On Oxycontin, Need HELP PLEASE maybe MIRAPEX?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Achyten, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Achyten

Achyten New Member

I"m on oxycontin 20mgs every morning,, and sometimes a break through pain pill, oxycodone, on some days.
    Lately, I seem to be needing a breakthrough pill more often. I do not want to keep taking these narcotics,, anymore, even though they do help me. I"m afraid.

I"ve been reading all the success that some of you have with Mirapex,,,do you think I could take that instead of the narcotics? I"m on effexor xr, and trazadone, both anti depressants,,,would I have to quit taking them too?

I would really appreciate it if someone would help with this,, then I could go to the dr. and ask for Mirapex.
    He is sooo dumb, when it comes to fms, and doesn't have the time of day for me, he sits on the edge of his chair as if he's in one big hurry to get rid of me.

Thankyou kindly,,,, and God bless, Achyten
  2. Achyten

Achyten New Member

I"m going to bed soon,, and was watching and waiting for maybe a comment or two. Nuthin yet?

Maybe its a dumb question,,,, I dunno
  3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

If you want to stop opiates with no withdrawals you can take a drug called Subutex. You dissolve it under your tongue.

I stopped MS Contin and transitioned to Subutex over a year ago successfully. It also treats my fibro pain. The only other drug I take now is Tylenol Gel Caps and occasional Ultram.

I have been on the same dose of 16 mg day this entire time.

When I wanted to stop MS Contin, my pain doctor gave me the option of going to Methadone, or to use Subutex. In my case I had so many side effects from opiates, I wanted to stop them. They did stop the pain, but I was to the point I needed to increase the dosage and did not want to.

My pain doctor has several fibro patients on this drug doing well. I was not interested in tapering off the MS Contin, I have so many other problems, I did not want to deal with that also.

I am not familiar with Mirapex. Maybe someone else here will post on that drug.

If you need info on Subutex I can give you the phone number of my doctor in Redondo Beach, CA. He has the entire protocol printed out.

4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Achyten:

I wish I knew the answer for you. I just wanted to let you know that you will get good advice here, so just be patient. Sometimes I write a post and do not see the responses until the next day.

I usually go back to the posts that have fallen behind and try to get to as many as possible.

nyrofan
  5. Achyten

Achyten New Member

So much,pvlady, for your suggesting Subutex,, I"ve never heard of it, it kind of sounds like ativan, I know thats how you take that,, the sublingual one that is,, but its not for pain, so it can't be. I"m going to look it up onthe internet and find out more. You are a dear, for offering your help, I appreciate it so much.

Prickles, the TENS machine, has never been mentioned to me by the dr. and it makes me wonder why, cause he knows I hate to take narcotics. I don't want to be on them for the rest of my life,, and it seems if I don't come up with a suggestion,, he won't even try. I have been to 3 drs here since I moved here, and didn't like any of them. I"ve been asking for an MRI for years, but they keep telling me that I don't look like a person who needs to have an MRI. Of all the nerve! I sometimes feel like I have MS,too,but how and the heck, will I ever find out? Instead they'd rather just right out a script, and get me out of the office.
    Sorry, I got carried away, thinking about the drs, I"ve had so far here,,I"m so tired of searching for a doc that cares.
    I"m going to ask about the TENS machine, andsee what happens. Thankyou, Prickles!

Gentle hugs,, Achyten
  6. abcanada

abcanada New Member

I too am very interested in Mirapex, but have not taken the time to research...like I have time. Anyway anyone know off hand what type of drug this is?, what else is it used for?, how long before you can expect results? I have alot of drug sensativities and find nothing but Narcotics are suitable. There are times when the narcotics are appropriate, but times in my life when they definately are not. This is because I do get 'buzzed'off of them. I'm looking for something that will get rid of my pain. Thank you ,laura
  7. abcanada

abcanada New Member

Achyten,

I wanted to add that I had to beg for an MRI, but just got one the other night. Haven't gotten results yet, but MS, and other things have been suspected. I waited for 6 months, and if you can believe this my appointment wasn't supposed to be until FEB 2007! Make sure you let them know that you want/need this as you can not function worrying about things. I got all that you don't look like you need one tooo. I suddenly got ill during pregnancy, and after birth of last child, so somethign is not right. I'll let you know the results, hopefully in a few days. Laura Take care.
  8. sammyjj

sammyjj New Member

"WOW" I sure do a lot of looking on messafe boards and it is helpful VERY much. I do 10mg Oxy every 12 hrs. it isthe ER type. I also do Vicoin5mg just to get started 1-2 times a day. Usually one at night. I am 69years old and I know I may get hook,,,,,,, but so far the pain relief is best. AND I am still able to teach Line Dancing!! So, I see there is lots of meds. and I hope we ALL get the correct tyoe that will work for us.. I also have Angina from 2 minor blood viens and Diabetes... So, I Thank ALL for the info. My Heart goes out to eveyone,Wishing the Very BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!Hugs to all
  9. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

I tried Mirapex, and failed. It just made my muscles hurt and contract even more! I also couldn't sleep while on this drug.

We are all different, so it may be just the ticket for you. I've also failed on tons of antidepressants and muscle relaxants, and the fentanyl pain patch.

Currently I'm having success on what you are on. I take a long acting oxycodone every 12 hours and 1-2 hydrocodone per day. I also take soma 4 times a day and lorazepam at night to help get into stage 4 sleep.

It's not totally successful, but working okay for the moment.

I also use Hal Blatman's Winner's Guide to Pain Relief, which shows how to work trigger points and how to stretch them after worked.

Hot soaks help, as well as getting outside everyday for a walk. Physical therapy massages help for about a day or two.

I'm not sure why you are afraid of these drugs. I did a lot of homework on them (google searches, etc.) ans they are actually better for you than all the other junk your dr. tends to put you on (antidepressants, anti-inflamatories, cymbalta, lyrica, etc.)
    Best of luck...
    Mini
    [This Message was Edited on 11/07/2006]