OMG it worked. I have pain meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Jul 30, 2008.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

I'm overjoyed!!
    for those that even know my history at all,...I've been struggling for years to get anything more than motrin or ultram for Fibro. So many times I was told no for any kind of narcotics.
    well,... I nicely talked to my Rhuemy today about "who helps people that suffer with daily pain?'
    who can you refer me too?? because I can't do this anymore.
    He gave me a script for Lortabs. (hydrocodone?)
    !!!!!!!!! I even got refills!!! lol
    I can't even believe it~
    I'm hoping that they help alot more than I'm use to. (ultram)
    also,.... should I take a stool sofener so I don't get constipated? i've heard that spoke of here alot.
    so,.... I think I'm very happy with todays visit. :)
    will know more tomorrow when I get my script filled.
  2. bellydonna

bellydonna New Member

Hydrocodone made me constipated.
    Laxatives did not help.
    A nice RN advised the follwing:
    a mugful of prune juice, heat to the temp at which you like hot tea/coffee
    then mix in a dose of Milk of Magnesia.

This might/might not sound gross; fortunately for me, I like prune juice.
    I recommend the "original/unflavored" MoM, though some of the flavored MoM tasted okay to me.

Whether or not ya like the taste, in the end :It works. :)
    this might save your from a lot of distress.
  3. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

Wow thats great.Sometimes I think you just have to e honest and say if you wont help me Than I need to go elsewhere.
  4. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

take narcotics...Oxycontin and Vicodin (hydrocodone). I take stool softeners 100mg twice a day. I have absolutely no constipation problems with this regime.
  5. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

I am glad your doctor finally saw the light. It is awful having to fight for medication to manage pain, you feel like a criminal every step of the way. Let us know how it works!

6. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

Way to go! Good job. You stuck to your guns and stood up for yourself.

I hope you get relief. I suggest magnesium to keep things moving but I am sure you will get good suggestions.

Excellent! This is a huge thing because I really believe that we have to keep the pain under control or it spirals out of control.
  7. tandy

tandy New Member

for replying~

I'll get some stool softeners today when I get my scripts filled. I need something mild/stimulant free because of my bowel issues. (IBS)
    I don't mind the taste of prune juice either~
    so thats a maybe :)
    I don't know if I'd want to drink it everyday??
    thanks for help/input~
  8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

You should be proud of yourself approaching your doctor this way.

I have learned something here.

Put the responsibility on the doctor.

This sounds like it would be very affective on doctor's who are somewhat arrogant, have a big ego or do not listen to their patients. Perhaps all of these!!

But the BEST part is that you have the meds. Yea!!!

I hope this helps as you have been unmedicated for years.

Keep us posted how this works.

9. TrishinSpokane

TrishinSpokane New Member

a wee bit of Gingerale or Seven up to the prune juice to make it more palateable, and bubbly. My mom swears by it!!

Glad to hear that you hopefully will get some better pain relief.

God Bless
  10. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

For me prune juice or anything like that did not help.

Stool softeners tend to bother my digestive track and make me cramp.

So I am using fiber. There are a lot of them out there so I ordered samples. I like Benifiber, it is clear when you stir it into water and does not have any taste. I take a rounded tablespoon every other day in 8 ounces of water. You can use juice or koolaid too.
  11. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

My primary has never offered them, but I would not take them anyway because they would make me nauseous. Since I'm daily about an 8 on the pain scale, I was wondering if I ever decided to get meds, is there something to help with nausea from meds?
  12. hensue

hensue New Member

I take ultram and darvocet. Malica acid with magnesium keeps me going. When i have a full blown fibro attack i have nausea, i just took it for granted every body did.
    My doctor gives me phenergine i think that is how you spell it. I do not take the whole thing just chips off of it. every hour or so.Hope that helps. Do you get nausea with a bad attack?
  13. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

yes there are nausea meds that you can take with your pain meds. OTC there is Dramamine that will work for some people and there are numerous prescription nausea meds, phenegran is one that I have tried and it works well...there is another one I have tried but I can't recall the name at this time.

Anyways if you decide to ask for pain meds just ask for a nausea med at the same time.

You might also find that not all pain meds will make you nauseous. If I take morphine I get nauseous but I take Oxycontin and Vicodin and I do not get nauseous from them so it might just come down to find the right pain med for you.
  14. mjwarchol

mjwarchol New Member

Miralax works great for the constipation from meds. It is now available over the counter. It has no taste at all. I also use a stool softenerevery day. You can buy the Walmart brand of that.

Good luck.

M J
  15. tandy

tandy New Member

I'm so happy sitting here hugging my botttle of meds :)

Have'nt tried one yet. what am I waiting for!!??

I don't know. I guess its too close to bedtime, and in case they make me feel ALIVE & perky,.. I don't wanna be up late doing my spring cleaning!! lol
    wishful thinking huh?
    (yes,.. I said spring cleaning, I still have'nt done any)

Thanks for all your help guys~
  16. poets

poets Member

This is great news! I'm so happy for you. I know you're going to be able to function so much better.

I'm still trying, but I'm always so glad when I hear of someone getting blessed relief!

Hope to hear you're doing much better.

17. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

It's hard to believe the docs wait so long to give us relief. I had to go to the ER before I was ever prescribed pain meds, then my doctor gave me a prescription!

I drink about 10 oz of apple juice a day and it seems to have taken care of my constipation issues.

Take care