Organ Donation

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by INFP, Sep 15, 2010.

1. INFP

INFP New Member

Recently I recall reading something from the CFIDS Association of America ( that because the cause of CFS/ME is unknown, we shouldn't be organ donors.

I am currently registered in California as a organ donor, but only for eyes, because when I registered a number of years ago, common sense told me that passing on my organs/tissue to someone else might be a problem.

Now I'm wondering if even donation of eyes might be contraindicated. Does anyone know where I could get the answer to this question?

I need to decide soon whether to drop out of the organ donation registry because the info about whether or not a person is a donor is indicated on our driver's license, which I have to renew soon.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions or information you can give me.

2. spacee

spacee Member

It seems according to Dr. Cheney's letter to RichVK about the virus (XMRV) being
    in organs, it would be unwise to be an organ donor.

I wouldn't do it myself.

Good question though.

3. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

What a coincidence--I watched the movie Seven Pounds yesterday and I felt moved to become an organ donor but then I thought about how blood donation for people with ME/CFS is banned in the UK and I thought it wouldn't be a good idea for us to donate organs.[This Message was Edited on 09/16/2010]
  4. DrNicolson

DrNicolson New Member

It is not a good idea to be an organ donor with all of the known pathogenic infections that have been found in CFS/FMS/GWI. If you look at the individual prevalence of various infections in these disorders and factor them all in, something like 80-90% of patients have one or more known infections, and as we have seen with the new retroviruses, even if they are currently of unknown pathogenicity, this is probably higher.

Prof Nicolson
  5. dzlady

dzlady New Member

Wow. I have always made it clear to everyone that I wanted to donate whatever could be used. I am a smoker, so I know that limits it to what can be, but dang...that's almost depressing!
  6. gomma1

gomma1 New Member

It does make me sad to realize it would probably put someone else at risk for this darn illness, even it were only my eyes that I donated. Sigh. CFIDS makes me feel so useless and disconnected from humanity; I struggle each day just to take care of my basic needs since I don't have a husband or other caregiver. I am oh so grateful, though, that I have my vision. It all would be SO much worse without that. It was wonderful to think I could at least pass that gift on to someone else after I died, but they probably wouldn't appreciate the "gift" of CFIDS that might come with it.

Thanks to all for your comments. :)