??? on menapause and fibro.. help!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dononagin, Jan 19, 2006.

1. dononagin

dononagin New Member

ok.. It seems like I remember reading something about a coalation between an increase in fibro symtoms with the change in hormones associatied with menapause..

I'm 46.. don't know if I'm starting menapause or not but my cycles are getting really irregular.. (3 times last month - twice this month).. I know this can be a sign at least of peri-menapause.. Has anyone seen an increase of symptoms during hormonal changes?

Did you get hormones? did they help?

I've been in a bad flare for months now and I'm starting to wonder if that and the increase in my brain fog could be hormonal??

Any input??

Thanks and love to all.. dona
    [This Message was Edited on 01/19/2006]
  2. ajp

ajp New Member

Hi Dona,
    Had to reply to this. I am 45 and going through the same thing with my cycles, sometimes twice a month and then skip a month. I have been a flare the last few months and my doctor says it is all connected. She didn't recommend any hormones as of yet and said menopause is 1-5 years off for me...yipee...I think. I sometimes can't tell what is going on if its the fibro, the hormones or the meds? Ever feel like that?
    No advice really, just understand what you are going through.
    Mindy

[This Message was Edited on 01/19/2006]
  3. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Oh, I hate to hear that you are having to go through these things! How long since a PAP and doctor’s visit? You may need to consider going in and discussing these concerns with your doctor.

My symptoms of pain and aching seemed to decrease when I stopped taking my Rx estrogen about one month ago. (Remember, I’m trying to get off all meds?)

There most likely is a relationship, and the wild fluctuations of estrogen must have a cause-ual effect on FMS and CFS.

One of my friends and my sister both takes Rejuvex and both swear by it. They never went on Rx estrogen at or after menopause, but used Rejuvex. You might want to check out the label on Rejuvex and consider taking it.

Warm hugs, Jeannette
  4. dononagin

dononagin New Member

Hi Mindy! The last time I mentioned this to my doc he pretty much said the same thing.. they can't really go by a hormone test as our hormones are all over the board.. Gets old quick huh!! He isn't a big fan of hormones.. but something has to give!!
    Hugs!

Jeanette.. You know, I have been trying to get a Pap scheduled for the last 4 months.. and keep started my cycle every time I have an appt. I have another appt. in two weeks.. This will be the third reschedule..

I'll do a search on the Rejuvex.. got to be something that will help.. I'm getting the night sweats now too.. Ughhh.. getting old is just no fun!!

How are you doing with you Med boycott?? feeling any better?

Love to ya neighbor,
    dona

BACK | REPLY

5. mariee

mariee Member

Hi Dononagin,
    Glad you brought this up. My illness started when I was 50 and my sis always wonders if some of my symptoms were hormonal.
    Last year, I had a hysterectomy, and my symptoms of heat, then pain have increased. I am leary about hormones since I am very cystic, and the docs removed a huge ugly growth...

So, yes, I think hormones do play a part in my illness.

BTW, I was dual dd. w. MS. Last MRI shows no new lesions in 6 years...Makes me wonder what is causing all this pain. This is a big reason why i suspect hormonal involvement.

Good luck on your quest.
    I would love to read others experiences w. hormonal treatment esp. the compounding treatments.
    Mariee
  6. lana33

lana33 New Member

I was going thru perimenopause from age 38 to 45. Last summer, I had hysterectomy. I had the worst time with the perimenopause ever. I had multiple fibroids. Had bad cramps when on my period. Found out after surgery, I even had endometriosis.

Also had mulitple periods like you are talking about. I put it off as long as I could. My doc wanted me to have hyst about 3 years ago. I had terrible night sweats and pms.

Now I am on the estrogen patch. No more periods and very few sweats. I will continue on estrogen as long as doc lets me or until I have cancer, or other bad thing. I felt too miserable to let the symptoms just stay with me.

In the past I took the rejuvex or some other herbal formula, just didn't do a thing for me. I still have symptoms of the fibro without severe pms, periods or sweats and other menopause symptoms. I still have mild pms each month even now.

Good luck with your quest to find natural remedies. I applaud you.

I am so glad my surgery did not make my fm and my other diagnoses worst. I hear some say that happens.

Hugs,
    Lana
  7. dononagin

dononagin New Member

You know, Marilee & Lana..

I've wondered too about fibroids.. expecially as my periods are increasing.. I'm the only one in my family who hasn't had to have a hysterectomy due to Fibroids..

My doctor is resistant to starting me on Estrogen as I am already being seen in 3 month increments for abnormal breast density. I think he is afraid of it increasing the cancer risk.. (everyone in my entire family except my sisters have died of cancer and my sister has it.)

I'm going to try the over the counter stuff.. (providing it doesn't have any thing in it that might effect my immune system) as I have nothing to lose.. but I know the chances of it working are probably up there with diet pills!

Thank you so much for your input.. I'm really feeling there is a link...
    I spoke with two of the older girls at work today and kind of quizzed them on what they went through.. (Both NORMAL ladies)..
    They both complained about their memory and fatigue during the process.. also one said she felt like she was going crazy.. her moods were out of control.. One said they started her on Estogen and Wellbuteral and it changed her life.. She said with out it she probably would have gotten a divorce!!

