OMG, Herx From Hell

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've been on Famvir for about a week now and just took a bromelain capsule this morning on an empty stomach. This bromelain is super concentrated with 2,400 GDU's. My stomach was churning and then my torso started to burn. I am about to fall asleep and just had the typical Herx diarrhea.

I don't know whether I would have Herxed without the bromelain or not, but my guess is that it is working already with the Famvir to oust the nasty little beasties from my bod.

Love, Mikie
  2. memaw

memaw New Member

sometimes the cures are as bad as the illess, doesn't it? I hope this is a healing crises for you and that you will much better tomorrow. Hang in there.!

love,
    Memaw
  3. 2girls

2girls New Member

I hear you! I had to stop taking the bromelain. I simply could not function and was literally bed bound - I too get the burning torso. Today is my first day without it and I am still in a flare or herx or whatever from hell.

Hope you can tolerate it better than I.
    Keep us posted,

2girls
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I don't know whether to say I'm sorry you are herxing because it is so uncomfortable, or to say I am glad you are herxing because it is obviously getting rid of some nasty beasties!
    Just remember what the monkey said when he swallowed the peach pit: "This too shall pass".
    (((HUGS)))
    Klutzo
  5. beeleaf

beeleaf New Member

So, what does Herx mean?
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Sometimes you can page back to read the replies and page forward again to your own reply and sometimes it isn't there when you do this. I just lost everything.

Thank you all for your kindness and my best wishes for everyone who is also going through the ABX and/or bromelain treatments.

Bek, you need to go find articles here in our library about the ABX treatment. Dr. Nicolson is the father of this research in our illnesses and his articles will tell the types of ABX and dosages. Docs need to see something from other docs before they feel comfortable prescribing. BTW, I did start out slowly; I only took one capsule. It's just that these are highly concentrated.

Klutzo, thanks for the laugh.

I'm sorry if I do not address everyone else here but I'm afraid I'll lose my reply again if I look back. I am exhausted and my memory isn't too hot today. To whomever asked about Herxing, it's a reaction to massive killoff of pathogens in the body. If you do a search, you can find all our posts from it. We've discussed it extensively.

Again, thank you all for relating your experiences with this stuff and for you good wishes. I send my best wishes to all of you too.

Love, Mikie
  7. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

OK, now you're scaring me! I'm actually starting to feel better, finally - not sure what's doing it but the improvement seemed to take hold when I added B-12. I was sick for so long, I hate to lose it.

I looked at the two Bromelain bottles at the health food store - one had a GDU of 500 and the other 1,500. You just sealed the decision for me! I'm going to start out at 500!

JoAnn
  8. tansy

tansy New Member

of bromelain. I worked up slowly with tabs that were just 600 gdu, I now take 2 a day and will only start on stronger ones next week. Perhaps a weaker version would be better to start with, I think a lot of us have to use treatments this way regardless of what the general advice might be.

Seems so unfair that many of us have ot suffer in order to improve.

Hope it all settles down soon.

Love

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 09/03/2003]
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I will try again when I get home. I thought from what I read that the more GDU's, the better. Guess what I think GDU stands for :)

Love, Mikie
  10. victoria

victoria New Member

This is really interesting to read about everyone's reactions with bromelain! I took a lot of it about 3 years ago - started with SEVEN 500 mg/2000 gdu pills/day, quickly upped it to TEN, and did this for months to take away inflammation from bone spur that had crippled me. Within 6 months after adding the bromelain, I was walking normally, and it always helped in taking away the pain on a daily basis.

Maybe this means I don't have the little beasties in me? I'd like to think so.

More than likely it just proves once again that everybody's different! I seem to be one of the few that can't take OLE, for instance!

Hope you're up and feeling better soon, Mikie!

Very soft hugs,
    Victoria
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am doing fine this evening, but I am tired. I Herx fast and hard and get over it quickly. I am very lucky that way.

Take care, all.

Love, Mikie