On Being A Guinea Pig

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bunnylover, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Bunnylover

Bunnylover New Member

Hi All
    The other day I posted about a drug my Dr. just started me on. Didn't have any info when I started taking it because Dr. gave it to me as a sample to see if I could tolerate it.I have had clinical depression along with other things for a long time and have been on meds for a long time. I might be on an andtidepressant for a year and then it stops working so he has to change them. This time he put me on the new drug called Loprexa which is made by the Celexa family. He said he was also giving me Zyprexa which is an antipsychotic and to take that at night. He told me that there have been studies done saying that with this Zyprexa helps the antidepressant work even better. Thats where I have begun to feel like a guinea pig. The awful thing about this that its working and I feel so much better but am retaining fluid so much I look like Pillsbury Doughboy. Someone said it really makes you gain weight. Does it do this by fluid retention or appetite increase. I am going to stop it tonite and see if that works. Any info would help.
    Thanks Terri
  2. Bunnylover

Bunnylover New Member

Hi All
    The other day I posted about a drug my Dr. just started me on. Didn't have any info when I started taking it because Dr. gave it to me as a sample to see if I could tolerate it.I have had clinical depression along with other things for a long time and have been on meds for a long time. I might be on an andtidepressant for a year and then it stops working so he has to change them. This time he put me on the new drug called Loprexa which is made by the Celexa family. He said he was also giving me Zyprexa which is an antipsychotic and to take that at night. He told me that there have been studies done saying that with this Zyprexa helps the antidepressant work even better. Thats where I have begun to feel like a guinea pig. The awful thing about this that its working and I feel so much better but am retaining fluid so much I look like Pillsbury Doughboy. Someone said it really makes you gain weight. Does it do this by fluid retention or appetite increase. I am going to stop it tonite and see if that works. Any info would help.
    Thanks Terri
  3. kadywill

kadywill New Member

All of the antidepressants and antipsychotic drugs I've taken have added to my weight by increasing my appetite and causing more fluid retention...which ADDS to my depression...which ADDS to my overeating...which adds to my being overweight....which adds to my depression....which, etc. etc. etc.

WE ARE GUINEA PIGS....( no pun intended.......)

By the way...I've been off all these meds for awhile now and I've found that I'm no more depressed or psychotic without them...AND, since I went cold turkey from my years long habit for diet drinks, my appetite for carbs has gone bye-bye.....for now!
    Love,
    Kady[This Message was Edited on 09/17/2002]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/17/2002]
  4. Bunnylover

Bunnylover New Member

Thanks Kady for your reply. I am going off the Zyprexa tonite. I do have to stay on the antidepressant. Tried to go without and know the true folly of doing that. I can go down so fast and hit bottom more times than I can remember.I did that one time and almost did'nt make it back,so nix on not taking that med. I am already overweight from not being able to move around so much. Thanks Again
    Terri
  5. PaulMark

PaulMark New Member

yes as othes on here know i'm pat. of chenkey's and sicker than ever, no blame just fact, i've been on gh shots overactivate my TH2 system and pain we thought may try again, now just quit mestinon read about dr. bennets trials in cfs/fms helps bodies own g. hormone m. weak m. pain but gives me nausea increased bm's ab. cramps nausea i got mad and quit it and gastro problem many went away but in bed all day with all of the body pain in addition to my immune problems fire ants sandpaper drness tingling well everybody i sick of hearing that just telling you,

i've was in one study of his with painful bovine adrenal thymus liver extracts no help later he decided we were low on GH but they learned that afterwards

trial and error catch 22's trade off's that's what klutzo and i say right klutzo

god bless if i can help let me know paul m. in ky