Opinions Please...Buying New Mattress

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Txslady, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Txslady

Txslady New Member

I am in need of a new mattress, mine is 10+ years old. I went looking yesterday and have come to realized this is going to suck, it's like buying a house. After several stores I have no idea of what I am looking for. Here is what I was thinking of doing, Please give me your thoughts and let me know your ideas or possible a good mattress.

Buying a good pillow top or getting a firm mattress (no pillowtop) and buying a mattress topper (hubby approved a cuddle ewe) and changing it out every few years. One problem I have is the way mattress are made today (no-turn) is the biggest scam I have ever seen. In my opinion this is how they are getting everyone to replace their mattress after just a few years. All mattresses will have an indention and now you can't rotate them except head to foot.

Hubby really wants the tempur-pedic but I have concerns with this, it contains a chemical called TDI or TPI can't remember, and they are hard to roll over on, since you sink in some.

We have also looked at getting a soft side waterbed that has two bladders so we won't disturb each other.

Shannon
  2. macio33

macio33 New Member

hi shannon,

i have recently bought a new mattress. i got an orthopedic (spelling?) one. its quite hard but very supportive. it doesnt make you sink in so to speak but its so comfortable. its the best thing ive purchased for a while. i also bought a new pillow, cant remember exactly what its called, i think its an orthopedic one too, like 'memory foam', so it keeps its shape and supports the neck perfectly.

not sure what is available in the US (im in the UK) but i would recommend looking for an ortho type of mattress and possibly a pillow too.

hoep this helps and good luck with your shopping trip :)

jennie
  3. droufs

droufs New Member

We went out and bought a Select Comfort. I am always changing my number as to how I feel. My hubby keeps his set at 35. They are about the same price as a regular bed, but it has a 20-year warranty. We started with a queen, but upgraded to a king size because it is so roomy and comfy. We got this almost 2 years ago, and am so happy with it. I have had 3 doctors recommend this mattress, and they all had one of their own. Go try one out in a store, you will be hooked!
  4. 6cats

6cats New Member

I love my new sleep number bed!!! It has been a lifesaver and I am able to adjust the number to how I feel for the day...it has been a great thing for my muscles!!!!!!
  5. app5775

app5775 New Member

I'll throw in my two cents worth. I have a motionless waterbed and I love it. They may not be the firmest thing there is but I had back problems years ago and knock on wood I haven't had any even with sleeping on my waterbed. What it is great for are the times when you have pain just all over and for me I lie on top with just a thin sheet underneath. The coolness of the bed helps so much with the pain issues, especially in the summer when the heat gets to be too much. It really helps. Just thought I'd let you know what works best for me.
  6. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi, Shannon!

I have been through so many mattresses, trying to find a good one. Here are my experiences, and I hope they are helpful to you:

I agree that regular "no-flip" mattresses are a huge scam. I've been through several of them, and they each lasted about 2 years! Argh.

Memory foam of any brand smells to high heaven and the smell makes me really sick. Plus they are too soft for my back.

I got a Select Comfort bed and I could never quite get comfortable on it. It reminded me so much of fifth grade sleepovers, and sleeping on an air mattress on the floor. I know many people love them, but to me it just felt too cheesy.

The frustrating thing was, it felt great in the showroom. It was only when I was actually trying to sleep on it that I noticed that I couldn't really relax.

I was able to return the mattress, but the foundation? Forget about it! It weighed a ton, and once I got it together (which required a hammer to pound the pieces into place), there was no way I was going to get it apart again. I donated it to charity.

In desperation, I ordered a mattress online (without trying it). It was a latex foam mattress from Flo-Beds of California. They use Talalay latex, which is beautiful and fluffy and nearly smell-free. The faint smell it has is a natural rubber smell, so it didn't bother me.

Even though they had a great exchange policy, I found that even their firmest combination of mattress cores was still too soft for me. Their mattresses are thin and soft. I recommend them if you don't weigh over 175 and if you like a softer mattress.

It takes about two months to "break them in", and after that time they suddenly get softer. So be aware of that. I didn't figure out what was going on until after the trial period was over. So now I'm stuck with an expensive mattress I can't use!

Next I tried a latex foam mattress from Foam Sweet Foam. They have all kinds of latex mattresses. I got one made out of Dunlop latex, the older kind of latex. It's firmer and has more of a smell to it. (But still not too bad for me to stand.) This mattress was thicker, with three layers of foam in the core.

