Oprah Magazine ad

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by cherylsue, Nov 16, 2007.

1. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

Check on Nov 2007 p. 100 in O Magazine. On the left is an ad about Lyme disease. 5 times more prevalent than Aids. The ad is from the Turn the Corner organization. They are seeking donations, but they do have a good website.

CherylSue
    [This Message was Edited on 11/16/2007]
  2. munch1958

munch1958 Member

That's a lot of sick people.

This is a really good website:
    http://www.turnthecorner.org/lyme-guidelines.htm

Thanks for posting it, CherylSue! How is your treatment going?

3. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

An ad for lyme!! We need more awareness!!
  4. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

I read that Lyme patients get more sympathy than CFS patients. If you have CFS, they perhaps, think it is in your head or a psych disease. When you say Lyme, people seem more understanding. Odd, isn't it? We suffer the same.

CherylSue
  5. Duesouth

Duesouth New Member

This forum is amazing. I read all this stuff and thought, these people actually know about all the symptoms I've had for years. It's like, "really" great to talk to people that know and understand what I'm dealing with. I'm new to this site but not new to Lyme. I've tried to trace back and figure out when my Lyme started. The best I can figure would be around 1975. The bad thing is, I was bitten in 1988 and had the bulls-eye rash. No telling how many times I had been bitten by lyme infected ticks because the area where I got the one in 1988 is an area I spent much time in, year round and I always got covered with ticks while bow hunting. I had a large rash on my leg in 1982 but at that time, didn't know about Lyme so I ignored it. There is no telling how many times I was bitten by Lyme infected ticks. I really appreciate this site and all of you that post here. I'm still learning. Now that I know what's going on, I have plans to see a lyme literate doctor and finally I have some hope. I'm so glad now that I didn't blow my brains out in 1987 when things got so bad. It's hard to believe that you can get a disease in America and the doctors don't know how to test for or treat it. How did this happen?
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

Let's hope Oprah reads her own magazine... or at least one of her assistants brings it to her attention. Perhaps that's part of the game plan of advertising in her magazine... smart idea imho.

Duesouth, there are always new bacteria and viruses emerging it seems... I think it's a never-ending battle. The genome of Lyme has been figured out, it is 2X as complex as its cousin Syphilis, so it's no wonder it really wasn't noticed. Add to that gov'ts have been fooling around with many of these organisms to see if they can be used as bioweapons. Scary.

I think it's the human ego to think 'we know it all now' and that we're somehow in control. I can't believe we'll ever be, really; I read something like 70% of our biomass, individually, are other organisms, and some of them are actually nasties. They're normally held in check by 'good bacteria'; so we're actually quite dependent on them to help us be alive.

all the best,
    Victoria

7. ScottInCalifornia82

ScottInCalifornia82 New Member

I was diagnosed and treated for lyme disease as a child. I am now experiencing many of the symptoms associated with CFS and my dr. strongly suspects that my symptoms today are related to my previous lyme. I am awaiting the results of my western blot lyme test to see if I am indeed still infected with the lyme bacteria and wasn't cured of it when I was a child.

The truth is, as bad as it sounds, I'm almost hoping that it comes back positive so I can have something more "legitimate" to tell people. Of course both CFS and Lyme are equally legitimate and practically indistuignsiable symptom-wise and are most certainly related somehow. However society is still ignorant about CFS and probably will continue to be so for years to come. So the way I see it, if I'm already suffering the symptoms, I would rather it be from something people know about and believe.

Scott
  8. highcotton

highcotton New Member

Since getting my lyme diagnosis people are all of a sudden sympathetic, even friends i have known for years are suddenly offering help.

as if it was all in my head when it was "only" CFS!
  9. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

I'm happy to see it getting exposure! People need to hear the truth about this. 5X more than AIDS? WOW!

Bunny
  10. munch1958

munch1958 Member

Both my SILs have battled breast cancer; one 7 years ago and the other is just finishing up chemo & radiation.

