting them, just to be sure you are getting what you think.

My doctors press these drugs on me for the pain relief and I feel guilty and conflicted everyday for not taking them but, honestly, they don't seem all they're cracked up to be in terms of helping and then this problem!

I feel like the drug companies want us hooked. Think about it. And the doctors want to prescribe anything that isn't a real pain reliever, so away they go!

You'll work it out. Slowly. Very slowly.

Best wishes and come here for support for sure.
  5. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

for all your replies. I know it will work out but it is REALLY scarry......Thanks again, mick!
  6. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

Is there a recipe someplace? mick
  7. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

8. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I appreciate all your advice so much...Thanks to everyone and I will see what my PCP will do to help me get off this horrible medicine. I sure don't want to be stuck on this stuff forever.....Thanks again, Mick
  9. sueliza

sueliza New Member

I found that my pharmacist was more knowledgable about getting off ad's than my doctor. I would check with them and your doctor.

I was only on 50mg of zoloft and it took over a month to get off it. I went to 25 for a week or two then 12.5mg for a week or two, then every other day for a week, every third day - you get the picture.

It helped, I could always tell when I went to the extra day I was lightheaded, dizzy and had that funny feeling in my head.

Someone also mentioned the prozac, I would look into it. Prozac has a really long half life - I have seen it listed as 7 - 9 days compared to cymbalta at about 12 hours.

I hope you feel better!
  10. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I withdrew from both Effexor, replaced with Cybalta, and then off it...and it was a hellish experience in total. When I feel depressed, I think about this experience and vow never to use anything like that again.

I am sorry for you and your experience, but it isn't is the norm.

You need to wean slowly and even then it is not fun.

Best of luck...

11. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I'm going thru it w/ Wellbutrin now for a mth and a half and counting. It will take me a good third of a year to do this because the symtoms are so bad.

Wellbutrin is a real bugger too because it only comes in 2 doses, so every increase/decrease is 50 mgs. That's a big leap and boy do I feel it, crushing fatigue, headaches, big pain increase, clumsy, very rough.

So I've been doing my decrease every 3rd day for a mth and every second day for about 2 wks and I'm trying to take the plunge and get to the decrease every day, but I sometimes back off just to get stuff done. Past experience has shown it takes up to 2 mths for my body to adjust, back when I was dumb enough to just do the decrease at once.

There are several supplements I take to lesson the w/drawal: high dose pantothenic acid (vit. B5 3x 500 mg), adrenal glandulars (supports adrenals and hormones for energy and mood, both Wellbutrin and Cymbalta supply norepinephrine which our adrenals turn into adrenaline s0 we are really wiped when we reduce the drugs). Those are my mainstays, but lately I've added combo amino acids for brainfood and they do make me feel sharp and energized very quickly.

Good luck, its tough.

12. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

I just got off of cymbalta and went through hell for 2 months and thats weaning off slowly! The dizziness, brain zaps, hearing weird stuff in my head very irritible , nightmares, sweats ,shakes and the list goes on.I thought i'd go nuts!!This drug should never been approved, its horrible i felt like a heroin addict . Hang in there it will get better but will take awhile. I still have the brain zaps every once in a while. If I can help you in any way please contact me. God Bless Becky
  13. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

Did you take a low dose of any other antidepressent while getting off cymbalta? I have had people say that helps but I just don't know. If there was anything you did to help the withdrawals, please let me know. Thanks Mickie
  14. megant19

megant19 New Member

Hi all, I'm new to this board, but reading all these posts have been a godsend, glad to know I am not going crazy and that others experience a lot of the things that I have recently.

