Opinions of Yoga For Fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TxSongBird, May 11, 2006.

1. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

I would like to hear from those of you who have used Yoga video tapes for gentle stretching and breathing. I think I might be able to find Yoga relaxing and it might help me relax the tight muscles in my body due to the Fibro. Any suggestions on tapes would be greatly appreciated.

TxSongBird
  2. kjfms

kjfms Member

I think yoga is very good for FMS (my opinion). I try to do yoga type stretching every day.

I feel better when I do, sure it hurts, but for me it hurts worse when I am not at least little active.

Before anyone says anything....I am just expressing my own opinion (how it works for me) and not speaking of how anyone else may or should feel.

Good luck with the yoga if you try it, just remember not to over do it, just take is slow.

Thanks,

Karen :)
  3. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

Now do you have any suggestions on any VHS tapes that I might try for Yoga that would be go for stretching?

Thanks,

TxSongBird
  4. twerp

twerp New Member

and a DVD called "Yoga for Healing" by Sarah Bates has been recommended to me.

So far, I haven't purchased it, but plan to do so.

Don't know if it is available on tape or not; I've just found it on DVD when I googled it.

Hugs,
    Twerp
  5. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I have recently started practicing Yoga. I go to classes in my community. The atmosphere is very condusive to relaxation.

I only take the most mild classes - stretching, restorative, and meditation.

I don't push myself too hard and I have informed the instructors so they guide me to keep me from over doing it.

I do find it helpful. It calms me.

I have a very hard time with exercise normally. I take short walks just around my block just to be doing something but even that really hurts my back and induces bad restless legs.

I think it's worth a try but remember that there are many forms of yoga so don't give up if the first one isn't working out. Just look for the absolute lowest impact class you can find.

Hope this helps!

Sofi
  6. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

I will look into classes, I am not very flexible, I am rather clumbsy and I am a large person so I didn't know how I would fit in a group of people that were more able than me.

TxSongBird
  7. kjfms

kjfms Member

Sorry I don't have any names for you. I just use different shows on TV. You might check you listings and be able to find some and you could tape them for free.

FitTV, one of the Discovery channels, has some yoga show and PBS has one called Wai Lana Yoga here is the link to check your local listings for when it is on or you can call your local PBS station.

I am sorry I took so long to get back to you, I am studying today so I am just poping in and out here.

http://www.wailana.com/yoga/tvseries/

Good luck,

Karen
  8. ellikers

ellikers New Member

You can do a search on the website for Yoga Journal magazine for any articles on fibromyalgia (I found several on CFIDS and FMS) or look up poses in their "pose finder" section. Look for any that mention benefits that sound good to you.

You can also search online (nearly anywhere) for "restorative yoga" this is the type of yoga that is SUPER gentle, and can have healing and relaxing properties. I have found that type EXTREMELY helpful- it can support my immune system and help me ease my pain.

One example: Lay on the floor near a wall, with your legs up the wall- your body should make as near a 90 degree angle as you can get comfortably. This helps drain your lymph system and has a calming effect on the body. Breathe deeply and you can add a pillow under your head or lower back to get more comfortable. You can also add a heating bag by putting it on areas that are especially painful. I made a "heating bag" by sewing a small bag out of flannel cloth and put a bunch of uncooked brown rice in it nad then sewed up the end. I put it in the microwave for a couple of minutes and it is wonderful for helping ease pain from muscle spasms, and stomach pain etc. You can also add some lavender for adding wonderfullness.

Hope this helps!