Opinion on why Benzos stop working..........??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by caroleye, Apr 18, 2006.

1. caroleye

caroleye New Member

After finding out I was GABA deficient and began neurofeedback to help that, my sleeping meds stopped working. Benzos feed GABA. Wondering if when we take them so often if our brain just shuts down to accepting it.

That's why when we switch meds, or stop for a few days they "may" start working for awhile again.

Just something that popped into my p-brain as I lay wide awake after taking some GABA supplements!!

Like to hear your opinions.

LIGHT***********carole
  2. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

Check this site out, it's the most comprehensive site on benzo's I've found:

http://benzo.org.uk/manual/index.htm
  3. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

The mechanism by which most benozos work leads to tolerance developing.

With flexeril, it usually reached the point where tolerance is at the point where one must omit it for 30 days in order for the tolerance recognition to disappear and then one can go back on it.

Benzos are old drugs, but many benefit from them.

i took Flexeril for a long time but switched to Zanaflex because I had way too much grogginess from the Flex.
  4. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I haven't found I need to increase the dose at all. I take it for FMS and to relax my muscles. I take .5 mg. 3 x a day and usually it is 12 hours from my night time dose to my next morning dose and I'm okay.

I'm sure I'm dependent on it, but I haven't needed more and more of it, I don't feel.

I guess I'm just lucky with this med.

The only supplements I take right now are from Pro Health Store and it is CoQ10 and B-12 sublingual. My endocrinologist's nurse said she knew of people who had great experiences from using CoQ10. Sorry, I got off topic on here...

Hugs,
    Faye
  5. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I really haven't given the GABA supplements enough time, or taken a big enough dose. So don't know what the effects will be with them over time.

I am going to try to boost my serotonin as I know it's the key to "deep" sleep, and obviously I haven't had that for years.

I'm also going to have neurofeedback for that neurotransmitter. Would be great not to have to mess with sleep meds......& still not get the sleep needed.

Thanks for all the info..

LIGHT**********************carole