I can completely relate to this. I took Effexor for years and weaning off of that was complete hell. It took me 3 months going down extremely slowly, and have not taken it now in almost a year. I STILL get brain zaps sometimes when I'm very tired, so I'm afraid it has damaged me somehow for life, I can't imagine its still in my system after a year. When I went back to my dr. recently for some pain problems, they tried to prescribe me another anti-anxiety medication - I said no thanks. Never again. I don't know if the fact that I'm not on anything is making my muscle pain, fatigue, stress worse, and I don't know which is the lesser of 2 evils. Any advice?
  15. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

I was on 90mg for 3yrs.I told my GP I felt it had stopped working for leg pain so I wanted off.He said just stop taking it.I was scared of withdrawl so at my Rhuemy appt.I asked him and he said take half every other day.What? They are caps. so he said one every other day.I went through horrible withdrawls.My BP dropped and I felt faint,vomiting,zaps,and was really sick for a week.What is wrong with some of these Drs.?But I knew better and did as they suggested so I'm so mad at myself.
  16. Engel

Engel New Member

and took lyrica for a very short time. I would rather have stayed on the cymbalta (too expensive though). Did you stop taking it cold turkey??? I had no trouble weaning off of cymbalta after a year BUT I was weaning off of it onto an anti-depressant. I was somewhat tearful. I think I am the only person who did not gain weight on cymbalta. I sure didn't lose either.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/02/2007]
  17. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

skipped one day then forgot to take it the next. Wasn't really on my toes that day but after the way I felt not taking it, it made me realize how dangerious it might be. I will definetly talk to my doc and pharmacist before doing anything. Thanks for all your responses. I appreciate ALL the advice....Thanks again, Mick
  18. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

Cymbalta was the most amazing and the most horrific thing to ever happen to me.

The amazing part was that it got rid of my pain--ALL OF IT. I wasn't tired, I could exercise, and I wasn't depressed. My anxiety even went down.

The horrific part was that I DID gain a little over 30 lbs. I also started getting other adverse effects, like heart palpitations and an elevated pulse rate.

And, even more, when I'd started cymbalta, I'd only JUST been diagnosed with fm--my full symptoms hadn't kicked in yet. After I got off the cymbalta, I was in PAIN. All the time. Like I'd gotten mono. And I was tired, couldn't concentrate.

And I went through the WORST, and I mean WORST withdrawal EVER when I got off cymbalta. My PCP wasn't real knowledgable about cymbalta, 'cause my rheum had prescribed it, and she wanted me off of it 'cause of the adverse side effects, so she told me to go cold turkey.

NEVER EVER AGAIN. That was the worst. I had such bad withdrawal from it...which only made the added FM pain so much more unbearable.

I've been off of cymbalta for almost a year, and I've only managed to get rid of about 6 or 7 lbs. I'm not sure if it was the FM or the Cymbalta that made it so hard to lose weight, but it seems to be getting a little easier now.

The only other good thing about getting off cymbalta was that my migraines went away a bit after that. (I had a 6 month long migraine--ONE, no joke. 24 hours a day, every day.)

Cymbalta was a godsend, but my appetite didn't increase--I was eating normally, and somehow I gained 30 lbs. It was ridiculous.

Bottom line? I'd recommend getting more cymbalta and weaning off slower, because the withdrawal I went through was the most excruciating two weeks of my life.
  19. SunnyShine

SunnyShine New Member

I've been on and gone off of 5 different antidepressants in my lifetime and the withdrawals from Cymbalta were the worst by far. It took me months and there were some days I was so dizzy I could hardly walk.

Here is how I finally got off Cymbalta (keep in mind that I did this without any kind of doctor's supervision because I had no insurance): I found online a suggestion of taking a low dose of Prozac for a week and then just stopping the Prozac. According to the site (sorry, I don't remember what it was), Prozac has a longer half-life and so it leaves your system more slowly and gives your body time to adjust. My partner had some Prozac so I took a small dose of Prozac (not sure about the dosage, probably whatever the smallest therapeutic dose would be) for 5 days and then quit. I still had some dizziness and brain zaps, but it was manageable.

I didn't start the Prozac until I was weaned down to 30mg of Cymbalta every other day. I don't know if it would have worked if I'd started sooner than that.

Fieldmouse, I wish you the best of luck. Getting of the Cymbalta is hard, but it can be done.

Take care,
  20. jmq

jmq New Member

for the warning! I have been on cymbalta about a year. I have increased and decreased the amounts over time but never considered stopping it yet. I still feel it has really saved me from a terrible depression. I think once I figure out my disability situation and feel more stable...I will probably try to wean off. I am glad to know in advance what to expect.

Hope you feel better soon,