So far, it is working out, but I've only had it about a month.

If this fails, I'm going to try a mattress made of regular old furniture-grade foam next. An online store called Foam Order sells them.

I like the way foam has no pressure points, and it can last a lot longer than a regular mattress.

One thing I can say about latex mattresses is that they are heavy, but delicate. You have to move them piece by piece, unles you have six burly men around to carefully lift the mattress up. This is probably not a problem most of the time, because once you get it on your bed you don't usually have to move it around a lot.

But I have done enough dragging around of mattress pieces lately to last me for a while! lol As I've said before, it's like trying to carry a giant squid! Heavy and floppy.

Love,
    Forebearance

7. dridlen1959

dridlen1959 New Member

I bought a Temperpedic and I really like it. It is the most comfortable mattress I have ever slept on.
  8. mossrose101

mossrose101 New Member

Our mattress was a real nice pillow-top and we paid alot, in my opinion. It was great at first but then slowly over time (about 2 yrs.) the indentations started.

Last year we were able to go to a Bed & Breakfast for a couple days. The bed was sooo comfortable so I asked what kind of mattress it was. Turns out they had a feather-top mattress (kind of like a down feather-top) on top of a regular pillow-top mattress. She could get us a discount if we wanted one so I ordered one through this woman and it shipped directly to me.

Have had it now for a year and love it!. The only drawback is I have to fluff it up every morning. You really dont have to fluff it everyday but I do because I like how fluffy it gets and when you get into it, it just feels so good.

I figured its cheaper to replace this feather-top every few years than it is to get a brand new mattress.
  9. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

1) www.bettersleep.org/

They will help give you unbiased info on how to look for a mattress that's right for you. I shopped for a mattress a year ago and did a lot of research. There's no perfect mattress out there, but this website helps you find know what to look for and how to test them out in the store.

Also, the mattress warranties are very limited in the protection they provide. If you get even the tiniest stain on your mattress, even a water stain, the warranties are completely null and void. Most mattress warranties are so limited, they are almost useless. Be aware!

2) See also clarkhoward.com for more info. It's a consumer watchdog website---he has helpful info for TONS of topics, mattresses included, and helps people from getting ripped off. Do a search on "mattresses" at his website if you can't find the info immediately.

Best of luck, Erika
  10. skikat

skikat New Member

my problem is that my mattress is too firm for me. my husband loves it and i used to. our select comfort number bed we had moved to the guest room. i need something very very soft for my joints and now i cant stand the mattress touching my legs with the fibro being so bad. i have been considering the cuddle ewe but know nothing about it. i have even slept on air! i have also considered the real good microfoam. just something soft, really soft in a twin that i can put on our bed, because i need help around the clock and besides i just cant stand the thought of not sleeping next to him after 40 odd years. anyone know about the cuddle ewe??? please help. soft hugs to all....ski
  11. lynnintn

lynnintn New Member

I bought the same bed Christopher Reeve supposedly used after his spinal cord injury. It was a piece of CRAP and you cannot get any kind of refund after 90 days. It was adjustable and we had to replace parts like 4-5 X and my side kept going flat. I wasted $1500 on that piece of crap and just gave up and got a regular pillowtop.

Do a lot of research so you don't get burned.

Lynn in TN
    [This Message was Edited on 04/05/2007]
  12. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I bought a decent pillow top ..I think it is a serta...and then added a 2 inch foam topper..it works just great for me..I feel better with the foam that without it..and like you said..this way it can be replaced every few years.
  13. Ginner

Ginner New Member

I am in the process of investing in a new mattress. What an ordeal!
    Zenouchy, I love clark howard. I am glad you mentioned him. I listened to him at work but since Jan.have been home, applied for ssdi and don't listen to the radio.Thanks.
    I read your profile also. Can you tell me what all you are taking beside guaifensin and where you purchase the guaifensin? I want to start on supplements but I would rather buy them at gnc so no delivery chg. and I just am not good at comparing quality. My pcp did say to buy plant derivated supplements, for sure. It is so hard for me to research anything right now, I have been pretty home and bed bound. I fell lousy. I have to get better. I even had to cancel my Easter this yr. I am not up to it. I can only sit up for about 30 min and down I go my heart is racing a million miles an hr.
    Well, sorry to ramble. Thanks for reading.
    Thanks for the info.
    Gin