ORGANIC Anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kch64, Dec 1, 2005.

1. kch64

kch64 New Member

Has anyone gone completely organic and has it helped?

Kendra
  2. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Kendra,
    I surely hope someone has done this, - I haven't. I just can't afford it. Up where I live, organic veggies are more than twice what the others are.

I tried growing my own, but failed becaus eof the many racoon, possom and other creatures. I would first have to build a greenouse.

Here's hoping for some creative ideas from others.

Terry
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

afford it. Organic chicken here, Scotland, £8. I do buy organic steak and potatoes. Other veg far too expensive.

Wish I could afford it.

love
    Rosie
    [This Message was Edited on 12/02/2005]
  4. caroleye

caroleye New Member

We've been shopping for mostly organic foods since the first healthfood stores opened. We've increased the amounts now that we have such great stores like Whole Foods.

Only time I don't is if I go to a restaurant.

The pesticide residues in our soils & the chemicals they spray on our product, plus add to our packaged foods, etc. all contribute to the chemicals in our body.

Eventually, hope the prices will drop as more stores open up their minds about the effects of chemicals on all of us.

LIGHT***********carole
  5. tigger5

tigger5 New Member

I do what I can to eat organically but am not a fanatic about it - takes too much energy and money.

Carrots...I make sure these are organic. I've heard that sometimes cotton growers (It takes a lot of fertilizer and pesticides to grow) will let their fields rest every couple of years. In that "rest" year, they grow carrots because the carrots will absorb many of the chemicals from the soil. I challenge anyone to do a taste test...organic vs non. There is a difference. I choose organic.

Also...vegetables that are not grown organically tend to have fewer nutrients. They are usually grown in depleted soils and only have the few nutrients that were in the fertilizer.

Also...for proper digestion we need enzymes. Many enzymes do not develop on a plant until it ripens on the vine. So...the fruit/produce that is picked slightly green for the big grocery stores so it will hold up during shipment to the main warehouse then to each store do not have the enzymes we need.

Beef...I also make sure this is at least antibiotic and hormone free and preferably pasture-raised. Think about it...a cow was designed to eat grass. In nature, they wouldn't be fed a grain diet. There is research showing higher nutrition values in pasture-raised animals.

In general I figure the less toxins I put in my body the better so I do what I can without getting stressed about it.
  6. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

We have eaten organic for many years. Here are some ideas to cut the costs:

1. GROW YOUR OWN:
    Start an organic garden. If that requires too much for you, then try just growing one thing that you really love. How about tomatoes in a large container?

2. JOIN A FOOD COOP:
    At ours, the prices for members are 10% below the public at large.

Ours has two discount programs. If you are low income or disabled you get a card showing a 10% discount on purchases.

The second is if you become a working member. When you accumulate 10 hours of work, you receive a 25% discount on purchases up to $100 of purchases.

If you combine these two discounts it's a whopping 35% off. If you are unable to do the volunteer work, perhaps a family member or friend could do it for you.

Bonus: they may be able to assign someone to shop for you.

3. JOIN A CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) in your area.
    You purchase a "share" from a farm which entitles you to weekly fresh, organic produce, in season. You pick up your share at the farm or at a designated drop-off site, usually the home of a member.

To find one you can search a national data-base of CSA's by googling Community Supported Agriculture. It's listed with USDA.

4. COSTCO
    Ours carries Earthbound Salad Mix, a huge container that lasts 2 of us a week, for $3.50
    Huge bag of organic baby carrots, also around $3.50
    Soon another Costco will open in our area with many more organic choices.

5. GROCERY OUTLET (or similar types)
    Carries the regular bags of Earthbound Salad Mix and often carries organic cherry tomatoes.

6. BE SELECTIVE IN YOUR PURCHASES:
    I find that many of the pre-packaged organic foods are expensive. Also, you must read the ingredients label, many now have "cane sugar" or "evaporated cane juice" which are just code names for "sugar", organic or not.

I steer away from most of the pre-packaged foods and just cook from scratch to a great degree. It grows on you. You can keep it simple, and still delicious. Try steaming or stir-frying veggies, serve over a variety of whole grains (brown rice, milliet, quinoa, etc.), with salmon. Can't go wrong.

Also important to avoid the non-organic meats and poultry which contain anti-biotics and hormones.

7. AVOID THE DIRTY DOZEN:
    There are certain foods that you should try to buy organic as much as possible, ones containing the most pesticide residues. This is a list from 2003:

THE DIRTY DOZEN
    Apples
    Bell Peppers
    Celery
    Cherries
    Grapes (imported)
    Nectarines
    Peaches
    Pears
    Potatoes
    Red Raspberries
    Spinach
    Strawberries

It's not all or nothing. Just do your best!

