Once you get your CPAP machine how long does it take to get better

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bobbycat, Dec 24, 2008.

1. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

I was diagnoised with sleep apenea and I just got my machine how long does it take for you to see results. I still feel tired.
  2. Juloo

Juloo Member

My husband said he started feeling results after about a week. He's had a CPAP for several years now (he's actually on his second machine). However, we both see the drop in his energy level fairly immediately when he has to go without. Be patient with yourself!
  3. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

Thanks for the information. My machine is a REMstar/plus and I have a full mask. I know am having trouble as it wakes me up as my throat and mouth get so dry I have to stop and drink water in the middle of the night. I am a mouth breather. I also have woke up with headaches and my chest feels like I am getting a cold. Anyone else with these problems.
  4. Cinderbug

Cinderbug New Member

I love my c-pap. I felt less headachy and slept better right away but the daytime fatigue did not improve until the doctor added the prescription med, Provigil in addition to the c-pap.

Now I am much less tired and much more alert. They make a perfect combination for me!
  5. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I have been using my cpap machine for about 6 weeks, honestly I haven't felt any better. I wake up feeling like I could go back to bed. I also have the full mask....starting out with the medium size and then using the small size mask because of leaks. I go in soon for a recheck with a sleep doctor. Maybe he will have some suggestions, I hope its just a matter of working through the kinks.

I hope things are working out better for you...if I learn anything useful I'll let you know.

6. gongee

gongee New Member

I was diagnosed with sleep apena in 2005 and at that time, I also weighed 150 lbs.
    After starting to use the CPAP I saw results in just a matter of a few days. I slept well and woke up rested with no headaches.

I read where one person has trouble with dry mouth. Do you have a humdifier on your CPAP? I was tested with and without and with it, it was great.

About 6-8 months ago, I began have problems waking up in the night with a feeling of too much air in my lungs and a heaviness in my chest or I would pull the mask off in my sleep and throw it in the floor.

I went back to the sleep clinic and was assured I was fine and they had no idea why I would be pulling it off. Finally, in November this year, I was able to go back to my original sleep doctor as he was again accepting my insurance. I did another overnight sleep study without the CPAP and lol and behold, I did not have one apnea. I was told congratulations I could put it away in the closet for now. The reason for no apeneas was I had lost 50 lbs over the past years due to being sick and it actually stopped the problem. I was told to keep my weight down, but because of it being so low at the present time, they would like for me to gain at least 15 to 20 pounds. Never had anyone to tell me to gain weight.

I also was told that if I started to have any problems again to just come back and we would retest. I do admit that when I did need it, it was wonderful.

7. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

Thanks for answering and giving me your thoughts. I still am having trouble as my mouth gets so dry that I can barely close it and yes I do have a Humidfier with it. I am trying to get the right settings as that may be the problem. I do not have a automatic on as this was donated to me. Sheila I am glad you don't have to use the CPAP machine.. I call it the crap machine.
  8. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, bobbycat.

I have had a CPAP machine for a few years now. Actually, I now have an APAP machine (automatically adjusting the pressure), and I like it a lot better. I tried several masks, humidifier, etc., and here's what I've settled on: I have what my sister-in-law, the respiratory therapist, calls the "nasal cannula on steroids" type mask that clamps to the top of your head, comes down in front of your face between your eyes and mates with your two nostrils, so that you breathe through your nose only. I use a chin strap to keep my mouth shut while I'm sleeping. No more dry mouth, no more messy humidifier. What's more, I can sleep with the side of my face on the pillow, and there is no problem with leaks. Those full-face masks used to leak or come off while I was sleeping, and that was a real bummer!

If I get allergies or colds that plug up my nose, I use Vicks Vaporub in my nostrils, or take Sudafed or Benedryl, depending on whether it's a cold or allergy. I'm able to sleep well now, and no headaches or excessive ear ringing in the morning, or inability to remember the details of what happened yesterday, or blanking out while driving, etc. If you need it, this machine is wonderful!

9. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

Thanks for the information I may try a different mask. I keep ripping this off as I am having alot of problems with it. Again thanks, Bobbycat
  10. grayfryer

grayfryer New Member

I've been on cpap machine 2 months definate improvement,have dreams now, higher degree of alertness,, ] overwhelming fatigue cut by a third,muscle pain still about same ,
    like the idea of the chin strap as i do still wake 2/3 times which is better that what it was,,but return to sleep within a short time,,... Has also helped me to be more relaxed and more engaging
    socially ....