on social security

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by vertiesmth, Oct 4, 2005.

1. vertiesmth

vertiesmth New Member

IS THERE ANY ONE OUT THERE WHO IS ON SS AND HAS APPLIED FOR DISABILITY SUCCESSFULLY? I AM THINKING OF DOING IT. WOULD APPRECIATE SOME INFORMATION ON THE SUBJECT. THANKS AND LUCK TO ALL. VERTIE
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

Vertie,

I have never heard of anyone who was receiving regular social security payments who also receives SS disability.

To be certain, call your local Social Security office.

From the way I understand it .... I am on SSDI now, but I am not old enough to receive the "regular" Social Security. When I reach the Social Security age, my disability benefits will just "change over" to the regular Social Security benefits and I will be considered to be no longer receiving SS disability.

Hugs,
    Janet
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

you are all ready retired on social security so you can not get ssdi or ssi. you are retired on social security all ready it is final....you can work and earn morem more money. you can search the ssa.gov and get answers too. so if you get a monthly soicial security check then you can't draw both again. i think i recall in your bio you are a widow, you can always go after your husbands social securit. i had a friend tht did that so she got about 250 a month more.

good luck
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

As Jodie just said, have you contacted Soc. Sec. when you became a widow to make sure you get the correct pay from the formula they figure up what your SS would be from your husband's?

Also, are you receiving any type of widow's pension from your husband's former place of employment?

Have you checked out all of the programs offered in your town for low income? Like signing up for winter heating assistance, etc. Sometimes cities will offer their senior citizens discounts on the cities services like water & sewage bills.

Also, senior citizens can have their property taxes reduced on the home that they are living in, but I can't remember WHY they can do that--what's it's called. Darn this foggy head of mine!!

If you are having a hard time getting by, call the Social Services offices and ask them if you qualify for food stamps. Sometimes the Salvation Army will had out commodities to low income once a month.

Are you having any type of particular problems that we might be able to offer you suggestions on?

If so, let us know how we can help you.

Hugs,
    Janet
  5. vertiesmth

vertiesmth New Member

THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR REPLIES. MOST PEOPLE DONT TAKE THE TIME TO MESS WITH AN OLDER PERSON. YOU ALL ARE PROBABLY RIGHT ABOUT ME NOT GETTING DISABILITY, BUT I WILL CHECK INTO IT ANYWAY. THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE ADVICE. HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY AND WEEK. MUCH LOVE TO ALL, VERTIE
  6. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Do you have a Senior Resource Center in your town? Our town has one that is quite active and provided a host of services to people over 60...a daily lunch, legal advice, classes, home meal delivery, etc. It would be a good thing to check. When I get to be 60, I intend to look and see what's available.

Anyway, I'm glad you got such good response. You, also, have a great day!

Sue
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

What do you mean that a lot of people don't take the time to mess with an older person?!!!!!!!!! LOL

A lot of us are no spring chickens either!!!!!!!

If you have it together enough to use a computer and be active on a message board ...... they you are mightly young at heart!!!!! There are many younger persons that don't even want to learn anything about a computer!

My mother is 75 and she is so afraid of using a computer--she won't even try! Says she is too old! So see -- you're hip!!

Hope to talk with you often! Let us all know if you need any other help on questions!

Much love!
    Janet

8. vertiesmth

vertiesmth New Member

HEY GIRL, THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR REPLY. YOU ARE JUST A YOUNG KID. I'M 68 AND HOLDING. LOL VERY YOUNG AT HEART. BEING ON SS ALREADY I FIGURED IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE FOR ME TO GET DISABILITY. I ALREADY HAVE MY HUSBANDS. I AM THINKING OF WORKING AT HOME ON COMPUTER. WILL CHECK ON THAT IN THE NEAR FUTURE, AS I AM WORKING ON A SENIOR CITIZEN PROGRAM.BUT I AM GETTING SO TIRED I DONT KNOW HOW MUCH LONGER I CAN HOLD OUT. IT IS QUITE TAXING ON MY BODY. CATCH YA' LATER, VERTIE
    [This Message was Edited on 10/07/2005]
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

Thanks for the compliment about being a young kid!!! I'm almost 55 and holding!!!! I just wished that I FELT LIKE A YOUNG KID!!!

Good luck on whatever you get into -- computer work, etc.

I know how taxing it can be on a body! I might be younger, but my body certainly has its problems and I'm not able to do anything now! Due to my back problems, I can only stand up about 10 minutes and can barely walk out to our mailbox to get the mail and newspapers!!

Hugs,
    Janet