One more Question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MsE, Jun 30, 2006.

1. MsE

MsE New Member

I have read some articles that indicate estrogen dominance may cause or exaccerbate CFS. Has anyone heard if low estrogen also plays a part in CFS? Has anyone improved by using HRT?

I ask this because as I think back to when I first started getting really bad with this stuff, it was at the same time that I was quitting estrogen. One of the things the doc did was put me back on estrogen. Then all the flap about estrogen and heart problems, etc., came out in the early 200's, and I went off it again. However, I've been more tired since. But then, I'm also older. :) So--have any of you found using some estrogen to be helpful? Or, have you read articles about this? I can't find any.
  2. Daisys

Daisys Member

I also would be careful about what type of estrogen to use. Be careful about using the term natural, explain what you mean. Some 'natural' estrogens are natural for a horse. They have different estrogens from human, some very much stronger. Premarin is from pregnant mare's urine, that's how they got the name.
    Tell your doctor, if you're going to use estrogen, that you want bio-identical estrogen (the source can be discussed).
    You want to make sure you and your doctor are using the terms in the same way, so you don't end up with something you don't want. The terms can get confusing even for some doctors.
  3. MsE

MsE New Member

The estrogen I've used in the past and the one I'm considering returning to is the Vivelle dot, which is supposed to be one of the plant based estradiols. At least, that's what I was told.

I am so disgusted with this constant exhaustion and malaise and all the rest of it that I'm feeling desperate. I had never thought I would consider going back on HRT, but....Well, you know the feeling. That "Dear Lord, please let me feel human again" feeling.
  4. MsE

MsE New Member

I'm not positive, but I think it is that certain kind of yam that is such a good estrogen source. I'm not positive about that, so I'll take your advice and do some checking.
  5. MsE

MsE New Member

Bump.

Well, I searched and searched, but couldn't find anything that suggested Vivelle, or any other estrogen source, was good for old ladies like me, so I'm going to forget about it. I'm too darned old to start back on estrogen, but it shows how desperate I've been feeling. Can you tell that today is a "better" day? :)

I do appreciate your input. My thanks to all of you.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/02/2006]

Regarding second "edit": The first "bump" didn't work, so I'm trying again.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/02/2006]
  6. MsE

MsE New Member

Bump. Saw my doc today, a very understanding and supportive guy. I asked him about estrogen and seventy-one year old women. He said under the circumstances, he'd give it a try. Said to go back to the Vivelle Dot and see what happened. If I feel better, he says, it's worth it. So I will.