During their months of intensive treatment both seemed to be very sympathetic about my illness. Making comments like "Wow. I can't believe you deal with this fatigue every day!"

When they were feeling better they didn't want to talk about any of it. It's like they wanted to get on with their life and not think about being sick. Well, I certainly understand that!

People around me didn't understand the FM or CFS diagnosis. Lyme they do get for some reason. Cancer they get too!

Between lumpectomies, chemo and radiation "IT" ate up a year of their lives. I'm not wishing for cancer here but compared with the 3 months to 3 years (on average) for treatment for Lyme patients (with many of us requiring open ended regimens) sometimes I envy getting over "IT" in a year.
  11. pawprints

pawprints New Member

Thanks for the info. I'll go get a copy of the magazine. Glad Lyme and other illnesses like Fibro, etc. are getting some publicity.

How are the NutriMedix working for you?

I am still on them and will probably be for awhile longer, since I'm not using the abx as well.

12. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I agree the two diseases are quite similar, except with Lyme there is often unrelenting chronic pain, such as my case. So I get the awful fatigue of CFS, and my joints swell and burn as if they are on fire. And almost constant migraines too. My body hurts from head to toe, every day, and the fatigue is so bad I can barely shower every few days. Maybe the pain factor is the difference? I by no means intend to imply that I am sicker than anyone else. I just wondered if that could be the difference.
    Take care!
    Kellyann
  13. FreethinkerX

FreethinkerX New Member

itsa 'bout time eh?

14. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia for 17 years before finding out it was Lyme.

I too, have noticed that people took me more seriously and treated my illness with much more respect after finding out it was really Lyme, but only for so long.

Most had heard the party line about Lyme, ie. that Lyme can be cured with 3 weeks of antibiotics. Their reaction to the change in diagnosis was "Finally! Now you will be cured". After awhile they started asking why I was not cured yet. Even my PCP had that reaction.

Unfortunately for my future life span, by the time I was correctly dx'd, my immune system had been so dysregulated by Lyme that I am allergic to all of the antibiotics that kill Lyme. Fluroquinolones are the only ABX I'm not allergic to now.

But, this disaster was fortunate for me in regards to keeping other people's sympathy, since after I explained to people that I could not take the "cure", they went back to being sympathetic.

Some of the doctors even "got it" that my fate would be the same as for untreated syphills patients and became very pitying towards me, especially our Veterinarian, since they are far ahead of people docs in understanding the truth about Lyme. However, just as many still treat me as if I am suffering from a mild illness, not a lethal one.

Example: I recently had my gallbladder removed. Before surgery, worried about getting a post-op infection that would require antibiotics, I asked the surgeon about the incidence of complications in people with chronic illness like my Lyme. He said: "We almost never have complications in otherwise healthy people like you". Since when is a third stage Lyme patient "otherwise healthy"??!!

I have cardiac damage from Lyme, in the form of 3 leaking valves and 2 conduction disorders, and to this day, my Cardiologist only believes I have Lyme because I can't take antibiotics, and because I moved here from Wisconsin, where Lyme is endemic.

He does not realize that Florida is full of Lyme too. Nor does he realize how long ago I moved here (six years before I got sick), and I am not about to tell him, since he believes me, and will never buy the idea that Lyme can remain dormant, sometimes for decades. It may be true, but it is not the conventional belief, so he is not listening. I also have two positive blood tests, but they are from the now defunct Bowen Lab, so many docs do not consider them valid.

So, IMO, the Lyme vs. FMS or CFS diagnosis issue is a double-edged sword.

Klutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 12/27/2007]
  15. wld285

wld285 New Member

I just e-mailed Oprah with a story.

Linda
  16. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Some of us have emailed her before, but it doesn't hurt to do it again. If a lot of us do this, maybe we would be heard.
  17. wld285

wld285 New Member

I thought probably people have already E-mailed her, but it wouldn't hurt to flood her again.

Linda