Take care,
    Hopeful4

7. kch64

kch64 New Member

I try to buy organic as much as possible too.

I did read that strawberries are very important to buy organic, and now one of the posts says carrots.

You gave the dirty dozen list.Thanks for that.

I have started buying organic milk and butter.

In our area there are Giant Food supermarkets and they have started carrying a lot of organic product.

I try to buy the Laura's beef for no hormones and antibiotics. I need to find a good brand of chicken.

I've tried organic chicken in the past and it's always tough.

I can tell a difference also. Good ideas here.

8. kch64

kch64 New Member

9. bigmh

bigmh New Member

My husband and I are fruit growers in eastern Washington, and use traditional farming practices to grow our fruit. There are a few organic growers in our area, one in particular comes to mind. They use their dairy cow manure to fertilize their apples. It absolutely reeks when you drive by, especially on a hot summer day. I would rather eat our own.

There are quite a few old-timers that live right around us, and all are fruit growers. They have been in traditional agriculture most of their lives, and range in age from 75-95. Most are still going strong and working daily. Two died recently at 94 years each.

Organic is fine, but please research the farming practices before blindly accepting it as "better". Also, there is a media bias toward traditional farming practices that likes to unduly scare people, i.e., the alar ban, Meryl Streep, etc. in the 1980's or 1990's. After alar was banned and many apple growers went out of business, it was found to be harmless.

Good luck to you all as we try to find the answer to this DD! B
  10. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

One advantage of living in a rural area is that there is someone who raises organic beef, pork, chicken and eggs and sells them at a fairly reasonable price. There is a weekly farmer's market in the summer and a couple of the vendors had organic produce. The organic produce in the grocery stores is limited in variety, high in price, and often low in quality.

I tried to grow some lettuce at my parent's farm this summer, but only got two pickings before something else kept it grazed down. I did pick some blackberries along a abandoned RR track this summer and froze some of them. My parents and I also got some apples from the trees at a no-longer-occupied farmstead this fall.
  11. tigger5

tigger5 New Member

I had forgotten about this until I read an article tonight...

Many of the fruits and vegetables that are sold in stores today are irradiated - zapped by radiation waves to kill bacteria. The problem is that it also kills all the living enzymes that are necessary for good digestion.
  12. Prunella

Prunella New Member

Organic as much as possible and also avoid ALL additives and preservatives in food. Makes a big difference for me.
  13. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

I would like to 'go' organic but it is expensive. As has already been said, I try to do the best I can. Our local butcher now sells hormone free grazed beef etc., but it costs.

Interestingly, I bought some organic snow peas the other week - I think it ended up costing about 40c a snow pea, but they lasted sooooo long in the fridge, much longer than the one I would usually buy would last.

Organic is becoming cheaper here, and we have lots of local markets opening up for the week-ends, but has already been mentioned, some of the market garden produce can be tainted.

I was told, by a regular market gardener at our local week-end market, that some local market gardeners there were asked to leave the market site because they were using human excrement as fertilizer. This is a not uncommon proceedure in some parts of Asia and the farmers continued the practice when they started farming in Aust.

So I guess we have to take care because not even the term organic is automatically a guarantee of good quality.
  14. elastigirl

elastigirl New Member

Organic food makes me feel better. I feel more like I've really eaten after I've had an organic meal. We throw away so much less food when we buy organic food.

A traditional processed-food American meal can make me down right sick :(.

I just read that pesticides are now being found in the blood of newborn infants. The medical field used to believe that mercury, fire retardants and pesticides could not pass through the placenta. Now they've found out that's just not true.

Although the sample of babies tested was small, if I had to do it over again, I would have been on an organic diet when I was pregnant.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/03/2005]
  15. kch64

kch64 New Member

It does seem to last longer. Even the beef I buy lasts longer than normal.

I don't know why that is. Guess there's no junk to break it down fast.

I never heard of the human excrement stuff. Yuck, that would turn me off in a minute.

However, most of it I've bought seems to be better tasting and last longer.

I bought some organic potatoes that were "Paul Newman's" brand. Were they ever good. That's the first organic potato I had ever eaten. They didn't have that bitter taste (acidic??) that some potatoes have.

Yes things do tend to be more expensive, but if we contintue to support then maybe the prices will fall.

There's an organic market here in VA called "My Organic Market". I've not been there yet, but some of my friends say it's really good and that the prices are reasonable.

I think most of the organic food I've tried tastes better than average food. [This Message was Edited on 12/03/2005]
  16. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Thanks to everyone for all of the information. I learned a lot.
    Terry