Awwwww... just one more thing for us lucky ladies to deal with!! Jeez!

Hugs to all.. dona

8. Empower

Empower New Member

I am in peri-menopause and when my periods started to become irregular, my FMS and CFS symptoms got worse
  9. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

Ok...here goes with my history. I had a hysterectomy at 28. Had fibroid tumors & alittle endrometriosis. At about 34 I started to go thru menapause, the hot flashes, moods,etc. I was put on the patches, but I have really sensitive skin so I was given pills. I am 52 now & am still on pills & go in for annual pap smears. It is funny because I still go thru

a PMS type cycle. Anyway, the last 6 months or so I have been having hot flashs so bad you would not believe it. My regular dr., a female the same age, took blood to test my hormone level. She said I am probably going thru menapause. I said, " I have already gone thru that & am taking pills for the hormones". She told me that the pills are not hormones. I am totally mixed up. So I am due for a pap and will get the scoop on all of this. Oh, and guess what. She said menapause can last for 11 yrs. or more. OH BOY!!!

PIRT
  10. dononagin

dononagin New Member

11 years???? They may as well just get me a white coat and lock me up!!!
  11. sharleeb

sharleeb New Member

I had mild symptoms of Fibromyalgia for years but didn't bother me very much until I had to have a hysterectomy four years ago. Once I had surgery, the Fibro symptoms came full force. I really do feel that hormonal changes have something to do with this disease. I've always had terrible periods, which lasted two weeks or more, fibroids, etc... I always felt like I had the flu but I knew it wasn't the flu. After surgery, the flu like feeling was much worse and I became stiff in the morning and evening. I get headaches, irritable bowel, feeling cramps (as if my period is going to start and I know that's not going to happen)... Every day is a challenge because I never know how much energy I'm going to have or how much pain I'll have. Sometimes I wish I never had the hysterectomy... I don't know if this helps but I'd like to hear from others if they've had hysterectomies with Fibro....
  12. GBHope

GBHope New Member

I too had a hysterectomy in June 05 and have gotten much worse. I also wished sometimes that I'd never had the surgery. I had everything removed and have felt much, much worse. There is absolutely no way I could even think about working a little bit now. Was trying to work part-time off and on since 2001. For years as well, I would feel like I always had the flu even though I hadn't gotten full-blown sick which hit in October 1995. I would always feel dizzy around my period too and have always had lots of muscle and back pain in my shoulders since I was a young woman.

GBHope
  13. tonakay

tonakay New Member

For over the counter my doc reccomended Xtra strength Estroven. Walgreens has it and so does Wallyworld.... Good luck friend... I hate this hormone jungle!
  14. lin-z

lin-z New Member

My gyno was the first person I went to when these symptoms started. I was 48 hot flashing and thought a lil estrogen would make me a new woman!!! NOT!!! I also thought the odd stiffness and pain in my legs was related NOT!!!

She ran some test said I was a lil lo on the estrogen gave me a very lo dose patch(had hyster. 5 yrs ago and like gbhope wish I never did)and said i have no idea why you are in so much pain.

so the story goes on like almost everyone elses from there..Many docs fibro dx. and still in pain . Noone has told me my female hormones or lack ther of have contributed to this dd!! sorry feel better soon!!:)
  15. mariee

mariee Member

Hi there,
    Me again. I had a hysterectomy on 3.13.05.
    From what I am researching, HRT is not just taking estrogen. That is why I wondered if anyone has tried the compounding pharmacies. I have other symptoms that suggest low testostorone...(sp?) Compounding pharmacies work w. health care providers who test all hormones through blood/saliva....
    A good website for people who want info about hysterectomies is hystersisters.com No charge...great info.
    Best wishes, all.
    Mariee
  16. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I knew I couldn't be alone in this!!

Tona.. I'll try the Estroven.. at this point I'll try anything!!
  17. tonakay

tonakay New Member

Back here it is three bucks a box cheaper at wallyworld. The box says give it time to work... I think it is around $15.99 a box at wallyworld and that is a month supply...

Love ya!
  18. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Dona...I am 48 and am in perimenopause. My doctor recommended Estroven, too, (Costco has it, too), and it is helping along with products from Revival Soy. They have a website (revivalsoy.com, I think). Between the 2, my night sweats and hot flashes are MUCH better!! My FM is still the same (I've had it more than 10 years), but maybe these products will help you, too. Good Luck!! Ann

PS Revival Soy was started by a doctor whose mother had terrible menopause symptoms. And you are NOT alone in all of this!!!
  19. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I'm going to town tomorrow so I'll pick some up.. here's hoping!! : )
  20. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

... I was going through some desperate times with perimenopause and all of this other conditions .. my young woman doctor put me on a very low dose birth control pill .. I was floored but she explained that it is NOT HRT .. no dangers for me .. and I can take this for about 5 years to help smooth out the transition to true menopause .. I have to say I'm up and down still .. but not as bad as I was .. aka the "beat up the vacuum" session has NOT occured again in years ... that was one session that reminds me I'm almost sane for now ! haha
    Good luck with the supplements .. they can be a wonderful help too !
    Fudge : )