on 2nd month of "flare up" help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by scruffysmom, Feb 7, 2007.

1. scruffysmom

scruffysmom New Member

Hi everyone:
    I took a break from the board for a while. But my fibro is getting worse and worse. I need a kind word, encouragement, advise, something! I started a bad flare up 2 months ago, and thnk I'm kidding myself that it is a "flareup", rather than a way of life! I used to be able to do a gentle form of yoga to keep flexible (as I can be) and walk when I could. This is so bad that I don't so yoga anymore and walking is a nono. My hip hurts too bad for that. I'm getting down in the dumps, and dumpy. Can only eat and lay about, and that's NOT me at all. I am usually upbeat and try to do anything I can to keep moving.
    This last bout of severe pain is the worst.
    Any advise, help? I take ultram for the pain, which does not take it away and my doc won't give me the stronger stuff, nor do I want it yet.
    thanks so much. It means alot when another fibro sufferer takes the time to touch bases.
    scruffysmom
  2. Crystal

Crystal New Member

you're having such a bad flare....I'm in the same boat...been about a month now...I usually have a few days...rest up and am better...not this time. I'm wondering if its the really cold winter we're having. Where do you live? I work full time...so my days off have been spent resting and trying to get better. I'm single and a self-employed hairdresser so I'm on my feet all day. I wish I had something good to tell you...but I know it makes us feel better when we're not alone in this. Hope you feel better soon!!!
  3. fungirl2100

fungirl2100 New Member

I am sorry to hear about your flare. I wish I could take the pain away & take some of it on myself to help you. Today hasn't been too bad. Sounds weird doesn't it? I just know that I am lucky that I can move around (though slow at times) work full time & still somewhat have a life. I don't think it's fair that others cannot.

I hope you have someone who is with you a friend, family lmember to help you through this in person.

We of course are here on line, but it's not the same.

I know at this point you have probably tried just about everything you can think of to get it to stop. Try to stay calm & I pray it will pass soon.

Know that someone in Chicago loves you & is thinking of you....

your friend,
    fun
  4. mujuer

mujuer New Member

I live in Washington State and I have had a flare since September. I have been on Prednisone twice and that helped a little. I only take tramadol for the pain and it takes too long and is so short lived. I stopped working then as there is no way I could work right now. My rheumy put me on Requip full time for the pain and restlessness in my hips and on down and that has done so much that I am thankful that he put me on it. It has a very nice side effect also...it makes you sleepy at night after you take it. It keeps my legs and hips pain free all day and night. Now if I could have a magic pill to take away the pain in my middle and top half of my back and rib cage, that would be great. Looking for another state to live in. I can't tolerate this anymore.
    Best Wishes
  5. scruffysmom

scruffysmom New Member

Thanks for responding. It is nice to know others out there are fighting the same fight. I live in Northern Minnesota, and we are now in a very long deep freeze. We have -20 at night and up to a whopping -3 in the day. Cold! But in Dec and early Jan, we had warm weather for us in the 30 and 40's and I still hurt just as much. Go figure?
    Thanks so much for caring. I'll let you know when this flare up is over!!!
    scruffysmom
  6. scruffysmom

scruffysmom New Member

Thaks so much for emailing! I do have a very supportive husband, but after 10 years I bet he's tired of hearing how I feel. He is wonderful, though and understands. But sometimes it is nice to talk with others who KNOW what it's like and been there, done that!!! That's what so great about this board! Is the weather pretty cold in Chicago??? I live in northern Minnesota, and we are in the deep freeze again, -20 and more. But Dec and Jan were above normal. go figure!! By the way, I was rooting for the Bears in the superbowl! Can't stand the Vikings, love the Bears!
    I might try another rheumatologist cause the pain and disability is much worse and getting worse. I'll try to keep you posted on the progress.
    thanks for caring and writing. it means alot!
    scruffysmom
  7. scruffysmom

scruffysmom New Member

Thaks for writing with the suggestions. I haven't checked into requip yet. Don't think I have restless leg syndrome, but could have? Do you have it too?? I'll try anything right about now. I tried prednisone a couple of times and had a real prednisone high with relief at 7.5 mg's , however, you can't stay on it too long. I was on it for a whole summer and gained alot of weight, increased my blood pressure, lots of side effects. But I did feel good!
    Guess there is no magic pill!.
    thanks for writing and caring. I'll try to post a "end of flare up" note, if I can remember and IF it happens.
    thanks all,
    scruffysmom
  8. EmberFae

