OPERATION CHRISTMAS CHILD

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by EgyptStarr, Dec 15, 2005.

1. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

I have received some (I consider) wonderful information about a place that is organizing a HUGELY giving.... um.... thing..... lol (FOG!) that I think many people here may be interested in doing.

There is a Christian organization that is trying to get 8,000,000 people to put together "Shoebox gifts" for 8,000,000 children in other countries who won't have much, if anything, to celebrate.

Last year, they sent boxes to Sudan, and this year, it is for the Tsunami victims in Asia.

All it is, is......
    Get a shoebox (the bigger the better, obviously), decorate it (top and bottom SEPERATELY, then use just a little tape to hold them together when finished), and put things in it like a small toy, toothbrush, toothpaste, crayons and a small coloring book, pencils or other school supplies (if you wish it to go to a school-age child), gloves and winter hat, hairbrush or comb, etc. etc. They also recommend a Christmas card and maybe even a picture of yourself/your family so the child has a face(s) to relate the gift to!

Please include $5, if you will, just to help the organization cover the cost of shipping.

I am doing this, and I think it's for a fabulous cause!!!

I cannot post a mailing or email address since it's not allowed, and I don't want to come across as sounding like a "commercial" or anything. I just thought that this was such a wonderful thing that I know I'm going to feel GOOD about participating in, and I thought that some of you here MIGHT be interested, too, IF you are financially able to help.

You may get all necessary additional info (address, etc.) by doing a google search and typing in "Samaritans Purse" or "Operation Christmas Child".

Hugs!
    Starr
    [This Message was Edited on 12/16/2005]
  2. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

Starr,
    this was about to roll over to the 2nd page.
    hugs,
  3. mamadukes

mamadukes New Member

We collected over 600 boxes this year. It may be a little late in the season to get the boxes out this year. We sent them in November. They are sent all over the world, to many many different countries. Do not wrap the package closed! wrap the top and bottom separately because each box is gone through to make sure there is nothing breakable, no "war" toys like guns, etc, and I believe some extra stuff may be put in boxes too. Also, they ask you include $5 to cover the cost of shipping.

If we are allowed to post it, this organization has a great web site.
    The organization is "samaritan's purse" and the shoe box ministry is "operation Christmas Child."[This Message was Edited on 12/16/2005]
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The rules state explicitly that the board may not be used for soliciting for any cuase. It is always a good idea to e-mail TechSupport@ProHealth.com before posting it here if there is any question about its complying with the rules.

Think about it--if one solicitation were allowed, the board would be inundated with requests and not all of them would be legit. We had one member who solicited, and received, thousands of dollars here and on other boards. It was a complete scam. This is why there are rules regulating soliciting.

Even though your cause sounds wonderful, not everyone is so honest and caring. Scammers know how to use their personae to make their scams sound legit too. Not everyone is who he or she pretends to be online.

I encourage everyone to read the board rules to which we all agreed to abide when we joined this board.

Love, Mikie
  5. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

For anyone wanting to do this, just do a google search for "Samaritan's Purse" or "Operation Christmas Child" and follow the links to the web site. The address and lots of other info can be found there.

This is not an organization that I read about online. This organization was on a nationwide news show yesterday (they were talking to one of the people running it). It is absolutely legit.

I know it seems very late in the year to be doing this, but I just saw this on the news yesterday evening, and the guy was telling what all we should put in the box, where to send it, etc., so there must still be time..... I am going to get the stuff, put it all together and send it today!

THANK YOU, MAMADUKES, for the additional information on closing the boxes and including shipping charges! I must have missed those details........

Merry Christmas, Everyone!!!

Hugs!
    Starr
  6. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Our church does this every year, some of the school clubs do this too. It is a very worthwhile cause.
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

Churches in our town participated in this and we had advertised in our local paper about various drop off points; however, the deadline date has expired - in order to get these shoebox gifts to these areas by Christmas.

I have not read any info on the net about it, though.

Would the web address be prohibited here? I thought it was only sites that competed with ProHealth?????

and ... I made up a shoebox to donate. Good cause!
  8. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

Yes, I know it seems too late to be doing this, but I just saw this on the news 2 nights ago! And the guy was telling what all we should put in the box, where to send it, etc., so there must still be time..... The guy was basically asking for more people to fill and send the boxes.....

I bought the stuff and put it all together last night, decorated it, etc.
    I am going later this morning to get it shipped via UPS.

I figure, WORST case scenario, if it's "too late" and my box doesn't get shipped to a child this year, either the organization will send my box back to me, OR, more likely, they will save it for next year's run??? Either way, it won't go to waste, because I filled my box with stuff appropriate for a 3-yr-old girl, and I HAVE a 3-yr-old daughter! lol

Hugs!
    Starr