OMG! I am approved

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kellyslaw, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Kellyslaw

Kellyslaw New Member

Dear Friends: I just got off the telephone with SSA and I have been approved for SSDI. This is such a bitter sweet victory for me. I am grateful that my family will not have to suffer so much financially with the SSDI finally coming through; however, I also have to face the fact that I really am not going to be able to return to work at a job that I love. For those of you still in the mist of battle, take heart, it can/will happen.

Soft hugs,
  2. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

I am SO happy for you that you got your SSDI approval.

It's so much more difficult now to get approval; the posts I read about how people had to hire lawyers, appear in court(s) countless times because of continuances etc...PEOPLE WHO ARE SICK...I shake my head in awe that the people were able to go back again and again to beg for help because they are sick and cannot work.

One thing about the current SSDI process that really frosts me is the automatic turn-down the first time a person applies.
    True, the person has every right to appeal and start the whole thing all over again.

What about the people who might be umm challenged and not understand they have a right to appeal, so they don't go back? Like this: "I was denied help and don't know now how I'll live..." I've seen that happen.

Rest easy now, Kellyshaw.

3. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Kellyslaw, I'm so happy for you. YEAH!!!! I was approved in September and the most difficult but wonderful thing I have a problem with and it's that I can walk out of my dr's. office and not have to pay a thing. But...........I'll deal with that, LOL!

Take care,

4. Kellyslaw

Kellyslaw New Member

Thank you for your post. I applied in April of 2008 for the 2nd time because I tried to go back to work for about 5 months with breaks (I'm a new elementary teacher). I have most of my health info on my profile, but I applied under FM, CFS, chronic illness related depression and a myriad of other symptoms/illness. I have not been able to go more than a month or two without having another problem rear its ugly head. Since I applied the 2nd time, I have found out that I also have a bulging disk with nerve compression and I am going to have a hip revision surgery. I had a total hip replaced in June of 2005 after having a childhood illness that I suffered with all my life.
    Don't be scared Sweety. I just kept telling myself that I really had nothing to lose by applying. Now I can breath a little easier knowing my family will not have to do without so much. I have read really good things about Allsup here in this site. I used someone else, but you can read about them on my profile if you are interested.

Please don't be discouraged, it's not your fault you are sick. As my docs told me, I didn't ask for any of this.

Take heart. You can do it.
    Soft hugs,
  5. Kellyslaw

Kellyslaw New Member

Thank you for saying all the right things to me. It is so nice to know that I am not alone with my thoughts. I have been crying off an on all day. Happy I got approved and sad because I know that my working life is over. I wasn't ready for these emotions. I thought I would just feel great because the long wait is finally over. I guess ignorance is bliss. I guess now I'll have to find out what else this life has in store for me.

Thank you again for posting.

6. 2sic2mooov

2sic2mooov New Member

I went through the same thing. I was happy at having all the paperwork and red tape behind me and felt i had WON some amazing race. This should not be a prize to is what we deserve in compensation for a very unlucky illness taking over our body and minds. I know how you feel COMPLETELY. I "won" my appeal a few years ago (4 years into illness) and everyday I mourne the loss of my work life and potential for helping to provide for our family. I am happy to get what i do receive, but is only 1/5 to 1/6 of what I was making when I left my job due to health almost 8 years ago. I wonder what I would be making now?
    They did tell me I could make a small amount of income otherways, if i could, and I tried to sell cosmetics but had to give that up due to trouble driving books and orders around. I am hoping to find some type of sales to do solely by computer and not have "hands on" products at all. AM hoping this last bad flare will tame down and I can at least try.

Congratulations on your approval. You can feel grateful and still be sad. All of us feel the same way daily about so many things.
    Hugs and lots of confetti,