Opala, and Pam D

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pands45, Dec 10, 2002.

1. pands45

pands45 New Member

Just wanted to say thanks for your responses. One doc. told me to stop taking Zoloft when I get preg., and we will figure something out, and the other one that is helping me get preg. is telling me that zoloft is ok to be on throughout preg. Here is another question for you and anyone that can help. What would you do if you were in my postion? I am afraid that I will be in real bad shape if I stop meds. altogther.
    I am new here. Thanks!
  2. pands45

pands45 New Member

Just wanted to say thanks for your responses. One doc. told me to stop taking Zoloft when I get preg., and we will figure something out, and the other one that is helping me get preg. is telling me that zoloft is ok to be on throughout preg. Here is another question for you and anyone that can help. What would you do if you were in my postion? I am afraid that I will be in real bad shape if I stop meds. altogther.
    I am new here. Thanks!
  3. opala

opala New Member

in your position, I would talk things over with my husband, and I think I would get another opinion from a third doc. Then I would go with "majority rules".

I understand what you are going through. I would like to have children, but my husband and I are concerned about how my condition might affect pregnancy and caring for the child after it was born. So I know what a difficult decision this is. Just know that no one else can make this decision for you, and having a baby is a big responsibility.

4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I know it must be confusing when one doctor tells you one thing, and another one tells you something else!! You may need to do more detective work on your own, researching zoloft's effects on a developing fetus, and as Opala said, you may need a 3rd or even 4th opinion. I think I told you about my good friend who had two successful pregnancies while on lupus drugs. She had her lupus doctor work very closely with her obstetrician--they conferred on everything--and she took less or even stopped some drugs that would've been harmful for the fetus, but temporarily increased some drugs that didn't cross the placenta, to counteract this--so she could have a safe pregnancy, but not be so miserable herself. I believe if you want a child, you can do this with FM, by your doctors working as a team. By the way, lupus is indeed different from FM/CFS, but not only did my friend have two healthy kids, now ages 9 and 4, but she didn't have a major flare after childbirth as some predicted; children have agreed with her body, and she's now on the lowest dose of meds since being dx 14 years ago!! Do as much research as you can, become as "med smart" as you can, and encourage your docs to work as a team! Good luck--let us know how it goes!

Hugs,
    Pam