OMG Just what I needed daughter got a ticket

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kimba4318, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

she just got her license a week ago... she is an honor roll student. I am flaring and she calls crying. Thought the speed limit was 45... it was 35....

Ughhhhh our insurance is going to go thru the roof as if it was not already.

I wanna crawl in a hole ... was going to sleep when she got home, so much pain, so tired and now this. I will need to comforting and I am hurting and PO'd....

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

to hear it. Can she go to traffic school? Here in CA if you do that, the ticket doesn't go on your record.
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

She should go to traffic court for the ticket, even if she plans to plead guilty. They may very well offer to reduce the ticket without her even asking.

When my daughter was a fairly new driver, she got a speeding ticket going 72 in a 55. She went to traffic court and they offered to reduce the ticket to "Stopping on Pavement" and let her pay the fine for that, along with the surcharge.

About a year later, I also got a ticket, on the highway, not going REAL fast, but still speeding AND in a WORK ZONE. In New York you get in LOTS of trouble for speeding in a work zone. I, too, went to court and without even asking, the DA pulled me aside, said I had a perfect lifetime record and wanted to offer to reduce my ticket to "Stopping on Pavement". I happily agreed.

Hopefully they will do the same for her and she will hepefully learn a valuable lesson early.
  4. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

rockgor... good question. I will look into that - Thanks!

Elliespad.. Thank you too....good advice. On another note... when did you lose your sharpei? Mine was a runt named Sadi... she passed years ago... I stll missd her. She had a thyroid and skin problem. Was only with us for four years. She was a sweetheart.

How long did yours live? Did you have the same problems. "i would love to get one again someday....

Sorry for you loss :-(
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

I'm sure your daughter is a nervous wreck! I remember when my daughter was in the same situation (first speeding ticket).

She was on her way to high school and way running late--her excuse!--she always drove way too fast, as still does at age 30!

I went to court with her--mandatory in KY for minors. The judge lined up everyone caught in the speed trap that morning and humilitated them! If it was their first offense, which it was, then the charges were dropped and it was not on their records! Yeah!!!

However, I had already given her the speech that it was HER responsibility to pay for the price of the speeding ticket as well as court costs. We had told all of our children that when they started driving. It was their responsibility to know the rules of the road and follow them, and if they did not, they had to pay!

Hope you both get to feeling better!

6. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Hi kimba - When she goes to court have her ask the judge for a prayer for judgement. This will not count against her if this was her first ticket.

Another helpful hint is to have it reduced by speaking to the district attorney or his/her assistant. Usually they drop the speed down to nine over the limit which won't count against your insurance. Also a speeding ticket can be plead down to improper equipment.

Good Luck and try not to worry. It will work out :)

7. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Thank you jlh and carolin... SHe has beat herself up about it enough. I know she will be scared ot do even 1 mile over at this point. Her mouth got ahead of her when she said about 2 weeks ago "Dad you drive too fast, I would not drive like you, etc". He had to say "well, I have not gotten a speeding ticket in a long time..." I told him to leave her alone.. she is sad enough.

I WILL go to court though and see what we can do. Hey, amybe we can get luck and the officer will not show up that day!.. That would be nice. Thanks for your advice and concern.

The cop was not sympathetic at ALL. She was shaking and crying and he said "Geez, do I need to have you stayed pulled over for longer or are you going to be able to get it together???" I thought, that was not very nice.. she was scared and had never had that happen before. Could have been a little sympathetic I would think. Oh well, what's done is done.

SHe learned a valuable lesson and I DID tell her "IT is YOUR responsibility to KNOW the speed limit wherever you are Driving. Point taken.

Hugs and thank you all.
  8. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

thanks donnaeil... that is good to know.
    Thanks for the info... I will check into that.