OMG, Madwolf, The Provigil Made Me High!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I didn't have to go out today after I had my lab work done early, so I decided to go ahead and take the 100 mgs. of the Provigil the doc recommended. I know it can take a few days before it relieves the fatigue. I also know that it has come Cocaine-type benefits. Weeeeeeeell, my friend, it certainly has some kind of benefit but not what I was looking for.

About an hour after taking it, I started to feel happy and mellow. Now, I'm just high. I can't drive like this or, for that matter, do much of anything. This is totally counterproductive to the reason I decided to try it. I hate feeling like this in the middle of the day. I can't get anything done, not that I care :)

I guess I'm wondering what to do about this. I am going to go to the store in the morning before taking any more. I think I'll cut back to 50 mgs. and if that doesn't make me high, I'll stay on that dose to see whether it will start to relieve the fatigue in a couple of days.

I'm more tired today than I have been, but I can't tell how much is real fatigue and how much is related to the drug. Any suggestions? Have you ever heard of this? Again, thanks in advance for your help. I know you are no longer online every day, so I'll keep this bumped so you can see it when you come online.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I appreciate your speedy response. I kinda figured that this might go away if I can hang in there. I'll try it at the 50 mgs you had suggested.

Jelly, you happy, happy, happy girl. I am enjoying it because I simply have no choice. I just wasn't expecting it. I have a lot to do around here and need some relief from this fatigue. Problem is that I know this intellectually, but right now I don't give a fat rat's ass :) I'm glad you found your "Happy Gas."

I'm going to answer a few posts, I'm highly functional even when stoned, and then go to my happy place.

Love, Mikie
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hate to disappoint you, but no one has cast the first stone :) Also, I've been high without leaving the ground. I've been buzzed without an airplane coming close to my house. I've been tight without...hmmmmm, this one is better left unsaid. Which leads to my next one, I've been ripped...

I'm just getting myself in trouble here--'nuf said. I slept it off and awoke with a slight headache. I know headache is a possible side effect but this one feels more like being hung over...oh, Lord, don't get me started again.

How do addicts stand this all the time? It's awful.

Again, thanks for the help.

Love, Mikie
  4. KayL

KayL New Member

Mikie, when I took the Provigil briefly, I took 50mg,which was half of what my doc had told me to take. I felt good on 50mg, but I did notice that in the evenings I had a headache. I also had some symptoms which were much like MVP after a week or so, and that was something I didn't want to get started again. As I posted then, my insurance company wouldn't pay for it, so it became a moot point.

Perhaps the 50mg will do it for you?

Karen
  5. teawah

teawah New Member

Thankyou SO MUCH for the laugh!!! It was the best I have had for a while. I even had tears! I want some too. But not sure about the headache after. Had enough of those when I drank.

And Jelly, I love to go to the dentist too. I just tell the dentist to give me my nose and TURN IT UP!!!!

Love, teawah
  6. missvickielynn

missvickielynn New Member

Mikie,

I know you are very familiar with the following information.....but just to refresh.....

"Cheney went on to say, "The other way some people with CFIDS are going is stimulating the brain, using drugs like Ritalin or Provigil. They do the same thing - they fry the brain. They cause neurons to fire at lower stimulus by lowering the firing threshold. All stimulants are dangerous, especially over the long haul. I'm not saying that you might not find them useful in the short-term. But over the long term, the physiology demands that neurons that fire excessively be killed."

Now, I am not saying that you have made a mistake in giving Provigil a trial......I am not even saying that I would never take it. (Although I seriously doubt that I will, because of my previous experiences with stimulants.)

However, I do know for sure......that back in my "illicit drug use years", my drugs of choice were speed in many forms, and pot. Speed, to try to function and keep up with my peers, my job, and my ambitions. Pot, to deal with pain, anxiety, sleep problems.

Even though I was ill BEFORE I began using those drugs, I know for SURE that the use of those drugs played a huge part in the worsening of my illness.

