Once again I have that nasty dry cough that makes me feel horrid

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, Dec 27, 2005.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

OVer christmas my daughter came down with a bad cold. And she may have giiven it to her 9 month old baby. So this Grandma is worried.

But I started out to day with my usual dry cough and it leaves my chest feeling tight, no pain just that dang old cough and my throat feels dry and scratchy too. It is getting annoying too. I hate feeling like this. But unless you have a fever the doctors will not do anything like usuing a antiviral medicatation.

So unless I get a temp that is high I will just have to live with it. And i am one that has a low body temp all the time It is usually 95.6 -96.6 so I jst have this low temp and when my body temp does get to the standard NORMAL of 98.6 I have a fever but to most doctors I don't and I am up a creek.
    I have had this before and I went to get flu shot and they were out for about a week as this town has alot of eldery people in it. And I just have not got around to getting a flu shot since then and now it may be to late.

And tonight they said on the news that there is a new kind of flu called the califorinia flu and it is bad the flu shots are not stopping this flu and there has already been a death from this flu. A baby in califorinia.. So if you get the flu get checked out as it could be this new strain of flu that is deadly.

It is hard for me to tell if I have the flu as my body always hurts in my joints andI am really tired all the time and don't feel good any way. I already ache all over and now with this cough I am just feeling worse .

So if this gets worse I will be seeing my GP about it and finding out what I can do for it.

So please take care and stay healthy for this new year .
    Hugs to all
    Rosemarie
  2. sdown

sdown New Member

Hi, My son who is 11 is taking Stodal manufactured by Boiron for his cough. Its really helping and the phlegm is coming out his nose which is a good thing. Stodal is a homeopathic solution that was recommended by my pharmacist. It also is available for adults. Its better than the other cough medicine that has alcohol and other garbage in it. Im in Alberta Canada so dont know if you have this product where you are. I find having a pharmacist who sells and knows about supplements and homeopathic solutions is a God sent. Hope your better soon!
  3. jaltair

jaltair New Member

The "California Flu" virus isn't really a new virus; the virus is included in the flu vaccine for this year. The reason that some people come down with the flu after a shot is usually because they didn't develop sufficient antibodies for some reason. This is rare! The people who die from having the flu are the very small children and very old as well as those with chronic illness.

California has an "Influenza Surveillance Project" every year where reports and specimans are collected and looked at for viral typing. This period is for 2005-2006 season.

Each week, there is an Influenza Update. For the – Week 50 (December 11 - December 17, 2005): (this will discuss the "California" flu virus)

"Overall, global influenza activity continues to be at low levels for most parts of the world, however, during week 49, several countries observed an increase in activity including Japan, Tunisia, and Canada. In Canada, influenza activity was reported as widespread in southern Alberta and localized in central Alberta and in two health regions of British Columbia. Sporadic activity was reported in parts of Ontario, British Columbia and Alberta, while the rest of the country reported no activity The National Microbiology Laboratory (NML) has antigenically characterized 31 influenza viruses; <b> 19 A/California/07/04-like viruses </b>, nine B/Hong Kong/330/01-like, and three B/Shanghai/361/02-like.

In the United States, influenza activity increased in the southwestern part of the country. The proportion of patient visits to sentinel providers for influenza-like illness ( ILI ) is at 2.6% which is above the baseline for the country (2.2%).

<b> The proportion of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza was below baseline level. </b>

CDC has antigenically characterized 26 influenza viruses: 21 influenza A/California/07/2004-like viruses, two showed reduced titers with antisera produced against A/Califonia/07/2004, two B/Yamagata/16/88 lineage (one B/Florida/07/2004-like and one B/Shanghai/361/2002), and one influenza B(B/Victoria/2/87 lineage)-like virus The 2005-2006 season vaccine contains an A/New Caledonia/20/99 (H1N1)-like, an A/California/7/04 (H3N2)-like, and a B/Shanghai/361/02-like virus strain."

Some people with egg allergies can't take the flu shot. However, if a person is in the high-risk group, it is recommended that they have one. This group includes: people with chronic illnesses, children between the ages of six and 23 months, and people aged 65 and over; Also health care workers or people caring for chronically ill people should have the shot.

The flu shot may take up to 2 weeks before antibodies are sufficient to help prevent flu. However, if a person has a flu shot and gets the flu within that period of time, usually it is a milder case. If you need a flu shot, contact your county health care system. They may still be giving shots. We are!

Warm wishes, Jeannette
  4. Gly

Gly New Member

Rosemarie, I had a persistent dry cough, scratchy throat and chest tightness recently. Mine turned out to be acid reflux due to getting an Actonel pill caught in my esophagus. My doctor could see the irritation at the back of my throat. I've been taking Nexium for 2 weeks and it's much better.