Opinions on using SSD Repres instead of attorney.Make a differ.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by keke466, Aug 10, 2006.

  1. keke466

    keke466 New Member

    I've talked to one and she sounds like she knows what she's talking about. Said she doesn't work for SSD,comes in at the hearing stage. Told me to call her after I get my denials. Said she has several FM clients and that SSA is recognizing FM more now. Said she asks for no money till she wins and takes the usual %. Told me to start it now and sent me a form that she developed just for FM clients for the dr to fill out and to send that with my forms. Told me to get all my records and send them in with the first appl.

    Ask her about receiving my unemp benefits and starting the SSD appl now and she said I can do it. Said I'm not the first to get them and file. That they know it takes awhile and I need to get it started. Told me not to lie about it. Said if they ask we'll tell them I'm looking for work within my restrictions and even if I only worked one hour a day at least I'm trying. Unemp already knows I have restrictions and am looking for what I can do. Which is not much around here. Said you're allowed to make less than 800 a month to get SSD cause that's considered parttime. I make way less than that on unemp.

    Anyone use a representative instead of an attorney? How did your luck go? I live in a town of 3000 and she said there is 2 choices of towns they would have my case in. One is 45 min away and is not huge but large enough. The other is where her office is and is 60 min away and is quite large,has a base. Ask her if she thought by me going thru a smaller court system it might not take as long as it does in a very large city like our capital which would be the next choice and is 3 hrs away and would take forever. What do you think or will it make a difference.

    Thanks for all your support. Keke
  2. BlueSky555

    BlueSky555 New Member


    I am so glad that you asked this question. I was going to ask the same question myself.

    It's time for me to get someone and I, like you, didn't know which I should hire.

    Thank you for asking this; however, apologize because I have no answers for you.

    Good luck with information,

  3. mrdad

    mrdad New Member

    Glad that you are seeking SSA disability. Is the person
    that is to repre. you a Paralegal?? If She is experienced
    she may do jus as well for you as an Attorney. But I would
    think her % fee wouldn't be as much?? Best wishes for
    a quick and successful conclusion!!

  4. chickadee

    chickadee New Member

    instead of a lawyer. She won my case at the Administrative Law Judge level.

    I did not know it at the time, but if she had not won and I had wanted to go further with the case, then she could not have representated me in actual court.

    She had been doing this work for a lawyer for years and was good and decided to go on her own instead of making a secretary's pay from the lawyer.

    Ask what happens if she doesn't win at the ALJ level for you and if you think she's good and you can live with her answer about what happens if she doesn't win at this level, then go for it. I'm happy I did.


  5. loucindy

    loucindy New Member

    keke, i went to the employment office to file for my unemployment and they told me i could not file for it if i was filing for ssd, they said i had to be able to look for and be able to work, i called my attorney and he confirmed that i can not file for ssd and recieve unemployment, maybe it is different in different states... it is really confusing isnt it, take care and good luck cindylou

[ advertisement ]