I also used an appetite surpressant (can't spell that word) for about a year and 1/2 in 1995-96. It was called phendimetrizine. They originally gave me phentermine, and it put me through the roof, kept me up all night, made me chew holes in my cheeks and tongue and grit my teeth till my jaws ached. Not to mention the WHEEEE!!! aspects! They changed me to the other drug, but it was still pretty much the same, just a little less intense.

But at the time, I considered it a trade-off, and closed my eyes to the risk I knew I was taking, using a stimulant. Because, I was able to function at work, and still get stuff done at home. I walked between 2 and 5 miles almost every single day for 2 years. And I lost 67 pounds, which I had gained as a result of 2 years on Elavil 10mg at bedtime.

But the crash I had, when I stopped using the diet pill, was horrendous. I have not EVER recovered. I went downhill FAST, and kept going down. Not only did I regain almost all the weight (which I have since lost some, and regained some), but ALL aspects of my CFS/FMS got worse. What the stimulant did, in addition to frying my brain, was caused me to GO GO GO, PUSH PUSH PUSH!

Again, I know that we are all different, and can tolerate/benefit from different drugs, to different degrees.

Just my 2 cents worth. My humble attempt to offer some help, information, input. Take it in the spirit in which it is given, and BEST of luck to you!

Vickie

7. jstbrznby

jstbrznby New Member

WOW,
    This stuff sure never affected me like it has you, Mikie, and I really hate any kind of stimulants I never liked the aftermath of them and the nervousness along with it. .(maybe my system has really shut down for good!) Provigal never affected me like that, all I know is that I can make it past noon now and actually work. (well sort of) In fact my doctor increased my dose because I have been so tired and sleepy that I can't function. And here I have been feeling pretty good about taking it because it doesn't seem to have the symptoms of anything like speed. Teach me to think,EH?

Mikie, I hope it levels out for you because it really can give you some quality of life. And as with anything that works there is always that knawing thing of knowing it CAN'T be good for you.

Hope it is a positive thing for everyone, good luck....Jyn
  8. epicurean

epicurean New Member

I've been on Provigil for months Mickie, and never had any effect like that-must not be taking enough-LOL!!
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And I'm an accidental Provigil addict. Please, anyone with substance abuse, don't take offense. I've been to AA with a friend and the one thing I know for sure is that the ability to laugh at oneself is part of the healing process. Those speakers were some of the funniest, most compelling, and heartbreaking people I have ever met. They could have you in stitches one minute and crying the next. But I digress.

My doc has a tiny electronic PDR which said that Provigil and Klonopin can interact and enhance the effects of the Klonopin. Now, I don't know how long Klonopin stays in the blood, but I didn't figure it would still be there in the morning and I took none yesterday--didn't need it :)

MissVickieLynn, you probably haven't been here long enough to hear me preach against the use of SSRI's and stimulants. I always tell people to read Dr. Cheney's articles on Klonopin and stimulants. I believe that in the long run, traditional stimulants and SSRI's will damage the brain.

I researched all afternoon, reading one abstract after another, trying to determine whether or not to try the Provigil. Provigil's mechanics in the brain are not well understood, but it works in a small area of the brain as opposed to amphetamines and other stimulants. I decided to give it a limited go to see what happens.

It's also possible I had a paradoxical reaction to it and became sleepy and high instead of energized. It could also be the dose. I don't know. I'm taking 50 mgs. today to see; however, I did have to drink some half-caffeine coffee this morning just to wake up, so this may not be the true picture. I guess I just need to play around with it.

In the meantime, friends, thanks for your interest and responses. I will keep y'all updated at some point.

Love, Mikie
  10. baby-bear

baby-bear New Member

This is the funniest post...thanks for the good laugh Mikie...hope you get it figured out....Pammy
  11. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

Mikie & Madwolf - thanks for laughs...gives me flashbacks to the 60s/70s! I tried Provogil and it wired me with 100 mg. so I decided not to try it again because of the irregular heart beats & palpitations I got plus I was afraid it may keep me from sleeping.

