Opinions on Paxil CR

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Echos, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Echos

Echos New Member

Hello everyone.
    This doctor that I seen wants to switch me from Wellbutrin SR to Paxil CR. I'm not sure this is what I want to do considering there would be a lot of med changing and stopping going on if I do. Does anyone taking either one have any pros or cons on them? I would like to hear from anyone that is taking or has taken Paxil CR and their opinion on it. Thanks for the help.:)
    Echos
  2. Member

Member New Member

I am currently taking Paxil (don't think its the CR one tho)
    and my doctor told me to stop Wellbutrin which I did about one month ago. I'm not sure if the attacks I've been getting our due to the stoppage of Wellbutrin or weather. I am very sensitive to climate changes. Paxil has worked very well for me with migraines and I think it is also good for FMS and CFS. Hope this helps......Member Pat
  3. Echos

Echos New Member

Hello Sandy.
    Thanks for the info, keep me up to date on it if you would. I don't know why she wants to change it. She did say that she thought fibro and cfs was a bunch of bull. That pretty much was the end of that relationship. She wants to change it because of the God syndrome thing. The Wellbutrin SR has been working great for me. She said that she was also going to take my Klonopin from me. She needs to stop thinking because that ain't happening. I am surprised though that you say you take Paxil CR and Klonopin. She told me I couldn't take them together.
    Let me know how the side effects affect you if you would.
    Thank you Sandy.
    Echos
  4. paula45

paula45 New Member

I'm trying to get adjusted to Paxil CR. I took the 12.5 for two weeks and it didn't help enough. So I've been taking the 25 mg for a few days now and I'm trying REALLY hard because my appetite is OFF and that's a good thing for me right now since I need to lose 15 or 20 lbs after being on Zoloft for a couple of years. I have spells of nervousness and some bouts of "wooziness"; but I'm also trying to taper off large amounts of Vicodin ES, so I'm not really sure which is which. I really hope it works for me since SSRI's seem to be necessary for me. Good luck with getting some good info.
    Paula
  5. karen55

karen55 New Member

to switch from Paxil to Paxil CR. I told him I have had no problems with the Paxil and *if it ain't broke, don't fix it*. LOL
  6. vegansf

vegansf New Member

I was on that combo for about seven years and never have had any doctor question it, and have not found any contraindications through research. In fact, I've been on klonopin for 14 years, and would probably still be having unremitting panic attacks if I wasn't on it. I'd be SO ANGRY if my doctor threatened to take it away!!! I've been on about 8 other anti-depressants with the klonopin, and the no combination has ever been contra-indicated. Your doctor sounds like s/he isn't willing to relate on a non-hierarchical level.
  7. Echos

Echos New Member

Member Pat Writes:
    I am currently taking Paxil (don't think its the CR one tho)
    and my doctor told me to stop Wellbutrin

Hello Pat. Thank you for responding to my post. I was curious when I read it, because you mention some type of attacks and not being sure if its from the Paxil or the cessation of the Wellbutrin. Could you explain what the attacks are like that your having? I am quite nervous about my medication be switched due to my sensitivities to medications. I am hoping when I find a new doctor, that (preferrably a she) will return me back to the Wellbutrin SR. It has been remarkable for me and I have even quit smoking because of it. I admit, I still have bouts of depression, as we all do, but an increase in the Wellbutrin SR would have done the trick. I worry about the side effects that I will more than likely go through on the Paxil. Have you experienced any types of side effects during this month, other than the attacks you described? I hate all of this. I think it was easier when I was fighting cancer. At least then, I knew what I was up against and so did the doctors. Thank you for the info and good luck on the Paxil.
    SWAK's,
    Echos
  8. Echos

Echos New Member

Paula Writes: I'm trying to get adjusted to Paxil CR. I took the 12.5 for two weeks and it didn't help enough. So I've been taking the 25 mg for a few days now

Hello Paula. Were you on another anti-depressant before the Paxil CR? I'm being started on 25mg. per day. I can't remember if she said to take it in the morning or the evening, or if it even matters what time of day I take it. Before I was on Wellbutrin SR, I was on a few different SSRI's with no change in my depression. This concerns me due to the Paxil CR being of the same family as the other's. Is Paxil suppose to cause weight gain, or effect the appetite in some way? Since increasing to 25mg. per day, have you noticed any type of change or difference for yourself? Do you suffer from any anxiety? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I know what I'm about to do. I don't like putting all my trust into the words of a doctor. I need to go straight to the source if you will. Thank you for taking your time to answer my post.
    SWAK's,
    Echos
  9. Echos

Echos New Member

vegansf
    (19)

re:paxil and Klonopin 03/10/03 09:10 PM

I was on that combo for about seven years and never have had any doctor question it, and have not found any contraindications through research.

