Online Petition

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ForeverFlaring, May 7, 2003.

1. ForeverFlaring

ForeverFlaring New Member

Hi all.

I found a great site that hosts petitions for free. We can all sign an online petition for Awareness day and pass this along to other sites to do as well. The only problem is the petition will have a specific web address that I cannot post here. Would it be against rules to put the web address in my profile?
  2. ForeverFlaring

Bumping this...either board is moving fast or no interest..
  3. scottabir

scottabir New Member

the best way to get the word out is to b e relentless. as soon as people think we have given up we hit these people with more...

abi
  4. ForeverFlaring

How are petitions delivered?

At PetitionOnline.com, our policy is that delivery of petitions is at the discretion and by the hand of the petition authors, rather than us, the hosting service.

Petitions can be delivered electronically, simply by emailing the petition URL with a note of explanation to the petition recipient. Or the petition pages can be printed and delivered physically. For maximum impact with a successful petition, we recommend doing both.

Again, at the discretion of the petition authors, petitions can be delivered repeatedly as they gather more signatures. In general, we would recommend against this -- since the first delivery will have the most impact, it is probably better in most cases to wait until a maximum level of support has been recorded. In the case of an urgent issue, there may be a stronger argument for delivering early, and then delivering again later when more support has been demonstrated.

Because of the power of the press in spreading the word, perhaps a very effective strategy would be to send the petition URL relatively early to various appropriate media, with a note of explanation that the petition is still very much in progress. This could bring it more into the public eye, and begin to influence public officials (or other intended recipients), without diluting the impact of the actual petition delivery to them later on. The final delivery to the petition target could then wait until an overwhelming response has been received.

Assistance in printing petitions for delivery may be provided to petition authors on a fee for services basis. Please contact PetitionOnline Customer Service for more information.

How are petition signatures validated?

Unlike the various flaky email petitions that periodically wander around the Internet, with PetitionOnline there is exactly one authoritative master copy of your petition. Each signature and email address (always required, but optionally confidential) is logged for possible explicit or statistical validation. Duplicate signatures are automatically rejected, and each person who signs is automatically sent a confirming email message.

Validation is a somewhat separate issue from delivery. Delivery will only include the email addresses of petition signers who have made their address public ally available. (A petition could be set up so that public email addresses are required, but it would be likely to get far fewer signers.)

If deeper validation of a petition is really called for, PetitionOnline.com has the technical ability to perform a statistical validation by contacting a sampling of signers directly via the email addresses we have privately archived. This kind of more serious validation is not included in our free petition hosting offer, but can be arranged on a cost-contract basis (see below).

Ensuring identity without invading privacy is quite a challenge. We don't see that a perfect solution is currently available, given that there is not yet any widespread foolproof system for establishing online identity. An email address is not enough to establish identity by itself, but it is substantially more than just a name, and it provides a link back to a person for (the potential of) confirming identity.

How can people find my petition here?

The petition traffic is based on how the petition authors (you) link to the petition -- not on the cross-talk between petitions, or the link from the PetitionOnline.com directory pages.

Once your petition is actually live here on the web, we recommend you put some energy into spreading the word. The concept is simple: the more people you can send to read your petition, the more people will sign it and thus contribute to your cause.

In addition to promoting your petition on your own web pages, ideas for encouraging visitors to your petition include e-mailing a petition announcement to your friends and sympathizers, submitting your petition page to major search engines, promoting the petition in appropriate news groups and online forums, and getting as many good incoming links connected to your petition as possible. Consider contacting the traditional media press as well, locally or nationally, as appropriate.

To support your primary petition promotion efforts, each person who signs your petition will automatically receive an email message from us to confirm their signature, which also suggests that they take a moment to tell a few friends about your petition.

Note, however, that in helping to promote this petition you are expressly prohibited from sending unsolicited bulk mail messages ("junk mail" or "spam"), and from engaging in any form of online harassment. This includes, but is not limited to, bulk-mailing of commercial advertising, information announcements, and political tracts. Such material may only be sent to those who have specifically requested it. Actions to enforce these good citizenship policies may include petition cancellations.

If your petition is a good one, with support among visitors, lots of traffic will lead to lots of signatures. And that's the whole point!

5. 1SickChik

1SickChik New Member

a little confusing.......so where do i sign? Thanks in advance!!
  6. ForeverFlaring

it isnt there yet because I wanted to see if I could drum up enough interest in this.
  7. 1SickChik

1SickChik New Member

Many thanks in advance!!
  8. goingslowlycrazy

goingslowlycrazy New Member

....it sounds like a great idea!
    hugs
    Mary x
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have been making exceptions for advocacy for our illnesses, so it's OK to post the URL. This is the most active we have been for Awareness Day and I am hoping it will pay off.

Love, Mikie
  10. tansy

tansy New Member

An online petition is a great idea. Malysa came up with two other sites too. We should get involved in them all.

Cheers

Tansy
  11. 1SickChik

1SickChik New Member

let me know when the petiton is available.....many thanks!!

Chik
  12. ForeverFlaring

At this point until we can get a bit more feedback, the petition is a no-go. Only a handful of people have expressed a desire to sign it, and honestly to get this thing going for just a handful of people is not worth the energy expended. :(
  13. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

It'll get goin' once it's set up - just like the bio's did.

We're with you foreverflaring.
  14. lynnkat

lynnkat New Member

I signed a petition for fibro awareness day in my neck of the woods so I would be interested in this one also. We need to be a bunch of squeaky wheels so someone will notice us and listen and learn about this nasty disease. Let me know where to put my signature. :) lynnkat
  15. starstella

starstella New Member

sounds good to me. if its a simple process, you should get lots of support.
  16. KristyW

KristyW New Member

Sounds good to me!

KristyW