I can relate to your having an opposite type reaction but if it gave you a good type of buzz I would guess at a lower dose it may do the trick. Please let us know if it keeps you from sleeping well or any other side effects.

Is there anything else that you can take only on those days when you are extremely tired that is not a stimulant? I know that Vitamin B12 helps perk me up a bit. Does anyone know the maximum amount you can take?

Thanks,
    Luv
    Shaky
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I slept very well. In fact, the Provigil can enhance the Klonopin, so if I stay with the Provigil, I may have to reduce the dose of the Klonopin.

So far this morning, I feel a little buzzed but with some energy. Whether this is due to the caffeine or the Provigil, I don't know. Tomorrow, I will drink decaf and take 50 mgs. and that should tell me something.

Love, Mikie
  13. missvickielynn

missvickielynn New Member

The info about Provigil enhancing Klonopin is very interesting, and I had not heard that! I, too, will have to check that out, since I am taking Klonopin .5mg at night.

I also did not know about Provigil working in only a specific area of the brain, different from other stimulants. That may (obviously) be why it may help.

I do know of its use in ADD/ADHD. Considering that my SSA psych evaluation stated, among other things, that I had "probably untreated ADD from childhood" and a "mathematics learning disability, untreated"......perhaps I should study up on it.

Oh, and yes, Mikie, I am totally aware that you have been talking forever about Cheney's theories. I have been reading the board since the latter part of 2000. I have come and gone, through all the many changes the board has gone through. But I ALWAYS read your posts, because you stay so informed, and your posts are interesting and funny!

Believe it or not, I am always trying to learn.....as are most of us here.....about how to understand, live with, and best treat CFS/FMS. I have been reading Cheney's theories since the CFIDS Chronical (Published by CFIDS Assoc.) first was published in the late 1980's.

I hope the drug works wonders for you......I will be eagerly looking forward to hearing good reports that it is helping you!

Love,

Vickie

14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Sorry, like I stated earlier, my memory is shot right now. Thank you for your kind words about my posts. Yes, I know you are searching for answers just like most of us. I think if we want to heal, we have to keep up. The only thing is that we are all so different and react so differently that it's impossible to tell what will work for each of us.

From what I can understand about the Provigil, it works in the area responsible for production of Dopamine and that is why it is used in Parkinson's Disease. I have concerns about it's causing Parkinsons in the long run, but this stuff has been around in Europe about 20 years, so my concerns may be unfounded.

I view using stimulants like using pain meds, a temporary treatment until I can find something better or I improve to the point I don't need it. My doc says that the Provigil can be used only when needed. Sometimes, I have what I call remission periods without great fatigue, but lately, I've been just lying around in a malaise. I need something to get me up and going. Caffeine will do the trick when I need it, but it starts to interfere with sleep. Also, after using caffeine for a few days, I crash when I go off it. I am hoping that I can use the Provigil without frying my brain for a limited period of time.

I did a couple of loads of laundry, swept and mopped the tile floors, and ran the vacuum. I'm saving the dusting and bathrooms for tomorrow. Tomorrow will be the real test with 50 mgs. of Provigil and no caffeine.

There's just no easy answers for us. I do think we make tradeoffs all the time with these illnesses. None of our treatments is without side effects, but we have to have some kind of quality of life. I don't know how my SSD case will turn out, but I can't live on what they pay, so I will have to go back to work at some point. I'm trying to get ready to work at least part time this summer. Unless I can get this fatigue under control, I don't see how I can.

Love, Mikie
  15. painin

painin New Member

Have been on Provigil for about 6 months. Started out on 100mg every morning. For about the first 2 weeks, I would do fine after it kicked in, then in about and hour or two I would come crashing down really hard!! But it did level off and made me feel much better. Now am on 200mg every morning. Just can't imagine going without it now!!