One more shot! What skincare can MCS sufferers here use? rop

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shelbo, Jun 9, 2011.

1. shelbo

shelbo New Member

I'm getting desperate as I have a facial skin condition called Rosacea together with ocular rosacea which makes my facial skin and eyes extremely dry and sensitive... This skin condition means my eyes and face need special care... Cleansing and moisturising are very important or my eyes and face become incredibly raw and dry (and, oddly I get symptoms which mimic a MCS reaction!) I did have a cleanser I could use to cleanse my eyes and face and a moisturiser which I could use on my face but they were discontinued. While I have a tiny quantity of each left I have no replacements as yet... As you can imagine, I am a nervous wreck... Any new skincare item I try on my eyes face to cleanse or moisturise results in severe all-over intense body itching (very deep and the location of the itch can move all over my body from moment to second my leg is affected, seconds later my back, then my tummy a few seconds later...and on and on it goes... Then I get a severe migraine, extreme eye pain, nausea, racing heart, breathlessness, increased fatigue, fever, muscle and joint pain...the works and these symptoms are on top of the relentless itching!
    Please, can I reach out one more time and ask what you MCS / those with severe chemical sensitivity use to cleanse their face and eyes and to moisturise their face? I am becoming increasingly anxious as my tolerable skincare diminishes...and that is also worsening my symptoms...
    I would really appreciate any recs (I've asked before but none of the recs have worked so far)... I am sure there must be chemical sensitivity sufferers on here with sensitive complexions/ eyes who can share with me? I really need help/ product recs... I have tried plain oils and they irritate my eyes badly and oddly make my facial skin even drier... I can't seem to use anything and yet that is not an option :( Even natural things cause a severe reaction...
    I am terrified...please help! I am scared of what will happen if I use stuff that makes me sick but my skin can literally crack with dryness and get red raw if I cannot moisturise...Thanks..
    Ps... Any meds that help with awful chemical sensitivity reactions and the wide spectrum of severe symptoms a reaction provokes? Without the side-effects of weight gain and dry eyes if possible...? I am really trying to avoid weight gain as it's another implication for poorer health and I'm still struggling to lose the weight I gained when my dad passed almost years ago...
    Thanks for understanding and I appreciate any recs/ advice... :)
  2. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I have MCS and very dry, sensitive skin. The only face cream I use is Merle Norman Moisture Emulsion. It comes in a tube, costs about $18.00, but you only use a little dab. It lasts a long time and is a wonderful product. I've used it for over 20 years. I use it to moisturize, but cleanse my face with Dove Sensitive Skin Soap.

Try it once and see if you like it. It can't be purchased online but you'll find the stores listed online or in the phone book. I believe I mentioned this before but it might have been someone else's question. GB66
    [This Message was Edited on 06/10/2011]
  3. sick~kitty

sick~kitty New Member

I use the Paula's Choice line. There are some recommendations for rosacea on her site - You can order sample sizes of all of her products. The company is very careful to avoid skin-irritating ingredients and the product line is heavy on anti-oxidants, and fragrance-free. My skin seems to thrive on this regime - anthing else only produced slight improvements. I do also use an Rx metronidazole gel.

I don't have extreme MCS, but it's not mild either.
  4. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi shelbo,

I only use water to wash my face. The way I moisturize is from the inside out. I take lots of high quality fish oil and evening primrose oil.

I hope you can find a solution that works for you.
  5. Scapper

Scapper New Member

Hi Shelbo -- I'm SO sorry you're suffering!!!!

I don't have the same issues w/ my skin, but, my dermatologist recommends "Cetaphil." I have some severe issues w/ some "unmentionable parts" (eeks) and cannot use soap, etc. and my doc recommended Cetaphil body cleanser (it helps).

I also use Cetaphil body moisterizer as well.

Can you tolerate moisterizing w/ Vitamin E or Olive oil?

As far a "cleansing" I would try the Cetaphil, if this is available to you.

No chemicals.

Nothing when you "google"?

I've never found a medication to help w/ my MCS......sorry on that one.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

6. ILoveGreen

ILoveGreen New Member

Have you tried Clairins (of France)? It's available @ fine dept stores. It's a great product line, but quite expensive. There is also Kiehl's, which has been around since the 1800's. They have a website or you can google them.

On the other end of the $ spectrum are organics. Someone else suggested coconut oil; I've used pure, raw shea butter (it comes in bulk chunks) and melts as you massage it into your skin. Good luck!
  7. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Oh, I thought of something else.
    Sometimes I do wash my face with Burt's Bees milk and shea butter soap.
    Years ago I used to use L'Occitane's shea butter soap on my hands.