Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by caffey, Sep 30, 2006.

1. caffey

caffey New Member

I am curious. What do you think of support groups. Do they help or are they depressing. Are they are giant pity party.
    Thanks. Cath
  2. cct

cct Member

Hi caffey,

I think that support groups can be both.

I have belonged to a support group for 16 years. Sometimes it is very depressing and sometimes it is very uplifting.

I can tell you one thing for sure, I have met some really great people through the support group. They are my CFS/FM pals . . . they understand. I can talk to them.
  3. suz45

suz45 New Member

I agree with the previous post, I have both belonged to both suppor groups (FMS) and facillitated them (epilepsy). it can be depressing or difficult if the dynamics of the groups are not coghesive, if the facillitator if there is one or other group memebrs allow a monopoly by one or more memebers. As each person is different in there level of sharing or perhaps just that they may be uncomfortable in a group, I believe each memeber has a personal responsibility to remeber that it is a support group and not group therapy which I have often seen occur.

Also trying to not just let the grioup turn into a "whine" session, but focusing also on positve moments and sharing positive power and energy. Really when you think about it we have enough negative stuff going on that can be overwhelming, the point of the support group is simple support and unconditional regard for others with I believe an emphasis on positive coping and feedback that encourages and uplifts the indiviuals and the group alike without sugar coating the true difficulties we all face.

Good post and food for thought.
    Thanks,
    Suz45

4. CarolK

CarolK New Member

As the saying goes.

I've been coming to this board since 2002... it has been a wonderful help and support for me. A place to vent, a place to extend an understanding heart and hand to others...and a place to find lots of wonderful ideas to make your life a little easier.

ALL IN ALL I WOULD SAY THIS BOARD HAS BEEN A VERY POSITIVE EXPERIENCE! I cannot vouche for other boards as I have never needed to go to them. But this one is very, very helpful!

If you do find something that is depressing, well pray for that person and just move on. "Eat the hay and spit out the twigs"!

This board has lots of good advice, caring hearts and people who share in the common bond of experiencing pain (to one degree or another) on a daily basis. Much humor is also found here and that is always a lift to your day.

So I would give this board very high marks!! It's a good place of help and hope!!

Blessings to you Cath.... CarolK
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

I think support groups are GREAT!!!

They can provide a lot of helpful information as well as comfort, when needed.

They are only as depressing as your own mind lets them be.

They can become a giant pity party only if the participants let the meeting get to that point. One way to prevent this is to make sure that YOU, as one participant, remain positive. Then, hopefully, the others will follow your example!

Hugs,
    Janet
  6. tlayne

tlayne Member

Good question. I would like to hear your opinion on this subject also.

As for mine....This board has saved my life and sanity. This is the first support that I have ever had for these dd, and I don't have to leave my house when I have no energy to go to a support group.

I always try to offer support and encouragement. However, I find that when I am my weakest and I don't have any encouragement to give to others, that I don't respond or ask for encouragement for myself. I am learning tho. That is why I go to the worship board, and I ask for prayer.

I have met so many wonderful people here. They are like my family. This board has been good for me. I don't know how I got so lucky to find this place and so many loving, careing, and wise people! Hugs, Tam
  7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

going to Emotions Anonymous, off and on, for over 20 years. It is an off shoot of Alcoholics Anonymous and follows the 12 step rules.

For example, each meeting has a time for members to share something positive that happened during the past week. The amount of time each member can talk is limited.

Members are not allowed to interrupt or give advice. No discussion of politics or international affairs. etc.

I doubt that a meeting would work very well w/o these or similar rules.
  8. caffey

caffey New Member

Everyone for your input. I need to clarify something. I am in no way dissatisfied with this board. You all are terrific and you have been a great support to me especially through this past couple of weeks. I am feeling like I need to talk with someone in real time. You all are great. Kettles on if anyone wants to come for tea. lol.
    Cath