One of your Favorite sayings?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sisland, Jan 5, 2008.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

This came about by Elaine exsplaining what it means "To be in a Pickle"!,,,,,,,or a predecament,,(sp) that requires Help to get out of!

My dad use to tell me all the time that "Things Change as much as they stay the same",,,,,,

I think of this often as i'm getting older! The Morals are so different today than when we were raised,,,,Anyway just something interesting to think about,,,,,,,,,,Do you have a Favorite saying?
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

heard of some goofy behavior, often by a government body, she would shake her head and say, "Reason totters."

Her response to minor irritations was, "Such is life."

3. sisland

sisland New Member

Sorry my Kids showed up and surprised me and we went out for Breakfast! But now i'm back!,,,,,Thanks for your contriutations!,,,,,,,,,,,,Elaine i love what your Dad said about the top bannana!

Terch,,,,The Elbow stops here! is a kool one too! Your Mom sounds like someone i would get along with too!,,,,,"The Train Stops here" is also another one i remember my Dad saying,,,,probabaly Means the same as the Elbow!

Georgia,,,,Thats a new one! i like it!,,,,,some other ones i have heard are "you can't call the Kettle black" Meaning don't judge others until you've walked a mile in their shoes!,,,,,And the Famous "What goes around comes around",,,,,,,,,,,,,,Love that one!,,,,,,,,Rock,,,,"Reason Totters" is a Good no Brainer saying right?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"Such is life" is a classic Too!

Does anyone remember the one "Welcome to the real world?"I've used that one on my kids alot!,,,,,Lolol
    [This Message was Edited on 01/06/2008]
  4. laceymae

laceymae New Member

"You've drove your ducks to bad water"

Meaning "You've really messed up this time"

Seems to be one of my Mom's favorites, I heard it enough growing up.

love to all, lacey
  5. joyfully

joyfully New Member

My Grandpa used to say, "It's too late to shut the barn door after the horses are out".

Which meant that you started doing the right thing a little too late. That there are consequences to you actions that need to be resolved.
  6. woofmom

woofmom New Member

This ain't my first rodeo, Cowboy.
  7. sisland

sisland New Member

Kool Sayings! Thanks for your contributations! Jam i love the "one day at a time" one! "progress Not prefection" is a Great one too!,,,,,Lacey Yep I have heard the "You've really Messed it up this time tooo!"

Lindy~~~The classics are always there aren't they! "When the Moon turns Blue" reminds me of "When H*** Freezes over" one,,,,,Lolol!

Woofmom~~~Love the Rodeo one! Also "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink",,,,Joy thats the Northern air speaking!
    [This Message was Edited on 01/06/2008]
  8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

but I can't remember it! Something about dancing when no one is watching... how sad am I? LOL

But I do have another one.

If nothing changes, nothing changes.
    Meaning, if you do nothing to make a change, then well,
    nothing changes.

Another one I've lived with my whole life that I learned from my Dad:
    Expect the best, prepare for the worst. I have lived that way since I was first out on my own. Its amazing what it does when you truly do that. It breeds optimism, yet makes examine the possible consequences of your actions before you make them. It's been very powerful.
  9. sisland

sisland New Member

Yes the "I Only have two Hands" was a favorite of my Mom's!,,,,,And she was right! although her life would have been much easier if she would have let us help her do stuff,,,,,,,,,,She was a Perfectionist,,,,,although We loved her dearly no matter what of course!

We seem to have somewhat of a Horse theme going on!,,,,"Bleep you and the Horse you Road in On" Does anyone remember that?? I need to stop Swearing!!

Jana~~~I Remember reading a poem or something that said the "Dance like no one is Watching" i'll try to find it for us!,,,,,,,Ahhh! yes i have always Exspected the worse over the years and still do some days! but have learned to just see how it will all work out! A very good saying!!

