One more...body temperature swings?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bambi, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Bambi

Bambi New Member

As a rule I feel HOT..I keep the air conditioning at about 63 day and night
    year round...BUT, after sleeping more than about 4 hours I feel FREEZING cold.
    I took a nap this afternoon and am now
    sitting covered with 3 thick throws and
    a doubled over flannel sheet, heater on.
    My poor husband bought a thick fuzzy blanket for the nights and a thick robe
    for mornings, but keeps a pair of summer
    shorts handy for my COLD spells when I have the heater on in July. My thyroid tests are fine (Th3 and 4? isn't that what they check?). This was pre FM also,
    or before I knew it..even as a small child. Funny experience was when my cousin talked to a group in a city near
    us about me. The think they are from another planet and when they heard I reacted to the Grand Canyon as "a big
    hole" and the Redwoods as "big trees,
    ho hum"...they believe nothing impresses
    their members as they came froma planet
    with things so much BIGGER and blah blah.
    Maybe I should see if they had FM on planet ZORDON or whereever they think
    they came from and what they used for it?
    LOL! Am really curious about the temperature swings though. I don't feel
    SICK when it happens, well no more than I
    do any day with the FM anyway. Any similar folks or ideas out there?
    Hugs,Bambi
  2. Combatmedic

Combatmedic New Member

Have you monitored your body temp?
    I found out early on, while I was still working, but had started getting sick, that I run a low grade fever off and on, every single day. My temp ranges from 96.9-99.4. Usually I will become uncomfortable, and even start sweating from around 98.7 on up, sometimes even at 98.5 I'm sweaty. I go through the hot/cold thing allllll the time. I almost always wear short sleeves, year round, but always have a zip up hooded sweatshirt nearby, because my arms and feet well be sooo cold, but not my underarms, I'm ALWAYS perspiring, it is very uncomfortable, and can even be depressing, I'm always slapping deodorant on because I'm self-conscious that I might start to stink. (Hubby just laughs at me, and swears up and down that I do not smell) but it's still worrisome to always perspire.

I'd check your temp every couple of hours, or when you start feeling hot. You may or may not have a temp, either way, I feel ya.....know what your going through. (Know what your husband's going through too! lol)

Medic
  3. Jewelz

Jewelz New Member

Hi. I have degenative disk in my upper back and neck area. I also have hormonal problems (endometriosis).. My temp normal when freezing is 97.2 and when Im sweating I can go up to 99.7 in fever stage (with rose red cheeks). Mine is kinda odd Ill go a week freezing and then 2-4 days straight with a fever. I do find that I hurt seriously worse when Im cold. I try to take long warm baths when my temp is low to raise it back up. I have a flannel comforter my husband hates it, but its is great when Im freezing its like a heater!! lol Makes ya sweat.. I also try to find the warmest part of the house and nest there for a period of time (like naps). I also find that drinking hot liquids help too but they tend to make my nose run every single time.. I hope this helps you.

Regards,
    Misty
  4. ozgran

ozgran New Member

Yes Bambi, I run hot to the point of severe sweating and then for no apparent reason I will feel cold. It is mostly the being hot though. Last time in the heated pool I actually got the cold shivers and I have never done anything like that before. My poor husband doesn't feel the heat and it has always been a problem with him feeling cold with the airconditioner on but he is really feeling it this summer here in "Oz" as he comes home to a house he almost shivers in sometimes. Like you I dress like it is peak of summer most of the time. I am mostly in a T shirt and light 3/4 length cotton trousers. I can also wake up feeling cold which is a bit weird. Have never thought to take my temp' so will buy a thermometer and see what is going on there. Have had my thyroid tested fairly regularly over the years but would have no idea of any readings. My BP is OK. In fact I had to come off one tablet after this DD set in properly as it was dropping too low. It's all just weird isnt it? Love Ozgran
    [This Message was Edited on 01/29/2003]
  5. robin

