Opinions on prayer

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by lvjesus, Aug 25, 2008.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I would be interested to see what your thoughts are on praying without ceasing. I am praying for my dog to be healed of cancer and Saturday I had a long talk with the Lord about it. He directed me to 2 passages of scripture, the first being, "you shall lay hands on the sick, and the sick will recover" and then I heard Him saying that it DOES NOT say sick PEOPLE. The second was the passage where it says that 2 are better than one because they can hold each other up and a "chord of three is not easily broken". So after I got home, my husband, daughter and I laid hands on her and prayed.

Here is where the question comes in. I was thinking about it this morning and how I have not felt the urge or urgency to pray for her any more. I feel complete peace about the situation and honestly don't feel like more prayer is needed. I am not saying that it will hurt to do more, just that I don't feel the urgency like I did before.

So that lead me to thinking not only about the bible saying that you are to knock and keep on knocking, but other passages that say "ask and it shall be done" and "cast your cares on Him because He cares for you". I feel like I HAVE cast this care on Him and like many times that I have felt the Lord's peace about things, I feel like it is taken care of and I have no need to take it back up.

I would love some feedback. Thanks, and God Bless, Sonya
  2. caffey

caffey New Member

Hi there: I agree with what you said. When we pray we need to ask God how to pray into some situations. Sometimes I may pray for a while about something, or just once and you know it is done. With healing there are so many variables you just need to know what God is saying. Sounds like you are on the right path. Just remember to keep all Scripture in context. Don't know if that helps you or not.
    Blesssings
    Cath
  3. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Cath, I am not sure what you are thinking about when you say to keep all scripture in context, but as for the "ask and it shall be done" and "cast your cares", those I did not "pull" to support my "theory" or convince me, it is just how I feel. I know a lot of times people will use various bits and pieces of scripture to shore up their position. I try never to do that. Sometimes I get prompted for days at a time, sometimes several times a day to pray for someone or some situation, but this time it is like I opened my heart and let it out and it flew away like a helium balloon and out of sight. I feel peace on this one. (Side note: no hostility intended here, should it read that way :))

Thanks for checking in. We rely on each other, or should, for guidance whether we are on the right track or gone astray. I always want someone to "bring me back" if I go astray because only the truth will make you free, all else is bondage.
    God Bless,
    Sonya

PS. It is such a blessing too, to have people that understand that this is not "just a pet" but a real member of our family. My 14 year old picked her out of the litter at about 4 weeks old, before she could even come to us and we forsee her being with us until this kid is out of college and beyond. :)
  4. caffey

caffey New Member

I agree with you. There are some people that pick verses and make a major doctrine out of verses especially in the Old Testament. Sounds like you are really in tune with God. You go girl. If I offended you I do apologize. It wasn't my intention to do so.
    Cath
  5. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

That is the drawback of email and message boards, you can't hear the person's tone of voice, etc. I was trying to let you know that I was NOT offended AT ALL! I am VERY SORRY if you thought that for a second. All opinions are good. Thanks so much everyone.

God Bless,
    Sonya
  6. Sweetpotatoe

Sweetpotatoe New Member

I have wondered the same things.

The Lord says to ask, by prayer and petition, The word says according to our faith it will be done, That when two or more stand in agreement...

Yet God is the Boss, I'm thinking sometimes the answer is yes, sometimes, no, sometimes wait and sometimes there seems to be no answer.

In my situation I don't know whether to keep praying about the same things, I just don't know anymore.

I pray for healing for your precious pup, standing in faith with you.

Love Cindy.
  7. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Your post had a lot of good food for thought and many mature insights. I would venture to guess that you have been in the Lord many years. I know many times we search until we get confirmation of our thoughts and feelings and accept only that one, but I also know that I have been taught to seek confirmation on things that God is saying, that if it is really from the Lord, He will bring confirmation from another person or in some other way.

I have felt the peace of God on several occasions and it is just like my Sunday School teacher says, it is those times when you should be going crazy, but you are not, and you even wonder about it, like, why aren't I going nuts? That is the peace that passes all understanding. This is a bit different and feels more like what they say about "giving it to God". It does make me wonder about other things I have tried to give up and then taken back (over and over and over). If I truly dedicated even half an hour to nothing but a conversation with the Lord about it, would I release it more fully? Rather than the few minutes I devote in the car or bathroom usually? I think that bears exploring, especially in an area that grieves you excessively.

What you said about "praying without ceasing" makes perfect sense. I do know that praying without ceasing also means simply having a conversation with God throughout the day as you go about your business. I am so thankful that, even though it has taken me many years to earnestly seek the Lord, God is very real and present to me and I talk to Him constantly.

I also like what you said about praying for strangers. Something I like to do is to pray for people in accidents, whether it is something I see myself or a report on the radio. I have been in 3 myself and know the upset it causes, even if you are not hurt. And so many times you only think of the effect on you, like being late to work, etc. and not of the effect on the people involved.

Thanks for your time. I really appreciate it because there are so many things competeting for our time.

God Bless,
    Sonya