Elaine ~~I also love the "Get your Ducks in a Row one" ,,,,,,It's Something i Heard many times growing up!,,,,,Funny how our Family Members forget our limitations huh!,,,,,,,

I think in our well lives {if there was one!},,,,,That we were all Multitaskers and so people exspect that anyway!,,,,,,,,,,,,Sis
    [This Message was Edited on 01/07/2008]
  10. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

As I see one of my adult kids do something I don't like or approve of:

11. woofmom

woofmom New Member

From my ex mother in law: "Misery loves company"
  12. sisland

sisland New Member

Yep~~~i can relate to the "I did the best i could under the Circumstances " We are all livivg prof of that one!

Georgia~~~~i love the None of my buisness one too!

DW~~~i Have a child that will try and wiggle out of the "Me? I wouldn't have done a thing like that!" Too!,,Not odd! it just keeps them from getting into trouble right?

Woofmom~~~Lol! My Ex Mil was Miserable! all the time!So thats very fitting!,,,,,Never had my company very often!

Ok~~~~i Thought of some more

"We only have one life to live so lets make the best of it"
    "We Are Burnin' Daylight" I saw that on a semi truck bug catcher one day!
    "Hold your Head up High and be proud of who you are"

Another one of my Dad's "Now thats a Horse of a Different Color",,,I'm guessing this means that something is out of the ordinary,,,,(not a Racist remark by any means)!

"You can attrack more Bees with honey than with Viniger"

"You can Please Some of the People some of the time ,,,But you can Never please All of the people All of the time"
  13. woofmom

woofmom New Member

The truth ain't always pretty, but, it's always the truth.
  14. victoria

victoria New Member

"Don't let reality spoil your dreams!" . . .

This is backed up by a quote from Albert Einstein, LOL:
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a persistent one."

and --I keep meaning to remember this next one especially for a just-right time in a heated conversation LOL:

15. Catseye

Catseye Member

Since I'm in Spanish-speaking land, I had to have a Spanish saying, so my favorite is:

Me importa un pepino.

It translates to "I don't give a cucumber".

I say it in Spanish, then think of what it means in English and I end up dying laughing and getting stared at.

You can't really say "me import una mierda" in Spanish and expect it to translate from "I don't give a s***", it has to be pepino.

16. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I have said for years when something aggrevating happens, "
    That would make a preacher cuss!" Don't know when I first heard ir.

"Burning the candle at both ends" when I do way, way too much, even years ago.

I know several more but------my mind just went blank.

Just thought of my favorite from my DIL. She has this on an ink stamp that always goes on the back of letters. I just ordered one.

"Life is Fragile, Handle with Prayer."

These are great.
    Gentle Hugs,

17. kholmes

kholmes New Member

My favorite saying is

"There is nothing that cannot happen today."

--Mark Twain

Hope you are doing well!

18. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

It's not "expect the worse"
    Expect the best, prepare for the worst.

Now I'm all screwed up LOL
    Be optimistic, but realistic - prepare yourself.
    My father, like Elaine's is my 'wisdom well'. I have been blessed with wonderful parents who love unconditionally and have been great examples my whole life (and still are thankfully)
  19. woofmom

woofmom New Member

A friend, when opening the newspaper always said: "Gotta' check the obituaries to make sure I'm not wasting my time"
  20. sisland

sisland New Member

For your contributations! Sorry i've been Nauseated(sp) for the last 24 hours!,,,,Good excuse huh!,,,,It's true though! Oh Well! it's better now so here i am!

May i say that we must have been raised in an Era that The everyday lingo included these little sayings!,,like Jana said,,My Dad and Mom and Aunt's and Uncles were always poping these out!,,,,,,& i love them!

some of My Mom's favourite's "What is the World comming to?",,,,,&,,,"If i've told you once i've told you a Million times" Take your Boots/shoes off at the Door!,,,,,,

My oldest Brother however would purposely wear his Muddy Boots in on the newly cleaned floors!,,,,again Thanks for your replies!,,,,,,Hugs!===Sis