One way XMRV is spread?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ulala, Oct 19, 2009.

1. ulala

ulala New Member

This is the last line in this abstract:

Furthermore, XMRV RNA was detected in prostatic secretions of some men with prostate cancer. The fact that the precursor of SEVI is produced in abundance by the prostate indicates that XMRV replication occurs in an environment that provides a natural enhancer of viral infection and this may play a role in the spread of this virus in the human population.

If you read the abstract this is the definition of amyloidogenic:

Amyloids are insoluble fibrous protein aggregates sharing specific structural traits. Abnormal accumulation of amyloid in organs may lead to amyloidosis, and may play a role in various other neurodegenerative diseases.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/20/2009]
  2. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I think this is very likely one way some people have become infected. Bummer. Thanks for the definition of Amyloidogenic, that was helpful.

3. ulala

ulala New Member

for the "thank you."

If this is true it certainly is going to get interesting as far as who we had sex with and who we're going to have sex with. Are the men the "spreaders." This will open up many doors (some doors that people don't want opened).
  4. waca

waca New Member

If ME/CFS is in fact an STD, which unless I'm misreading is what you're saying here, then I guess I'm misdiagnosed as I'm a virgin.
  5. ulala

ulala New Member

said XMRV can be transmitted through body fluids, or from mother-to-child. So far, being a virgin does not preclude one from this disease.

Additionally my post reads "one way" xmrv is spread? I didn't say it was a sexually transmitted disease. I posted a link to a documented scientific article written by:

Seunghee Hong, Eric A. Klein, Jaydip Das Gupta, Kirsten Hanke, Christopher J. Weight, Carvell Nguyen, Christina Gaughan, Kyeong-Ae Kim, Norbert Bannert, Frank Kirchhoff, Jan Munch, and Robert H. Silverman*

Department of Cancer Biology, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195; Graduate Program in Molecular Virology, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106; Glickman Urological and Kidney Institute and Taussig Cancer Center, Cleveland Clinic, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195; Robert Koch-Institute, Centre for Biological Safety 4, Nordufer 20, 13353 Berlin, Germany; Institute of Virology, University Clinic of Ulm, Albert-Einstein-Allee 11, 89081 Ulm, Germany

[This Message was Edited on 10/19/2009]
  6. Danielle

Danielle New Member

They also think this can be transmited in breastmilk or possibly from mother to child in the womb I believe. I remember hearing about chronic fatigue on the news in 1985 I think it was. My son was 3 years old. I did not have symptoms at the time but I worry about him getting this. I never really felt very healthy during my 20's and after a highly stressful time I got full blown symptoms at 37.

7. GFK

GFK New Member

The study you are referring to was exclusively concerned with Prostate tissue. The CFS paper by WPI reveals infection of T and B Cells by XMRV. This is a completely different matter. It's perfectly possible that XMRV may be transmitted by sexual fluids of all kinds - not just male ones - but we have no definite evidence at present. There is no point in worrying about quotes from the Prostate study as this has no bearing on the WPI data. The advice given on the WPI website regarding possible transmission is as good advice as can be given at present. A bit of sensible caution but no panic....
  8. waca

waca New Member

for clearing that up. I misread what you wrote.
  9. ulala

ulala New Member

I realize that the study that I referred to was about prostate cancer and I respectfully disagree that this study has no bearing on the WPI study. The prostate study details ONE way that XMRV can be transmitted and that's what I stated in my original post. I'm not trying to panic anyone. I'm just sharing this information.

Best wishes.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/20/2009]
  10. GFK

GFK New Member

There's a world of a difference between XMRV infecting prostate tissue and XMRV infecting immune cells, as it does in XAND ( and I actually mean that in a positive way ! ). The prostate study does of course have some bearing as it concerns XMRV and you're very likely to be correct about sexual transmission of some kind. I'm "splitting hairs" as they say !
    You're quite correct in passing on info - it's better to have it than not. I just hope no-one becomes too concerned about other studies that really might not have too much relevance. It's all a bit difficult because there is so little known about XMRV at all.
    P.S. I think my previous post was another classic lesson in "not posting when your brain is fogged".....[This Message was Edited on 10/20/2009]
  11. jole

jole Member

(Which is very easy for me) But in my family background, there are no signs of prostate problems OR CFS. Does this say it may go for a long time and then someone with just the "right" genetic code will get it? Or right immune system? I've been sick since childhood, with a full-blown attack 7 years ago. There are symptoms, however, in two of my five children. But none in my 7 brothers and sisters. It just seems very strange and I really don't understand all this.
  12. Achyten

Achyten New Member

My husband had two brothers die just about the same time,, from prostate cancer,

He got checked himself, right after Leonard and Norman passed away. But thats the only time he was checked,, and it's been like 8 yrs ago since.

So, unless he goes to get checked here soon, I"m going to be worried with good cause, I figure. I must get him in to see the doctor,,he's like a child when it comes to the doctors.
    I have to take him there! What a woose he is! I don't know if this is a man thing or not,,but he's always been like that. It wasn't long ago,, he got so sick with a temp of 105, and would not go the hospital.

So, yes, I"m scared, and worried too. Maybe i'm reading too much into this,but its better to be safe, then sorry,,, right?
  13. ulala

ulala New Member

should get checked. It seems that not going to the doctor is definitely a "man thing" and also a "doctor thing." I know of several doctors who were so busy taking care of themselves that they didn't "have time" to see a doctor. Unfortunatley, they're both dead now, one from lung cancer and one from skin cancer. The prostate is in a "touchy" area that I think most men don't want touched.

Good luck! Hopefully he's just fine!