Oprah on bird flu: what's your reaction?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, May 30, 2006.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Did anyone see the Oprah show about bird flu today? What are your thoughts on the issue?
    (( )) Shannon
  2. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Sorry I missed it. What did she say?
  3. Shannonsparkles

Oprah had a doctor on the show, head of some department of something, I think (sorry, memory bad) to talk about what would happen if the bird flu mutates so that it can spread from person to person.

That scenario would be: millions dying, drug supply cut off, food supply cut off, water and electricity cut off, hospitals overrun...

Currently, there's no vaccine for the bird flu. There's a drug that MIGHT help an infected person, but only if they take it in the first few hours of being sick. But if the drug starts being used widely before there is a big problem, or in people who aren't truly infected, it will lose effectiveness.

Oprah advised people to have a 5 week food supply in the house, and that there is a special kind of mask they can wear. They were also told to pressure congress for more money to develop a vaccine. Only a fraction of the funds needed was devoted to the research for a vaccine.

It was all pretty scary. They said a flu pandemic is inevitable, whether it will be this bird flu or something else. Research has recently revealed that the 1918 flu that killed 100 million people worldwide was a bird flu.

That's all I can remember. I suppose she would have more on her website.
    (( )) Shannon
  4. woofmom

woofmom New Member

The "bird flu" has been around for a very long time. Donald Rumsfeld is making millions off Tamiflu. The money spent on this "what if" illness is needed more for illnesses that are here and now. It's just another way for certain individuals to make a ton of money.
  5. Shannonsparkles

Glad this thread is up, because we're gettting a lot of good discussion and differing views here. Thanks, everyone!

When they were going over how America's resources would collapse and how unprepared everone is, it made the country - every country - look like a house of cards.

It was troubling to me that our drugs are made mostly overseas, and that there are some 40 drugs currently that have had their supply cut off to America due to problems in the other country. Drugs are something we can't stockpile, and most people depend on them. Has anyone who has seen the show today been particularly disturbed by one comment or another? I would love to hear your views.

All things said, I'm not worried, because worrying doesn't help. We human beings are under so much stress and threat each day that it becomes, as Oprah said, the "white noise" of our lives. Lets prepare and forget about it. Nothing wrong with a full freezer.

I should add too that I can't remember anything well before yesterday, so I probably will genuinely forget about it. ;)

Looking forward to more comments.
    (( )) Shannon
  6. Banka8

Banka8 New Member

It's alot of flap about Zip.

Oprah is tiresome.

Judy
  7. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I said a better chance of the goose laying the golden egg on my head than I do of catching the "bird flu".
  8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I saw it during the winter and I must say that, while it sounds reasonable, I just CANNOT worry about one more thing. Have you noticed that almost everything - every news piece, every advertisement - is geared to generate fear in some way?

And we wonder why we're so stressed!

(Sorry, Shannon. Don't mean to rain on your post...)

Marta
  9. jarjar

jarjar New Member

Its not a matter of "if" its a matter of "when". Parts of the governtment are way more alarmed about this then they are letting on.

The whole deal is so HUGE that we can't sit around and worry about it because its bigger then us.

I will watch show and see if its a different one then she aired about 1/2 a year ago.

Oprah and the gov't are not spreading fear they are just talking about a very possible reality.

jar

[This Message was Edited on 05/30/2006]
  10. ulala

ulala New Member

Did you know her? She must have been able to tell a lot of very interesting stories about what happened!!
  11. jenni4736

jenni4736 New Member

I admit I did watch a bit here and there today but did anyone catch the symptoms of bird flu?

The guy (Mr.?) said that the immune system goes into overdrive and the body fights itself. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Sounds like a bad case of FM/ CFS. He was talking about severe fatigue, bowel pains, severe muscle aches....and a list we have seen for years.

I know that it can result in death... but the symptoms list is one we are all familiar with! Would those of us on the board know it from a severe flair....??????

jenni
  12. forfink

forfink New Member

Although, it is wonderful to inform the public, my concern is for all the poor people who watched this show today who will be so distraught and worry themselves into a panic. Oprah is like gospel to so many.......
  13. ulala

ulala New Member

when she had the bird flu? Was she able to see your grandfather during those two years? After she got the flu did she stay with her family and not give it to any of them?

Dr. Mike Osterholm mentioned a book, The Great Influenza: by John Barry. I've posted some info that was written about the book:

Even though it killed at least 40 million people in less than a year, the 1918 influenza pandemic's most alarming feature may have been that it nearly extinguished the basic humanitarian impulses that bind civil society together.

So says John Barry, author of The Great Influenza: The Epic Story of the Deadliest Plague in History (Viking 2004). Barry was at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health March 2 to talk about history's most calamitous infectious disease pandemic, which killed more people in 24 weeks during 1918—1919 than AIDS has in 24 years.

According to Barry, those still healthy were too panicked by the disease's violent symptoms (rib-cracking coughing spells, intense pain, a cyanosis of the skin so deep blue its like has never been seen since) to even look in on their ill neighbors. Some of the sick, and their children with them, simply starved to death for lack of attention.

Barry quoted one health official after he had failed to recruit a single volunteer: "Nothing seems to rouse them. Children are starving and still they hold back." Even in tight-knit rural communities, says Barry, neighbors didn't rally 'round...

This whole idea of a pandemic flu is so foreign to us and so unbelievable. I think that we take so much for granted. We just think that things will always be as they are now and nothing can go wrong. We forget very quickly.

I'm on a waiting list at my local library book for the Barry book. Hope to learn something.

As far as Oprah spreading fear; I think that knowledge is power and she's spreading knowledge.

14. Strawberry94

Strawberry94 New Member

All flu comes from birds or pigs to us. Any of them could mutate at anytime. The actual flu kills people every year. It is fear mongering hype to keep hyping this bird flu as something extra ordinary. ALL flu comes from birds or pigs so why the label "bird flu?"

I think it is always a good idea to take immune enhancing supplements and eat a good diet to keep immune system working as well as it can anyway.

I can't drive, so I keep things on hand like canned tuna, crackers and canned soups, plus bottled water anyway.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/30/2006]
  15. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

I just have sooo many other things in my life to be concerned about. I hate that the media blows it waaaay out of proportion and they just have this field day with it when they need to really get to reality about it.

All I can do is store up enough food, stay away from birds which I already do, take my vitamins especially the ones that build up my autoimmune system, and overall just be aware.

I know someone posted the symptoms and I would have no way of knowing if it is because of fibro about the fatigue and pain aches or it was actually the bird flu.

But I can't sit and worry about it, there is just so much other stuff for me to be concerned about.

I realize people bow down to Oprah and watch her shows and listen to her like the Gospels and I watch her shows with discernment, and I enjoy what she talks of but also realize some things she says are really out there. But then I also remember that she is a part of the media too.
  16. matthewson

matthewson New Member

What will be will be and no amount of worrying is going to change that. I can't stand reading the news or watching TV anymore because it is just one sensational story after another. Really it gets old!

At our hospital we have a plan in place for disasters. They have a specific bird flu plan, so I am sure all hospitals in the nation have one. It is true that first line responders would be vaccinated first. That only makes good sense.

Me, I'm not worried about dying. It happens everyday to young and old, and no amount of worrying is going to change fate.

Take care, Sally
  17. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

And if you ever depend on any one else but yourself, you are just fooling yourself. I have always kept a large amount of cash in my safe, water in my garage, my gas tanks full, propane tanks + spares, all my camping gear in boxes ready to go, etc. Plus lots of non-perishable foods, etc. I have stockpiled meds....call me paranoid or prepared- but I rely on me. Period.