EmberFae New Member

I feel for you, I've been having a flare up since mid July 06. Everyday more pain and being totally exhasted along with all the other wonderful sysmptoms of having F.M.S. and fighting doctors for help.On the phone everyday tring to get my own medical records and set up referals for myself just my primary doctor has a bunch of lazy incompadent yahoos working for him.
    Which of acorse makes all my sysmptoms worse.So I feel for you I do.
    ~~EmberFae
  9. scruffysmom

scruffysmom New Member

Thanks for writing emberfae! WOW I thought my "flare up" was long!!! can't imagine one since July 2006. I do hope you have good days once in a while??? What are you taking for the flare up??? What usually works for you???
    I guess all we can really do is adjust our lives, again! I rest 2 times a day now instead of one, and that's helped. I have tried to quit beating myself up over something that I can't do anything about and I'm not responsible for! I had a readjustment talk with my husband and told him I am getting worse and he has been supportive! It's hard to let others in on how you really feel. We all try to put on a good game face and "go on", but I'm learning to tell others how I really feel now. My kids don't really get it yet. So I will have to spell it out that I can't do the big family dinners anymore, etc,.
    Good luck to you and let me know how you are doing.
    thanks for taking the time to email.
    scruffysmom
  10. scruffysmom

scruffysmom New Member

Thanks for writing emberfae! WOW I thought my "flare up" was long!!! can't imagine one since July 2006. I do hope you have good days once in a while??? What are you taking for the flare up??? What usually works for you???
    I guess all we can really do is adjust our lives, again! I rest 2 times a day now instead of one, and that's helped. I have tried to quit beating myself up over something that I can't do anything about and I'm not responsible for! I had a readjustment talk with my husband and told him I am getting worse and he has been supportive! It's hard to let others in on how you really feel. We all try to put on a good game face and "go on", but I'm learning to tell others how I really feel now. My kids don't really get it yet. So I will have to spell it out that I can't do the big family dinners anymore, etc,.
    Good luck to you and let me know how you are doing.
    thanks for taking the time to email.
    scruffysmom
  11. mje

mje New Member

For a flare, the best thing I have found is to increase
    my deep sleep medication. For me it is flexeril. I take less on a regular basis so I can step it up when the going gets tough. (Need to take it a little earlier in the evening so I can awake ok in the AM). Ultram is very helpful to many, but it did interfere with sleep for me.
    I am sure you have evaluated that!! Good luck, MJE
  12. cheilluminata

cheilluminata New Member

I've been in a flare since June 06. Everything started with a migraine (which I still have) and has just continued down a path of frustrated pain, insomnia, brain fog and a host of other problems. I've tried Cymbalta, Neurotin, Topomax, Keppra, Zanaflex, Skelaxin, Elavil, Indocin, Prednisone, just to name a few without success. I've been poked, proded, probed and dismissed by those who know more than I.

Yes, there are what I call good days with "functional migraines" and there are the days that it takes me forever to get out of bed. Washing dishes is a major undertaking as is taking a shower sometimes. I've learned to take things as they come and try to keep a positive outlook. Unfortunately, the medical community hasn't a clue and everything is an experiment and I'm the lab rat. Sooooo, one day at a time and hopefully this thing will slowly fade away and give me some peace - just for a little while.

Hang in there, peace does come, even if it is fleeting.