Opinions?? thinking of asking for Xanax or Ativan

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bunchy, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Trying to move house - so stressed - swallowing handfuls of Lunesta/Ambien and Valium - still can't sleep or relax.

Is it time to ask for something stronger and if so which is best and how do I not build tolerance?

Also worried about getting off of these stronger drugs as can't even get off the ones I am on - just keep taking more and more.

Please help - desperate,

Bunchy x
  2. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

I didn't know ativan was used for pain. Can you explain, please. I take 1 mg. at bedtime for sleep, and it does work. If you take ativan during the day but keep working and being active, it won't make you relax, but it might make you less alert. I hate to see you take more and more, as they don't really help, and are a bitch to come off of. You're going to be annoyed when I tell you this, but what you really need, (as if you didn't already know) is a lot of support and hands on help while you're moving at least. Please know that I am thinking of you and will send you my strength. Love, marie
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Bunchy:

Yes, desperate if you are 'swallowing handfuls of Lunesta/Ambien/Valium.

Not too long ago I had to go to AA for a while because I was self-medicating. I fessed up to the doctor, tried a few meetings until stable again and signed a contract with doc only to get meds from him and he put me on stronger meds.

So simple: All I should have done was call him.

Just my experience,
    n.f.

4. daylight

daylight New Member

I know a some about xanax. I use it. It is anti-anxiety drug used also for a muscle relaxer / sleep aid. It can be addicting so most doctors will start you at .25mg. every 6 hours. No driving is allowed while taking this drug . You'll be weaving all over the rode =).
    When I was working I had to take it in over to make it through the day. I does relax me .
    As for ambien ? I have never used it but I did work with patients who had and there were mixed reports. Most people said that they prefered the xanax to the ambien.
    I hope that you are feeling better soon.
    ((((HUGS)))))
    [This Message was Edited on 04/07/2006]
  5. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

I took significant amounts of xanax then Klonopin on and off from 2002-2005. I think they are great for the short term but I discourage ongoing use (longer than 3 months).

If I were you, I would aggressively try to find a non-addicting SSRI or some other antidepressant for the long term. You may need to take xanax or valium for 2-4 weeks while the other kicks in. Anyway, based on my own hell with Klonopin, that's the route I'd pursue.
  6. daylight

daylight New Member

Anti-anxiety drugs can help with pain by deading the nerve endings thus eliminating the pain signal to the brain. Getting the right drug and dose is the key. I personally don't take xanax more than once a day because I don't want to be gruggy throughout my day but it does help me sleep at night or for most the night.
  7. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

I get it about the Ativan now. No, you're right, I'm not in that much pain, just debilitated, and unable to move sometimes. I don't blame you for taking it for that. I CANNOT sleep unless I take it at bedtime. Take care of yourself. Marie