On a scale of 1 to 10... Your Pain level is???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by meowee, Jun 19, 2008.

1. meowee

meowee New Member

Hi everyone.
    Whenever I go to the pain clinic, they ask me what is my pain level today, with ten being the highest (and if I am a ten, they say I would be in the hospital).

So, of course my level changes but I am usually anywhere between a 6 and 8.

I am in pain daily, sometimes severe and keeps me bedridden. Other days I can get up and do laundry. I never can do any heavy cleaning around my house anymore.

My question is this.. I have a nurse living next door. She is 52 and has been nursing a long time. She told my mom she has seen a lot of FM patients but none as bad as I am.

I find that so hard to believe. I know there are some so much worse off than I am.

When people say that, especially those in medical profession, it makes ME think I am not as bad as I feel or is it in my head?

How bad is your pain on that level of 1 to 10?

Thanks and God bless you all. I consider you all my friend.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/19/2008]
  2. carol99999999

carol99999999 New Member

I have fibro and a screw in my back that is pressing a nerve.

When I go to the dr. and the nurse asked for my pain level I laugh and so does she. I alway give it between 7 - 9,,,ten would be hospital as you said. I have had this for 13 years. I do what I can and skip the rest...when I push myself I end up in bed for three days.

I have a very young dr. that seems not to believe me. I am working with her to teach her the roller coaster ride that is fibro.

Currently I am taking Lyrica 150mg twice daily
    and I just started seroquil 25mg. this is the lowest dose.
    I slept all night and into the morning the first day and seemed like a zombi. I had tremors in my hands. this lasted three day....today I am lucid and feeling like a human being. maybe it took four days of sleep to catch me up on my life.....but I am so glad I stayed with it. I would recommend these drugs to an fibro patient!!

OH, my pain level today is a 7....the pain will never leave me but I am happy to feel normal again. I hope this lasts.
  3. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I think its insulting that they tell you you can't have a "10" without being in the hospital. My guess would be a "10" is hard labor without drugs, but remember that our bodies have to an extent has adapted to a higher level of pain than we once might have had. My tolerance for pain was once pretty low...now I can handle alot more, but anytime the pain has me crying its a "10". Just cause I'm crying doesn't mean I'll go to the hospital...now it just means I'll call the doctor immediately.

My doctor explained that there are various levels of FM, mine is severe according to his range but I agree with you I think many of us here are bedridden more than they are ambilitory (sp). Nothing is absolute with FM, and pain levels as well as the amount of function you have changes...sometimes minute to minute:)

My guess is your next door neighbor only thinks she has a clue about FM!

Take Care!
  4. terrisews

terrisews New Member

I, too, am in pain everyday. Some days it's bad, some days it's worse.

Good days I say around 3 on bad days sometimes up to eight.

The thing is - about 3 years ago I had back surgery on my lower back. I was cut from bra strap to top of my crack. I have 2 rods, 8 screws and 3 cages in my spinal column now.

Learning to get out of bed and off the toilet and many more tasks caused alot of pain. That is my "10" but only because I lived through it. lol

Terri in TN
  5. kel589

kel589 New Member

I have been walking,to try to lose weight,I had a bright idea to try to jog some,a little here and there,jog walk jog etc well tonight my pain level is a 8,
    I am scared about tomorrow because thats usually when it hits me the next day.
    I have also had pain levels of 9 and ten in the past
    my good days are a 3,I will never be pain free.
    If they dont live in our body they dont know what we feel.
    hang in there,sending soft (((hugs)))
  6. erinwilburn

erinwilburn New Member

I have to say that the issue of pain being at a ten bothers me so much! I spend most days at a 10 and like many of you I am told I have an extream case of FM.

But you can only go to the ER so many times before you are a seeker and it takes so much energy to go that I wait until I think I might die.

The last time I went my BP was 180/99 but no one said anything, I went to my GP and he said lets wait and see... I am about to have a stroke at 28 but because I said my pain is at a ten then I must be lieing!

My Dr is so jaded because there have been 2 DR arrested in our state lately for over rx pain meds.

I just keep in bed with my heating pad and try to stay calm.
    soft hugs!
  7. Meg1710

Meg1710 New Member

The Andrea Mankoski Pain scale, I have found to be very helpful to rate pain. It can be located at: http://www.wemsi.org/painscale.html and there are other sites if you do a Google search.

I have copied the chart below.

0 = Pain Free

1 = Very minor annoyance - occasional minor twinges. No medication needed.

2 = Minor Annoyance - occasional strong twinges. No medication needed.

3 = Annoying enough to be distracting. Mild painkillers take care of it. (Aspirin, Ibuprofen.)

4 = Can be ignored if you are really involved in your work, but still distracting. Mild painkillers remove pain for 3-4 hours.

5 = Can't be ignored for more than 30 minutes. Mild painkillers ameliorate pain for 3-4 hours.

