Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shari1677, Apr 8, 2009.

1. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

Since my diagnosis about 5 years ago, I have gained a tremendous amount of weight - about 100 pounds, but then again, before my diagnosis, I was running 5 miles a day too and obviously, now I can barely walk down the stairs.

Along with my diagnosis, I quit eating as healthy, it seemed to take too much energy for me to cook and create meals like I once had and I rely heavily on processed and take-out foods.

How much of you have really - I mean really, God's honest truth - have noticed a significant difference (SIGNIFICANT) in your symptoms when eating organic?

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

afford organic food?

I feel I'm lucky. I was born during WWII. Back then, food had flavor. And was organic.

Cake mixes and frozen dinners and preservatives were all in the future.

When my Aunt Myrtle came to town, she'd bring us a quart of cream, or a slab of bacon.
    We had corn and tomatoes and asparagus and radishes and carrots etc. from our own
    garden. In the summer a farmer would come to town w/ a pick up truck filled w/ watermelons:
    25 cents apiece.

I would hear the ladies talking at the market. "Well, I've put up 4 dozen quarts of tomatoes
    and peaches so far. I think I'll do some vegetables this week.

Many people were still doing slow cooking on a wood stove. Women brought their best dishes
    to a potluck, and a church supper, at a cost of 50 cents, was a feast.

And people both consumed a lot of calories and worked them off. Unlike today, there were
    only two fat kids in our village. Now we have toddlers w/ the build of the middle-aged.

Pass me some of that hotdish, please.

3. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

For me, it's not so much about organic as it is not eating preprocessed foods. Although it is energy consuming to cook at home, I don't eat anything out of a box. The less processed food I eat, the better I feel. I take time out once every couple of weeks, cook, cook, cook, freeze whatever I will eat later and go from there. That way I know what is in my food and I know I'm not eating preservatives and all sorts of crazy crap they put in food now. And the only thing I will eat from a can are corn and beans. Everything else comes from local produce and my at home concoctions.

So it's not necessarily that we need more organic (although it does help), it's just that we need to eat less processed food. Organic is expensive and in my house we live on one income so it's not really an option. Hope this helps!

4. nixon

nixon New Member

I've been a fairly healthy eater since about 1995. I didn't develope FMS/CFS until around 2004-2005. I RARELY ( about 1-2 a year) eat FAST food. I buy as much organic as I can, can't always afford alot.

I try to stay away from processed foods as much as possible. My biggest downfall is I drink soda!! Not alot....I used to drink at least a 6 pack a day...while growing up, also ate ALOT of fast food growing up.

Back in 2005 I went off ALL caffeine, meat, and sweets( choclate). I was juicing daily, eating alot of legumes,veggies, fruits, whole grains. I was also fasting one day every week.....I did get to the point of feeling pretty decent ( lost weight also), was able to go back to work.

After working 5 months.....I totally CRASHED, havenot been right since!
    I've also developed ALOT of female problems. I NEED to try to go back to the juicing, ETC!! It TAKES alot of WORK THOUGH!!! I still eat VERY healthy, as I mentioned before SODA is my downfall ( I probably drink 12-24 ozs. a day) I also drink a bunch of water daily,( at least 64-72 ozs. daily) I'm ALWAYS thirsty!!! I believe ORGANIC is good, but heck it is VERY EXPENSIVE!! When I got to feeling healthy in 2005/06, EVERYTHING I used wasn't ORGANIC........about HALF of what I used was.

Hope this sheds some light on it.........My experiences!! Andrea
  5. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I've tried all the diets including all organic, wheat and dairy and sugar free - it made no difference - BUT some of these diets DO help some people.

Many people on the board have been helped by diet modifications - I am sure they will help guide you on what you can do.

For me, healthy eating (no processed foods) and high protein/low carb diet with lots of fresh fruit and veggies is the best for me but I am still unwell.

Hope others can help more - anything's worth a try as long as it doesn't cost you too much money.

Love Bunchy x