OMG.......new symptom for me, help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaciBart, Dec 6, 2002.

1. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I have always had the muscle pain and bone pain it feels like, so deep or maybe it is ligaments, heck, I dunno.

The past few days I have terrible pain to the touch. Every square inch that should be muscle and is now mostly fat, I have never had this, I feel so horrible, pain meds not even touching it, I did have a lymph massage yesterday, I have been drinking a ton of water, always do.

This is all new to me, is this normal and what can I do???

sign me
    Desperately seeking relief
  2. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I have always had the muscle pain and bone pain it feels like, so deep or maybe it is ligaments, heck, I dunno.

The past few days I have terrible pain to the touch. Every square inch that should be muscle and is now mostly fat, I have never had this, I feel so horrible, pain meds not even touching it, I did have a lymph massage yesterday, I have been drinking a ton of water, always do.

This is all new to me, is this normal and what can I do???

sign me
    Desperately seeking relief
  3. kadywill

kadywill New Member

and I don't really know what it entails, but do you FEEL bruised on your skin from it???? I know that deep massage makes me FEEL bruised all over and I found that it just isn't beneficial to me to have it. When I have a fever, my skin feels tender to the touch all over. When I have an attack of my angioedema and hives, when I scratch, my skin hurts so bad I could swear I was terribly bruised and I DO bruise badly if I scratch in my sleep. It hurts to even lightly scratch. My skin is and always has been, extrememly tender and sensitive. Let me know how you are, sweetie......
    Use comfort measures for now; warmth, soft materials next to your skin, warm, soothing baths, Ibuprofen, etc.....be good to Jaci for once!!!!
    Love you girl!
    Kady
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I've not had a lymph massage, but I know from personal experience that too much massage, esp. in those of us who have allergies, can often cause exactly what you describe. I believe the theory is that massage releases toxins that have been stored in the muscles, etc. into the blood stream to be expelled. If too many toxins are released too fast for your body to expell them in a reasonable time frame, you will literally feel as if you've been posioned. I have had pain from massage so bad that it made me throw up repeatedly. I was told this meant I really, really needed massage, to get rid of toxins, but I could not afford to come in for the many ten minute sessions it would take. So, I went for a whole hour and suffered horribly. I am truly sorry, but if your experience is anything like mine, you should feel OK again in a couple of days.
    Klutzo
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

If you can, take a soak in Epson Salts (3 cups) and regular peroxide (3 large bottles) for twenty minutes. This is a great help with that all over pain. Twenty minutes only, then go to bed for half an hour.

Warm your bed up, either with a heated mattress pad or a heating pad. Stay warm as possible. Put extra clothes on, long underware if necessary.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Shalom, Shirl
  6. teach6

teach6 New Member

I have never had a lymph massage, but I do get regular massage therapy. My therapist works with me carefully and adapts her techniques according to how I am reacting.

Over a year ago I had one that left me in terrible pain. I called her the next day and told her about it. She was more than willing to be more gentle the next time, and for several session after that. Now she is gradually building up to a much deeper massage.

I guess I would suggest that if you plan to do this regularly you talk with the therapist before the next one and tell her/him exactly what your experience was. If the therapist is not willing to adapt his/her technique to something more beneficial to you, it's time to find a new one!

Barbara
  7. sofy

sofy New Member

Have a fibro friend who told me the exact same thing about her first attempt at lympy massage. She didn't go back but has recently tried it again with someone new who she raves about. Says the treatments are sooo much help. Of course different times makes us feel different but in this instance I suspect the practioner has a great deal to with the positive or negative outcome. Do know we should shower or bath after exercise so it stands to reason that a shower immediately after massage would help wash away those bad guys that were released. It's a pretty good guess that what you are experiencing is treatment related. I have no idea if the pain is because she did such a good job getting rid of the bad stuff or a bad job.