organizing at work and home

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AuntieV, Mar 1, 2006.

1. AuntieV

AuntieV Member

Hi Guys,

I wonder if any of you can help with organizing paperwork

at home and at work. At work I am responsible for Accts. Payable & receivables, Payroll, General Ledger, Job Costs,
    Fuel taxes, Sales Taxes, as well as general office things.
    My office looks like a disaster area....Stacks of papers, files,etc. I am constantly looking for things that I can
    never put my hands on...With my brain drain...I file incorrectly, (do you know what I mean?) Also have problem
    but on a much smaller scale at home...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...before the boss
    fires me...THanks for all your help!!!!!
  2. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

but, what you described was what I was experienced at my last job before I left work for good and went on disability. I could not focus, every task seemed monumental, I could not remember anything my boss asked me to do so I walked around with a pad a pencil to jot down notes. I know exactly what you are talking about. Sometimes my boss would be giving me instructions and all I would hear was "blah, blah, blah, blah"...nothing made sense. It was scary.

In addition to these problems, I was always so exhausted that I would bring a couple of pillows and a blanket and nap in my car during lunch time and breaks.

My doctor advised me to take a medical leave of absense. I took a short-term leave which led to a long-term leave. In order to qualify for long-term leave, the company required me to file for Social Security Disability, which I did. I was approved for SSD and have never been able to work since then.

I know this doesn't help you in the sense of giving you tips to be better organized. However, your disorganization might stem from a medical condition. If I were you, I would start a medical file or journal and note the things that are getting harder for you to do. You might never need it, but if things get worse for you, it might be helpful

Lolalee
  3. crdmkr2004

crdmkr2004 New Member

Hi There
    I know exactly how you feel. I have been trying to reorganize my home(whenever I have a good day) to make things less stressful. I used these websites and found them extremely helpful. CHeck them out. Just put a www in front of them lifeorganizers.com and realsimple.com
    Hope this helps, let me know what you think okay.
    Sandy
  4. AuntieV

AuntieV Member

Thanks for the 2 websites...they both had lots of info

that will really help especially at home!!!!In one of my

other posts I said "got to work with one black sock and

one blue sock" one of the sites said to match them up and

but in baggies, and label for BLACK or BLUE SOCKS!!!!

THANKS

VICKI
  5. crdmkr2004

crdmkr2004 New Member

Auntie V
    Glad I could help. I think everyone could learn alot from those sites, organization makes life so much easier.
    Take care
    Sandy
  6. AuntieV

AuntieV Member

I keep making silly mistakes at work....AND A MAJOR BIG
    MISTAKE>>>>>GAVE PRESIDENT OF THE COMPANY'S WIFE THE WRONG
    PAYROLL CHECK>>>>>>I REALIZED WHAT I HAD DONE BEFORE SHE LEFT THE OFFICE>>>>I Hope I am not loosing my mind. Does
    anyone else do crazy things like this.

@@*@$((????????

Vicki
  7. AuntieV

AuntieV Member

HI HOOTIE,

I LIVE IN NORTH CAROLINA...I'VE STARTED WITH THE EXCEL

SPREADSHEETS AND THAT HAS HELPED..THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT

PLEASE STAY IN TOUCH...HOPE YOU GET HELP AT THE FIBRO CENTER

8. kch64

kch64 New Member

There's a good book you can read called "Taming the Paper Tiger". It might help you.

This is my suggestion. Take some time and Clear a large space off on your desk.

just take all the piles of paper and put them to the side.

Get three baskets or boxes that the paper/files will fit into. Just any box. An empty Xerox box will do. Get 3 of them.

Now, mark on the outside of one "TRASH", the next box Mark "FILE" and the next box "WORK NOW or URGENT".

Put them on the floor or on the blank desk space.

Pick up a pile of work. Any pile and start going through it page or file by file. Put each piece of paper in one of the bins. If it's work that's urgent, put it in the urgent work box.
    If it needs to be filed, then put it in the file box.
    Trash goes in the trash box.

Now, after you've sorted all the stuff on your desk, you know where you're headed.

Throw the trash into the recycle box at work, or in the trash can.

Leave the file stuff in the box until you finish the Urgent/Work box, because that's the priority.

Once you finish or attempt to do as much as possible with the work box, then you will be able to get to the filing.

AS you work on the work box pile, if you finish with something and it becomes a file, throw it in the file box to file later.

Once your work box is completed or done as much as possible, concentrate on setting up your files or filing the paper in the file box.

This should get you on track.

I'm not a naturally organized person, however, I've found that when I have clutter everywhere, it disorients me more.

If you make a space for everything, whether it be a file or a special bin, then you know where to find it the next time around. Always try to find a "home" for the piece of paper that's in your hand.

Kendra
    [This Message was Edited on 03/21/2006]