Orange Peel Skin???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dara, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Dara

Dara New Member

Has anyone heard of this description? I read about it somewhere and of course now I can't remember where I read it or what it referred to. The skin on my legs looks exactly like an orange peel, except for the color. Then about a week ago my sister and brother in law were here and he said to me "I never realized how many freckles you have"!!, I've never had freckles. Then I started looking and that is what it really does look like. Anyone know what this means? Thanks.

Dara
  2. Dara

Dara New Member

thank you for your reply. Perhaps I discribed it incorrectly. I have no pain, redness, any discomfort whatsoever. It just looks like I have little brown dots or pigments all over my skin. I have an appointment next week at the Fibromyalgia Clinic and will have the NP look at it. Thanks again.

Dara
  3. KimCmills

KimCmills New Member

Dara,
    I have the same problem, but am puzzled at what it might be. Did you find out what caused yours?
    Kim
    [This Message was Edited on 04/05/2003]
  4. roostergrl

roostergrl New Member

Does it look like skin colored bumps all together? That is what I have and have had it spreading all over my body for the past 4 or 5 years. I started on my leg and went to my hands. Now it is on my face in places.
  5. jgckeyes

jgckeyes New Member

I have a fine rash all over my body-it started last summer on my face-now it is all over my stomach. some of it is red and some of it not but you can feel it, when you rub your hand over it. All of my skin has changed-I don't really know how to describe it. I figured it was all part of fm. I am 47 and used to take premerin-hrt, now dr has me on estra-test. Could this maybe be it?
    Thanks, Jenny
  6. Dara

Dara New Member

I still don't know what the "orange peel" look is from. I need to make an appointment with a dermatologist very soon. There is no itching, redness, rash, or anything. It just looks like the little tiny bumps are all dark colored. I know that somewhere I read about this once and I keep thinking that maybe it had something to do with the thyroid. I do see an Encronologist in July ( I think that's how you spell it), at least then I'll find out if it is or isn't anything to do with the thyroid. Anybody else have any suggestions?

Dara
  7. mrs1349

mrs1349 New Member

Sometimes people refer to "orange peel skin" on their breasts when they have breast cancer, that is actually a sign you are to look for.
    I am sure this is not what it is however, that is what comes to mind when you describe "orange peel skin".

Hormones can cause a change with our skin as well...See your Doctor for peace of mind...

Kim
  8. KimCmills

KimCmills New Member

to Dara,
    I have had a thyroid problem for the past 10 or 11 years, first Graves disease then Hoshimoto, and I never noticed the skin problem untill the past few years so maybe it is related, I've never thought to ask my endocronologist.but mine is just as you described yours, I hate to where shorts.
    Kim
  9. CarolF

CarolF New Member

Hi. This is the first time I am sending messages on this bulletin board. After reading about the "orange peel skin"
    I felt I had to write. Just last week my rheumatologist noticed my legs being real tight, reddish and brownish
    in color (only he said it looked like elephant skin. They dont bother me, but just look funny.

I noticed this some time ago, but decided not to ask about it as I have so many things wrong with me, I didnt feel like being tested for something else. Well, I am seeing my dermatologist this week to have him check me out for STASIS DERMATITIS. I am not sure if this is what I have yet, but it sounds similar to yours. When I get a response from him, I will let you know. - Very Interesting -
    [This Message was Edited on 04/07/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 04/07/2003]
  10. Dara

Dara New Member

I'm anxious to see what the dermotologist says about this. Let me know, OK? Good thing your rheumatologist is observant.

Dara
  11. Dara

Dara New Member

originally I couldn't see her until July but they had a cancellation and I'll be seeing her tomorrow. So, at least I should be able to find out if this skin problem has anything to do with thyroid or not. Will let you know what I find out.

Dara
  12. Dara

Dara New Member

and she really didn't address my skin problem. Today of all days it wasn't as bad as it usually is. She did mention me going to a dermatologist so that is probably what I will do. I am now scheduled for an ultra sound on my thyroid. I had 2/3 of it removed about 12 years ago because of a malignant tumor. Now the 1/3 that I have left is enlarged and has three nodules on it. When they did the surgery I was never prescribed any thyroid medication as I was told that 1/3 of your thyroid is sufficient. The doctor today told me that what happens is that the remaining portion of the thyroid has to overwork itself to produce whatever it produces, thus causing it to become enlarged. After the ultra sound if she finds that the nodules have grown over the past year then I will need to have a biopsy. I also found out two other things that I didn't know about but I am going to post these separately so that if someone is interested in the topic they will be able to see them. I'll post under "skin discoloration on the neck", and "Bumps under the eyes", sounds wierd, huh?

Dara