6 = Can't be ignored for any length of time, but you can still go to work and participate in social activities. Stronger painkillers (Codeine, narcotics) reduce pain for 3-4 hours.

7 = Makes it difficult to concentrate, interferes with sleep You can still function with effort. Stronger painkillers are only partially effective.

8 = Physical activity severely limited. You can read and converse with effort. Nausea and dizzyness set in as factors of pain.

9 = Unable to speak. Crying out or moaning uncontrollably - near delirium.

10 = Unconscious. Pain makes you pass out.
  8. meowee

meowee New Member

wow, thank you all for your responses. Meg, thanks so much for the pain scale. It is interesting to see how they judge the pain level.

Thanks to all!
  9. footballmom

footballmom New Member

My doctor evaluates my pain level by my facial expressions. The nurse asks me what I think it is on a 1 to 10 scale. He then talks to me and pushes on my pressure points and gives his judgement as to what my pain level is. His is usually much higher then mine. I think our judgement is off because we adapt to the pain over time. My husband can usually tell when I'm in extreme pain without me saying anything to him about it. He can tell by the way I walk or bend over plus I tend to massage my aching hands or arms or whatever unconsciously.

Today I woke up with a pain level of 8. It took me 3 hours to get showered and dressed. I hope to be down to a 5 by this afternoon so that I can bake a birthday cake for my son.
  10. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I think we all have variations of pain. I think mine stays at a 6-7. It has been close to a ten before. Unable to speak and moaning due to pain. I never go to the er cause I know that there is little sympathy for us with fibro. I don't know why our pain is so ignored by the medical community. I know pain can affect my blood pressure. When my pain is high so is the bp.
  11. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

Thanks meg for the pain scale. i've been telling everyone that i pretty much stay at a 5 with break through pain but your pain scale shows that I should be stating my pain at a 7. Boy was I surprised at that........SueF
  12. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I'm at 6-7 24/7 on pain meds. Tons of stiffness to.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/21/2008]
  13. Didoe

Didoe New Member

I had no idea there existed a scale; when they say rate it 1 to 10 they show these stupid smile to frown faces. my pain is smiling ever and doesnt resemble a frown.

When I had surgery in February, #9 describes exactly where I was and didnt know then or until now that this is why the nurses took my condition seriously; literally I could not speak; between morphine shots I just moaned for the next one, they finally gave me the click control to use myself--what a freakin sense of relief (not to mention empowerment) the pain was not anything I want to experience again.
  14. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

thanks for the pain scale....i'll keep that on file. Its better that the ones in the doctors which just show tears on a "10".

15. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

Interesting, mine seems to be about 9 but I can speak.

I often think mine must surely be 10, then about the time I think it cannot get any worse it does.
  16. jinlee

jinlee Member

They say 10 is either in the hospital or with a gun to your head. I say give me the $500 ER fee and waive the three hour wait and being told "you must be a drug seeker" and I will go to the hospital.

I told the pain doc a gun was not an option for me as I had kids I could not do that to them.

I usually at a 10 take more meds than I am supposed to and end up half unconscious for two days.

This is no way to live. I have spine problems plus bilateral shoulder and collar bone surgical problems from use of a pain pump after surgery. The pain is 24/7.

But, of course "you can't be in that much pain!" It gets old real fast.

Frustrated......I sometimes wonder how long it will be before the gun does sound appropriate.

17. Mine is usually between a 7-8 most days. I asked my rheum. dr. who sees me for fibro if you could have severe pain with fibro and he said absolutely. He says it varies in people and believe me he is a strict dr who DOES believe in fibro.

I hurt so bad so much of the time, I did say to a dr. once that I shouldn't say this to a dr. but now I know why people shouldn't have guns. (I don't ) but hurt so bad I would be afraid I might use it. ( I really wouldn't) but thats how bad my pain can get. Its hard to act "normal" around people sometimes with this pain. They say I know me too, but ha believe me they have no clue.

I can't do half the housework I used to do, let alone heavy housework. Just the thought of going to a store is mind boggling.

So don't listen to that nurse. Many have severe pain, you are not alone. Hang in there.
  18. soffy

soffy New Member

my name is soffy... I agree 100% with you, because i have fm for more than 6 years now and i have to deal with the pain every single day even between 6 or 8 and sometimes i think 10 because is out of limits when happens but why do i have to go to the ER to wasted my time and at the end they will tell me just take your pills for pain and try to sleep... Right??? But it really hasppens sometimes I feel the same as you do, I can't do not even 3 chores at home because my body suffers so much. good luck and keep writing to me to civette1960. hugs...
  19. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I have daily pain and on a good day I would say the pain level is a 4 and on my bad days it's a 7-8.
    Now even on a good day it can turn into a bad day if I try to do to much, and some days I'm stubborn and want to feel normal and then remember real quick that I can't really do what heavy housework I'm trying to do.
  20. msnova74

msnova74 New Member

Normally I am between 4-7; however today I am about 9.