Organic lifestyle and CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cymbeline, Jul 17, 2006.

1. cymbeline

cymbeline New Member

After being diagnosed with CFS after probably nearly 20 years i did a lot of research and decided to adopt an organic lifestyle. I also changed to using all natural products and cleaning products which seems to help. I have only started doing this in the last couple of months and am wondering if anyone else has also made these kind of changes and how it is working out for them. I still feel a bit unsure about everything and would really appreciate any advice or just sharing of stories.
  2. Malen

Malen New Member

I stopped using most harsh chemical cleaners and such years ago, and right now am in the process of getting my diet to as much organic, preservative and additive free diet as possible.

The cleaners I've found are best are Sun and Earth, 7th Generation, Bon Ami (when you need a scrubber), white wine vinegar (for windows). Just look for things that don't have scent, bleach and colorants. That's the best rule or thumb.
  3. SweetT

SweetT New Member

Yes, even before my diagnosis, I strived to live a natural, organic lifestyle. I too use Sun and Earth and Seventh Generation products, and make my own skin creams and lotions (out of natural butters and fixed and essential oils.
  4. NancyMystic

NancyMystic New Member

I like Burts Bees products (when they go on sale)

I use a honey/olive oil blend to condition my hair, which is better than any commercial conditioner I've ever tried.

Yum yum, SweetT - tell me more about the stuff you make yourself. Sounds wonderful!

Nancy
  5. cymbeline

cymbeline New Member

I am pleased to hear other people are doing this too. Thanks for replying to me. Do you find it has made a difference to youand in what ways? Can you tell me more about the stuff you make yourselves, it all sounds great!
  6. Malen

Malen New Member

Since I have multiple chemical sensitivity, I see the difference in the fact that I can clean w/o getting a headache and brain-fog from all the toxic chemicals

I get an emotional boost too, knowing that the products I use aren't adding to environmental pollution.

If you're looking at lotions and the like, avoid things again with fragrance or color, mineral oil (baby oil--petroleum by-product).
  7. SweetT

SweetT New Member

I have to admit that I cannot always afford organic fruits and vegetables, but when I cannot, I spray them with vinegar after rinsing and then I rinse them again.

Basically, and I'm not trying to offend anyone, I cannot shop at places like Aldi's and Save A Lot, where they mostly sell processed, packaged food, their fruits and vegetables don't look inviting, and their meat doesn't look trustworthy. I feel better not eating {again, not trying to offend} stuff like OnCor salisbury steaks or hot dogs or honey buns or packages cookies and cakes (instead of bakery items----when I do splurge and eat sweets).I happen to have a sensitive stomach that cannot tolerate dairy, meat in high quantities, and processed foods. If you have a stomach of iron, that's great.

For my homemade items, I will mix shea or mango or cocoa butter and perhaps jojoba oil and emu oil and some essential oils like lavender, and melt them and stir them, for a natural rememdy for cuts and scrapes and marks and scars, etc. It also makes a great deep conditioner.