One month without sugar and NO FLARES

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hocking, May 30, 2003.

1. Hocking

Hocking New Member

Sorry for the all caps, but I am becoming convinced that sugar and carbs are toxic and that the cure (at least it's working for me and I've been fighting this DD since 1998) is to stop eating this awful American diet of sugar, flour, sweets and junk. I'm following Atkins, but there are other low-carb plans/ways of eating that probably are just as good for you. I'm getting to the point now, when I see yet another flabby, out-of-shape mess of a person leaving WalMart with bags of chips and liters of pop that I want to say something. I never would, really (very nice person here). But folks, if you want to do something for your health and get results in days: STOP EATING SUGAR.
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I am not a sweets eater, but do know that others will appreciate your testimony here!

I am one of those people that stay thin, my husband hates my way of eating, no fun he tells me.

Do not drink sodas either. Boring huh??

Shalom, Shirl
  3. Kay2

Kay2 New Member

I know when I did Dr.Atkins diet I felt wonderful. I didn't the highs and lows that I do now. Lost lots of weight also. Once you get off it. it is soo hard to get back on though. I am going to try it here real soon again. I am not really over weight. but I had so much more energy and just felt so much better while on it.Good luck to you.
  4. Kim

Kim New Member

I am on a modified version of Atkins. I always stayed away from wheat and sugar but since I really cut back on carbs, I have MORE energy.

Before, my avg. breakfast was oatmeal, soymilk, and some fruit and nuts (not bad). That was still too many carbs and I crashed in a few hours. I've had a VERY hard time not eating lots of fruit throughout the day but the Atkins bars (net 3 carbs) help my craving and each one has around 10 grams of fiber. Right now, I'm not worried about my LDL getting high because it was extremely low, my HDL was extremely high, I'm nowhere near overweight and my triglicerides are 48. I'm just enjoying more energy and not feeling guilty about eating a 3-egg omlette and an Atkins bar for breakfast!
  5. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

Glad to hear you are doing so much better.

I did Atkins last year and lost 45 pounds. Have kept all of it off. I did not feel one bit better. As far as weight loss it worked so much better for me than low fat which seems to work for some people. I just didn't get the energy I had hoped for. Most people lose 10 pounds and feel better :(

My best friend is very heavy and runs circles around me. Working 50 hours a week, keeping her house up and having a social life.................Glad for her but I wish I could have some energy. I would trade places with her in a minute even if people thought I was
    another flabby, out-of-shape mess of a person leaving WalMart with bags of chips and liters of pop , as you stated. At least she is enjoying her life.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/31/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 05/31/2003]
  6. tulip922s

tulip922s New Member

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Just ordered the Atkins diet book from ebay and can't wait to give it a try. Even though I'm not overweight,,,must admit I crave sugar BAD,,,,trying so hard to do without it. Good the hear you're doing better. Best of luck. Tulip
  7. vinetti23

vinetti23 New Member

I did atkins and also this thing called "Lean Bodies" by cliff sheats (similar to atkins... but he wants you to eat a lot of complex carbs and much less fat than Atkins)

Anyhow, I saw it work for my best friend... but I couldn't handle it...I was kinda moody and I wanted bread so bad that I was going to hurt someone to get it. I also can't really find it in my heart to give up pasta. (Plus, I read somewhere - Andrew Weil I think - that pasta is ok if you use the real Italian Semolina kind and you undercook it so it digests slower & doesnt spike the insulin...). I dont really eat refined sugar or High Fructose Corn Syrup because I get headaches from those things.

If the lack of bread & pasta didnt do me in... the chocolate cravings did! I tried those "atkins" lo carb chocolate bars - they are ok. But seriously I am bad - I eat Baker's Chocolate...
  8. loopyloo

loopyloo New Member

My sister has been on the slimming world diet and has lost 22 lb in the last 5/6 weeks you have red days when you eat meat dishes and green day when you eat potato pasta or rice you cannot mix them you can eat over stuff like fruit veg and you have 22 points a day so you can vertually eat what you want as long as you dont mix meat with carbs potato/rice and pasta.
    she said she eats porridge every morning 1/2 a bowl it is very filling then a piece of fruit,for lunch she has a tupperware box full of cut up fruit and 2 muller light youghurts they are free so you can have as much as you like and in the evening she has either meat with salad or veg or pasta with veg or rice and veg or jacket potatoe with beans or some thing the weight is dropping of her, so i am going to try that as well as it sounds easy as you do not have to go without any thing you really like as long as you have small portions and count the points,she said she has gone down 2 dress sizes already in 6 weeks you can have diet fizzy drinks they are free foods so no limit, i will keep a look out for your posts and let you know how i do (((((((((((big hugs)))))))))))))
    Loopyloo xx
  9. gbean

gbean New Member

Just remember that sometimes when you see "flabby" people that they may have a chronic illness. Maybe they have coke and chips in their bag- but you don't know if those are for their family or if they don't eat and drink them that often.
    I was always thin until I got fibromyalgia. I've gained fifty pounds and am now overweight due to the inability to exercise. I also have to take trazadone to sleep which is an older anti-depressant that slows the metabolism and makes it hard to loose weight. I can have only five hundred calories a day and still not loose weight. Others you may see that are overweight may have lupus and the prednisone caused the weight gain. You just never know. I've even tried the Atkins diet and don't loose weight.
  10. gbean

gbean New Member

Also,
    I've done anti-sugar-anti-yeast diets and the atkins diet and it didn't help my fibromyalgia pain at all. What may work for you is great, but it may not work for everyone.