Oprah article on CFS, summarized

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rfg958, Oct 19, 2006.

1. rfg958

rfg958 New Member

well, here goes, I am going to try to type in a summary of the Oprah article. I think it has some good info and want everyone to have a chance at it.

Excerpts: "You Think You're Tired?" by Mary A. Fischer from O magazine, Sept. 2006

. . . news. Scientists at the CDC had (have) found credible evidence of a biological cause for CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome) . . .

**(they found) people with chronic fatigue syndrome have a genetic quirk that causes them to overrespond to physical and emotional stress.

(CFS or FMS) can be as debilitating as multiple sclerosis and AIDS. . .Many don't recover, . . . (some say) "I never feel anything close to well."

onset can be sudden or gradual . . many keep pushing themselves. . .

CFS was first recognized in the mid-1980's. . .For the groundbreaking CDC study, published in the April 2006 issue of "Pharmacogenomics, 227 volunteers patients and healthy controls--checked into a Wichita hospital. . .teams delved into genetics and found that the DNA code in people with CFS is different in genes that are important to both the immune and sympathetic nervous systems--pointing in particular, to 3 genes related to the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis, which affects the stress response. . .CFS VOLUNTEERS HAD WHAT'S CALLED A HIGH ALLOSTATIC LOAD the cumulative wear and tear on the body resulting from inadequate biological responses to changes in the everyday environment as well as to emotional and physical stressors. . .in healthy people, those immune cells would adapt to the trauma and start healing the body.

. . .With the results of the study researchers predict that a diagnostic test and treatment for CFS are only 3 to 5 years away. . .

(Some say) that CFS is where multiple sclerosis used to be 25 years ago before MRI scans identified the disease's biological marker--lesions in the brain. . .
  2. maedaze

maedaze New Member

Great to hear that they have done a serious article and not fobbed it off as the yuppie flu.

YAY, we might be finally getting somewhere?

REAL treatment 3-5 yrs away? I HOPE SO!!!
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Good for you!

Marta
  4. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i hope they find something soon that is concrete for people needing ssd charlene
  5. jole

jole Member

Just when I'd given up!!
  6. rfg958

rfg958 New Member

this gives me so much more hope than anything has for a while