robin New Member

a-YEH..i DO. gO FROM WARM TO COOL TO COLD; BACK
    TO WARM. CAN BE IN BED WATCHING T.V. WITH A SWEAT
    SHIRT ON...NEXT THING I AM FEELING OVERLY HOT SO OFF
    COMES THE SWEATSHIRT. I WEAR MOSTLY SPRING CLOTHES
    ALL YEAR ROUND WITH WINTER CLOTHES (DARKER COLORS)
    dEC-mARCH) NEVER HAD THE PROBLEM TILL I GOT FIBRO!!
    MY INNER THERMOSTAT IS NOT 98.7 OR WHATEVER NORMAL #
    USUALLY IS. MY TEMP INSIDE ME USUALLY REGISTERS
    96.7 WHICH IS ABNORMAL BUT THEN SO IS THE REST OF ME!
    USED TO BE AN ALL SEASON GAL, NOW ANY EXTREME TEMPERATURE
    CAN THROW MY INNARDS INTO A TAILSPIN...WINTERS HAVE TURNED
    FROSTY ON ME AND SUMMERS I FEEL I WILL DIE FROM THE HEAT.
    I RAN AN A.C. INTO OCTOBER! THEN I SWITCH IT TO FAN FOR
    THE NOISE AND MOVING AIR...
    MY BODY HAS GONE INSANE AND HOPING MY MIND WON'T.

rOBIN
  6. Bambi

Bambi New Member

I got a great laugh out of some of
    what you all said, and I know it's
    miserable and not so funny at times
    when it's happening. When I wrote it
    I was cold I think and later on I had
    the air conditioning on at 62/63 degrees and was fanning myself. Now
    I'm back with the blankets and the
    heater on..my husband came out of the
    kitchen awhile ago and looked at me
    funny and said, "Do you have the heater on now?". I said "yes, I'm
    freezing"...he just laughed and went
    back to the kitchen. I know he thinks
    I'm really over the edge. My body temp doesn't go high it's always around the 95.6 to 97 area. If it goes to normal then I can bet on getting sick. I'm glad to know I'm not alone but sorry you all have to
    deal with it also. I haven't found a
    reason for this or much in the usual
    literature, but am going to try and
    find some info on it. Thanks alot!
    Hugs, Bambi
    sick shortly after.
  7. jaster45

jaster45 New Member

My temp. had and does flucuate from 96.7 to 99.8.I go through the hot and cold thing.When very ill years ago it was pretty frequent and the stronger I got and the better I felt it happened less and less.Although periodically this still occurs.

Take care,
    Jaster45
  8. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I think I'm an amphibian......in the hot, humid summer, I run a low grade fever almost constantly, up to 100.3 at the most, usually somewhere around 99.5. I get the flushed cheeks, too, after about 10 minutes outdoors. In the cold winter (I live in Kansas) my temperature is never above about 97.5, and I'm freezing no matter how warm the house is. Most days I feel I never get warm enough to be comfortable.

This is not the norm for warm-blooded creatures....but it seems many of us are saying the same thing, so planet Zordon must be the home planet for us FM/CFS sufferers...

Hugs,
    Pam
    [This Message was Edited on 01/30/2003]
  9. karen55

karen55 New Member

We must be long lost twins, I am JUST like you with body temp and blood pressure, only my body temp/climatatic temp reactions are opposite yours. My poor hubby wears sweats in the house in summer because I turn the AC so low. I sweat all night long and it even wakes me up.
    The cold weather never used to bother me, in fact, I used to love it, and even when it was in the 40's and 50's outside, I would sleep with the bedroom window open. This year I hate it. And I cannot get warm when it's below 60 degrees outside. And again, my poor hubby, who is ALWAYS cold, is suffering because I keep turning the heat higher. Same fluctuations with my blood pressure.
    It seems like I have a VERY narrow comfort zone, temperature-wise.
    But I've noticed every time I go to the doc's appointments (of which there have been many lately), when they take my temp it varies from 97.1 to 99.1, and I'm not sick when I go.