On Lexapro now, dr. wants to switch me to Effexor or Cymbalta?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by meowchowchow, Nov 2, 2005.

1. meowchowchow

meowchowchow New Member

Hi all,

My dr. wants to switch me to either Effexor or Cymbalta to deal with all my aches, pains, dizziness, etc which she says can be managed better on these 2 drugs rather than the Lexapro.

Can anyone shed some light on these drugs? Have they helped? Hurt? How about your anxiety? I hate trying new drugs.

Thanks,
    Meow
  2. ajp

ajp New Member

Hi Meow,
    I don't know about the Effexor, but I was on Lexapro and it did nothing, been on Cymbalta 60 mg now for approx 3-4 months..I lose track of time, but it has helped a lot. When I am in a sleep cycle,which I am now as opposed to insomnia, I'm sure you know what I mean...I feel pretty good. I would definitely try the Cymbalta. It has helped with the pain and also the anxiety. Let me know how you make out..
    Love
    Mindy
  3. hob

hob New Member

I would suggest it anyday. It makes the random pain hurt less
  4. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

I've been on Effexor XR for several years. My doctor put me on it when my husband died five years ago. During that time my dosage has been increased, then decreased. It has helped me out tremendously. The only problem I've had with it is that it makes me awfully constipated.

My health insurance plan now covers Cymbalta, but I've been reading recently that it shouldn't be taken by people with liver problems. Will it only be a matter of time before the makers of Cymbalta will add a warning to the label that it causes liver problems?
  5. Meghanne

Meghanne New Member

I've been on Cymbalta a month now, for depression primarily, but also in hopes it would help the pain, and I do believe I'm starting to see some results. I'm cautiously optimistic at this point that it might continue to improve. I say give it a chance.

Trish
  6. Meghanne

Meghanne New Member

I was interested that it's helped your anxiety levels. Crossing my fingers it might help mine too, Mindy.
  7. Bren5

Bren5 New Member

Hi,

I was on Lexapro 20 mg for over a year (I started it when my son got orders for Iraq) and stopped 9/30 due to the weight gain (about 20 lbs). Dr. prescribed 20 mg of Cymbalta and I hadn't realized how well Lexapro was working for me till I tried the Cymbalta. The Lexapro works better for me, I am tired during the day, but I sleep better at night, have less pain and my nerves are calmer.

While on Cymbalta I was nausous in the beginning and immediately my pain increased. I was anxious and didn't sleep well on Cymbalta, but the real kicker was last week, I was soooo sick with nausea, didn't leave the house all week. I finally called my Dr. and he put me back on Lexapro. The nausea stopped right away, pain is better and I'm sleeping better.

On a good note, I did have more energy while on Cymbalta although I had trouble getting to sleep at night. Cymbalta is just another drug added to my lengthly list of meds that don't agree with my body.

Wishing you the best,
    Kim

[This Message was Edited on 11/03/2005]
  8. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

Hi Meow-
    I would recommend Cymbalta for FM pain. It made a big difference for me pain wise, but it is not working for me for anxiety (I think I've been worse). I also don't sleep well, still, but that's nothing new, so I take lunesta at night. I think I may try to start taking the Cymbalta in the morning instead of the evening or switch back to 30mg instead of 60mg. In a months time I have been tired, but haven't had any horrible pain days (that's a record).
    I have a healthy liver and I don't drink, so not too worried about the liver warning, but I will insist upon testing after a few months to make sure I'm ok.
    Definately worth a try. Janice