Hello and thank you. I too don't understand the reasons behind telling me there would be contraindications. I have worked in a doctor's office for years and have never heard of any complaints from patients taking Klonopin and an anti-d. I do though believe this doctor was trying to let me know who was in the driver's seat, by making a move like this. She didn't like that I argued the point as to the legitimacy of fibro and cfs. She also told me she would not continue my medication for my migraines, which are very severe. What she didn't realize is that my Neurologist prescribes me that med, not her. I could only chuckly at her when she said that. I also pointed out to her that if she look in her PDR, she will find nothing to back her up on the harm the she stated taking both would cause me. I really need to find a good doctor. Thanks for your help. You made me feel better about the anti-d and the Klonopin together. For a minute, I thought maybe she knew something that I didn't. Taking my Klonopin away is like kicking me when I'm down. And that's not gonna fly with me.
    SWAK's,
    Echos
  10. Echos

Echos New Member

karen55
    (523)
    My osteo wants me
    to switch from Paxil to Paxil CR. I told him I have had no problems with the Paxil and *if it ain't broke, don't fix it*. LOL

Hello Karen. I like your attitude....lol
    Why would they switch you to the CR? The only difference is the time release of one and not the other. Do you have fms or cfs? Does your Osteo acknowledge this illness? I will give the Paxil 3 weeks only to make a difference, if at that time I see or feel nothing spectacular, it's back to the Wellbutrin SR for me. Thank you Karen.
    Echos

[This Message was Edited on 03/10/2003]
  11. amilyne

amilyne New Member

hi echos .. i used to take paxil(the regular one) i was only on 10 to 20 mg's, i think i used it for about 4 months. i was taking it for being really moody(pmdd) and for a bit of anxiety that i was having...well it worked great and i was so mellow..BUT, that being the keyword..mellow..i was so calm and relaxed that i didnt have any motivation to do anything at all, i wasnt tired just i guess the word would be apathetic..and it actually made me get more headaches(i also have severe headaches,which was dx as occipital neuralgia)which really sucked because i hadnt been having them for awhile before that, and ever since then i have had them more frequently (and that was 3 years ago)..i also took wellbutrin as the stop smoking aide and it caused me really bad anxiety(i only took that for about 3 days).. but if wellbutrin works for you i wouldnt want to change plus i have a friend that took paxil for a bit and it caused her headaches too,and she didnt get headaches ever that much.well good luck with the dictir thing...i know how it is as i cannot find a good doctor either.... oh and i have fms and probable cfs(i think its a thyroid problem though,but my tsh tests have been normal)
    --ami
    p.s. i have also tried all the othe ssri's and i havnt liked any of them..celexa made me anxious,i didnt much like prozac, zoloft i took for about 6 months and was up to 150mg and i dont think it did ANYTHING at all,tradzadone(ssri i think) i was taking for sleep for about 3 months and i was up to 150mg of that too and it made me just dazed the next day........

and of the triciclics i took amitryptyline and that gave me panic attacks on only 10 mg and a few years before that i took them for my headaches and was at 50 mg(no anxiety then) and i had such a dry mouth i couldnt even close it to take a sip of water lol, desipramine gave me horrible anxiety(only took that one for 4 days lol)i was given nortriptyline and just said i think ive had enough :) lol....so you see ive pretty much been through them all lol..i always took them for my headaches and pmdd..well i guess ill shut-up now that ive written you my whole treatment novel...he he he :)
    --ami
    [This Message was Edited on 03/10/2003]
  12. Echos

Echos New Member

Hi Amilyne.
    Thanks for responding to my post. I started the Paxil CR today, and it started out okay, but by mid day I was done for. I couldn't keep my eyes open and my stomach is so nauseated. I feel kinda dazed and confused, outside of the normal dazed and confused. I do hope that it don't cause my migraines to become more severe than they already are. My hips have been in pain all day, but I not sure if that's the cfs or the Paxil. You've been on them all it looks like. I've been tossed around to a few of them myself, but still like the Wellbutrin SR. I do know that if this feeling continues, then the Paxil won't.
    SWAK's,
    Echos
  13. paula45

paula45 New Member

Echos--

I was on Zoloft. I've been on one antidepressant or another for about 20 years, Zoloft lately. I'm doing Ok on the Paxil CR so far. Saw PCP today and they think it's unusual that my appetite is off, but people are different. Maybe it causes weight gain in most, but not me so far. I'm hurting really bad right now, so making this short. Give it some time. It's taking me a while to adjust.
    Hugs
    Paula
  14. Echos

Echos New Member

Hi Paula.

I don't know if I can hang in there with the Paxil CR. Started it today and I am so sick to my stomach. I can't hold anything down, so I haven't eaten. My stomach is sooooooo sick.
    Echos