Orange flare up

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sean, Oct 9, 2002.

1. sean

sean New Member

Just wanted to know how many people have experienced a flare up of their condition after eating oranges. I have found that oranges cause my FMS to flare up particularly badly. Especially causing fever/nausea like symptoms and burning skin, mainly in the areas of the face, scalp, ears, shins, calves, and ankles.
  2. sean

sean New Member

Just wanted to know how many people have experienced a flare up of their condition after eating oranges. I have found that oranges cause my FMS to flare up particularly badly. Especially causing fever/nausea like symptoms and burning skin, mainly in the areas of the face, scalp, ears, shins, calves, and ankles.
  3. lavender_butterfly

lavender_butterfly New Member

I guess I really don't eat oranges or drink orange juice very often. Its just not something I care for.

But this did cause me to stop and think. I live in an apartment building and my neighbors always clean with that horrible orange oil cleaner stuff. It smells so bad, I can hardly stand to walk by their apartment door in the hallway. There have been a few days where I gagged so hard, I had to run back to my apartment to get sick.

I used the cleaner once, last Spring, before I got sick, before I moved. I was in bed for almost a week afterwards. I thought it was just because I am sensitive to chemicals. But now, I wonder...
  4. sb439

sb439 New Member

... but I read just recently (and can't remember where) that some of the 'natural' orange/lemon cleaners are toxic to some people because of something that's in it (can't remember what). sorry, too zonked out today for anything more precise.

sean, some people are allergic to citrus fruit, so you may be. (And then, of course, chemicals may have been used on the oranges.)

love,
    Susanne
  5. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

I believe it is common for citrus to cause some with arthritis conditions to have joint pain but you may be particularly sensitive or have just gained a new allergy! Beware of tomatoes too - they are considered citrus. I didn't know that until I ate a lot of them with this summer's harvest from our garden - it took a few days get out of my system so now I stay away for those too.

Hope it goes away quickly - good luck!
  6. selma

selma New Member

I get an increase i n pain. I thought that I was the only one. Fresh fruits are advocated by everyone. so, I never said anything. Maybe I'm allergic?????

Just one of those thing I avoid.

Love, Selma
  7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I think it may be the acid, not a true allergy. Many people with FMS notice that they seem sensitive to eating acid foods, and all Rheumatic diseases are considered to be diseases of over-acidity by the alternative medical community. BTW, I get the burning skin also if I overdo on any acid food. I used to get it a lot in summer before I figured out that too much herbal iced tea was putting too much acid in my system.
    Klutzo
  8. herblady

herblady New Member

no i never have had a problems with oranges and orange juice. in fact orange juice gives me energy. cindi