On the Ball

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bunnylover, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Bunnylover

Bunnylover New Member

Just wanted to share about my visits to physical therapist. I went for 9 visits and yes they helped some of the stiffness and my pain was lowered to where I can tolerate it. It did'nt make it go away and now they are trying to get an MRI setup. Getting an Insurance co to grant one is like pulling teeth. Being on the ball is exactly what I'm doing right now. In physical therapy we used a huge excersize ball and it really can give you low impact excercize without pain. I sit on it and do a few while I'm on the internet. If anyone wants to try one you can buy it at your local Wal-mart very reasonably priced. I love it!!! Terri
  2. Bunnylover

Bunnylover New Member

Just wanted to share about my visits to physical therapist. I went for 9 visits and yes they helped some of the stiffness and my pain was lowered to where I can tolerate it. It did'nt make it go away and now they are trying to get an MRI setup. Getting an Insurance co to grant one is like pulling teeth. Being on the ball is exactly what I'm doing right now. In physical therapy we used a huge excersize ball and it really can give you low impact excercize without pain. I sit on it and do a few while I'm on the internet. If anyone wants to try one you can buy it at your local Wal-mart very reasonably priced. I love it!!! Terri
  3. karen55

karen55 New Member

I started using the therapy balls, or resist-a-balls, as they are sometimes known, in physical therapy a few years ago. I have 3 different sized ones at home. They are actually good for stretching too, and you are correct, they are great for low impact exercises. They help strengthen your core muscles, because you use them trying to balance on the balls. When I first started using one, I couldn't stay on it, couldn't keep upright, etc. There are many, many different exercises you can do on them. You can use the ball in Pilates too, if you can even handle the Pilates. I've got the tapes, but can't deal with the Pilates at this time. Anyone else use the balls??
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I once saw someone standing on the ball to improve his balance. Now, I just know that if I were to get one, I couldn't stop myself from trying this and would probably break my neck.

Love, Mikie
  5. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Don't go out and buy one Mikie....I will send you the square version ---eshhhh!
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Could not resist standing on it too!

Last month, I told my husband I wanted a pair of roller skates, I used to be a terrific skater! He asked if I lost my 'ever loving mind'! I said, I though that would be great exercise, I could skate on the patio, or the upstairs porch (live in the country, no sidewalks and no paved street, blacktop), he said that the weight of the skates would have me in bed for a month! Gee, this is awful, I used to skate all night long, and I still think I can do it(not all night long, but at least for a ten minutes a day)!

Oh well, it would be like the 'ball', would want to stand on the ball, and do figures with the skates!

Good luck with your exercise Terri, and sure hope it helps you.

Shalom, Shirl

7. karen55

karen55 New Member

I would never have even thought of standing on the ball! It never occurred to me that people DID. Oh well, you can be sure, that's one thing I WON'T be trying. :)
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Get out! I used to roller skate too. I still have my old skates from the 50's. I used to compete in figure skating and won some medals in state competition. It occupied my whole life during junior high school. I now also have roller blades. I no longer do it because I just can't right now, but I keep the skates because I hope to be able to skate again.

I also still have my skis and would love nothing better than to be able to ski even the most gentle of slopes one of these days. I want to be able to play tennis too. Who knows, maybe some day.

We have a skating rink here where you can use traditonal roller skates or roller blades or ice skates on the ice rink. It is excellent exercise, but I'm afraid of a bad fall.

Love, Mikie
  9. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I am impressed that you can roller skate, my balance is such that I can't even stand up on skates, let alone actually go anywhere on them! This ball sounds intriguing--- you wouldn't catch me trying to balance on it though (if I were wanting to try that, I might as well just GO to the emergency room & do it there, for convenience's sake...) The low-impact ball exercise sounds interesting, though, & I may be convinced to venture into a scary Wal-mart to get one! Do they come with easy exercise directions, or is this something better left to a PT to explain & show you??

Hugs,
    Pam
  10. karen55

karen55 New Member

Most of them come with an instructional video, although many people will say it's best to get personal instruction. Plus, there are various videos out for specific exercises on the ball, including the Pilates I listed above.
    I learned to use one in physical therapy, but I found the video that came with my ball was adequate instruction.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

She was 92 when she learned gentle exercises on the ball. She really liked it and it helped her balance and posture.

Love, Mikie