on Lexapro & wellbutrin anyone heard of taking both?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ruby7, Mar 23, 2003.

1. ruby7

ruby7 New Member

I was taking lexapro & it worked well but had sexual side effects so my Dr. wants me to also take wellbutrin. I guess he thinks it will help with the side effect of lexapro. I am concerned about taking 2 antidepressants. I'm taking it for muscle pain & sleep. Please, anyone ever heard of this?? Thank you, Ruby
  2. Debgene56

Debgene56 New Member

I had the same thing offered to me. A year ago or so I went to a "shrink" only once. He wanted me to take wellbutin for depression and Celexa for aniexty. Lexapro is one side of selexa or one half. Celexa has 2 parts or 2 sides to it. I didn't do it, but it was a Real maccoy stuffed Shirt "Shrink", that recommended it.
    Good luck!!!! Love, Deb
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I don't take either drug, but I am bumping your post as it went to the second page. Hopefully someone can share their experience with you.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. KathyM

KathyM New Member

eveyone's situation is a little different. I never wanted to touch an antidepressant; and also heard that it doesn't necessarily help fibro type symptoms. But three years later, I am depressed because of all the symptoms. I have tried many supplements etc.. I hope this combination works for you. Myself, I wouldn't know. This may be the right combo for you. Only your doctor can guide you on it. Keep trying!!! I hope this prozac doens't effect me in that area; I've only been on it a short time. Take it easy, Kathy
  5. seminolegal

seminolegal New Member

My psychiatrist tried to have me gradually switch from Wellbutrin to Lexapro(due to difficulty getting to sleep). After a few days, I had bad side effect of positional hypotension. My doctor had me drink tons of Gatorade for several days which helped along with not taking Lexapro anymore! I have had bad reactions to alot of antidepressants, esp. those in the Prozac family. Good luck in your situation. This is a real roller coaster ride having CFS/FM. Bizarre!
  6. mojo_jm

mojo_jm New Member

Hi Ruby I just started the same combo I have cfs and I have taken a wellbutrin prozac combo in the past. While I am not sure how effective it is in treating fms symptoms I can honestly say the combo helped with the symptom depression that I was expieriencing and the sexual side effects were neil as a matter of fact it may have even ummm how shall I say ...increased somewhat as far as desire goes. Over time either my body chemistry has changed or I built a tolerance to the prozac and having previously taken all other ssri type anti depressants (celexa,paxil,zoloft} without sucsess my phsyc.Doc decsided to try the newer lexapro.Like many cfs people I have low blood pressure known as NMH and I am subject to bouts of hypotention and some if not all ssri's can aggrivate this condition at least with me. So if you start getting dizzy when standing or rising you may want to check your blood pressure. I take proamitine to treat the NMH and it works quite well for me. Good luck with the combo maybee we can keep eachother informed on how it works.
    Joe
  7. ruby7

ruby7 New Member

Thank you all for responding, I am going to start the wellbutrin Sat. Thanks Joe, I'll let you know how it's going. Ruby
  8. JannyW

JannyW New Member

My PCP had me on this combination for a while. When we decided it really wasn't helping me, I saw a psychiatrist who told me she thought it was a weird combination! According to what she said, these two meds work more or less in opposition to each other ... one works on one chemical (dopamine) and the other works on another (serotonin). Maybe this is what you need, but it didn't do much for me.

Jan ^v^
  9. mojo_jm

mojo_jm New Member

Jenny dopamine and seritonin are 2 seperate chemicals in the nueral system that have been shown to directly effect mood wellbutrin is a sdri (select dopamine reuptake inhibitor) while lexapro is a ssri (select seritonin reuptake inhibitor ) it is very very common to use both in combonation to help reduce depression along with other phsycoligical conditions. I ask my phsyc, doc about the combo before I started taking it and this is the information she gave me. Joe
  10. idiotsinc

idiotsinc New Member

I'm not on antidepressants, just Buspar (a med for anxiety) and ritalin (for brain fog and helps the brain produce dopamine). My shrink has been very helpful so far and has done more for me than all the doctors I've seen. He's a young kid (around 30) and not at all a stuffed shirt. If you have to, look around until you find one you're comfortable with. They're out there. It may take longer than you want, and some experimenting, to find the right combo of meds to help you but what else are you going to do with your time?

Bob
  11. debbym

debbym New Member

Hi!
    I'm on Wellbutrin and effexor xr. I started on effexor 2 years ago and it helped take the edge off some of the pain. It stopped working effectively. My doctor put me on wellbutrin with the effexor last month and I am moveable again. Still am tired and have to watch what I do. I have hope of getting strength back. Hope it works for you.

Debby