Opinions Please, Son's job interview

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alary, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Alary

Alary Member

I don't often post on this side of the board because it is so fast paced and active that I just can't keep up with all you jet setters. This board seems full of fun and interesting people. Can you help?

My husband and I have been going round and round on something and my son is right in the middle. He is 20 and going on some job interviews for part to full time jobs next week. The jobs are: retail cell phone sales, a large book store, and a work trainee at a glass company.
    My son said he would just wear a golf shirt to the interviews. My husband says wear a nice button down shirt but no tie. I say to wear a button down shirt and tie but no jacket.

What do you think? Thanks in advance!

2. caffey

caffey New Member

I would walk by some of those stores and see how the staff are dressed. If not I would go with shirt and tie and no jacket but the glass company is it a physcial labor job? If so I would go button down shirt. Don't know if that helps or not.
  3. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I heard just this morning I think on a national morning show, that you should always dress business on all interviews and even on the first day of work.

It's so much easier to relax down than to dress up a first impression.

4. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Dress shirt, tie, and carry the jacket if he thinks that he doesn't really need the jacket.

You only get one chance to make a first impression.

Unles he is applying for a job that requires mostly muscles and very little brain power----he needs to definitely wear the dress shirt and tie. I'd take along the jacket too. Make sure the shoes are polished. The socks need to be long enough so the interviewer isn't looking at a gap of hairy leg where your son's pant leg and sock meet when he sits down.

The golf shirt would be fine if he were interviewing for a caddy position at a golf course. Period.

Also, it is very important that he is respectful to the receptionist. you have no idea how many prospective employees have killed their employment opportunity by treating the receptionist/secretary in a haughty manner.

[This Message was Edited on 08/04/2007]
  5. Alary

Alary Member

He just left and looked really nice.
  6. Alary

Alary Member

He decided to not wear the tie after all, just a freshly ironed button down shirt and dress slacks. It hit 100 degrees F that day. I had bought him a new shirt and tie but he insisted on wearing an older shirt because, "I feel good in it." It gave him confidence.

They called later and offered him a job at the cell phone store!